Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default Steam & Seal bags????

OK, so the biggest loser featured the Steam & Seal bags which I'd never even heard of. Since I normally "steam" my veggies in the microwave anyway I figured the bag would help keep the nutrients in the veggies better and safer. So I went to purchase these and then went to the frozen veggie section, low and behold Birdseye is selling their veggies in special bags specifically for this purpose, and they (at least the ones I bought ) didn't cost any more than the other ones!

These are great for those nights you get home late and just want something quick, easy and healthy! Me, I threw the veggties in the mic and fish on the broiler, DELISH!

Anyone have any idea if these bags are truly safe? Or anyone have recipe ideas?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #2  

I use the veggies already in the steam bags just make sure they haven't added stuff like butter or what not.

I have also used the ziplock steam bags. I did asparagus with some salt/pepper and a little butter. MY kids requested it again. They loved the little trees. I have made asparagus before and they wouldn't eat it.

Tammie
Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #3  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

While it is no doubt very easy and convienent, (I've used the Birdeye's bags before), I'll just stick with my steamer tray in a pan on the stove. Frankly, it's just cheaper for me to do so.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #4  
Determined to lose!

Nemesis... I used to use those then I heard the microwave is better, I just thrown them in a mic safe glass bowl and steam... I hear they keep more vitamins even this way than the old water steam!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I steam in the microwave a lot, but I just pour the fresh or frozen veggies on a glass plate or in a glass bowl, dampen a paper towel and set it lightly on top of the vegetables and microwave. It doesn't dirty any more dishes than the steaming bags would because if I'm steaming for just myself, I use a single serving plate/bowl and eat from the same dish I microwaved in. If I'm cooking for several people, the dish I steam in is the dish I serve in(I just warn guests that the dish may be hot).

In the summer with sweet corn, I clean the ears of corn, wrap each in a dry paper towel, then run each ear under running water until the paper towel is wet and microwave on a glass plate for about 2minutes per ear.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-21-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #6  
Determined to lose!

actually you can microwave the ears of corn right in the husk! When I used to eat corn I'd pull back husks and put butter on it.... rewrap with husks and mmmm mmm good!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #7  

How do you get all the silk out without removing the husk? I can shuck and pull off all the silk of about six ears of corn in the time it takes to remove the silk but leave the husk on one ear.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, I don't get the point of the steam bags. You can put the same veggies in a bowl, cover with a damp towel or papercloth and microwave them.

And you're not adding another piece of plastic trash to a landfill when you're done.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #9  
Determined to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
How do you get all the silk out without removing the husk? I can shuck and pull off all the silk of about six ears of corn in the time it takes to remove the silk but leave the husk on one ear.
AFTER you cook the corn you shuck!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Loriann7; 02-22-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #10  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

what I liked about these bags is the fact they showed you cooking chicken breast in the bags in the microwave - I wnat to try them for that (for my dh who is big on protein)
Old 02-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #11  

Loriann7,

Ok, guess I'm a little dense. You pull back the husk, and butter it (with all the hairy silk still on?), cook it - and then remove the husk and the silk?
Old 02-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #12  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Now there's a hairy corn...personally, I like mine shaved....
Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I use the steaming bags for the microwave. Whenever I've tried following the microwave directions on a bag of frozen veggies before, it would either be too crunchy for my liking or I would anticipate it being too crunchy (I don't like crispy veggies), would cook it a bit longer, and would end up with mushy brown veggies--I just couldn't quite get it right! With the bags, they seem to cook perfectly.

I couldn't find any frozen cauliflower at my grocery store that comes in the steamable bag without any butter or anything added, so these steaming bags were great for my cauliflower.

I plan to try some asparagus and some meats. Also, I don't know which brand was on The Biggest Loser, but I bought the Glad brand because they were cheaper than the Ziploc brand.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONNABE165 View Post
what I liked about these bags is the fact they showed you cooking chicken breast in the bags in the microwave - I wnat to try them for that (for my dh who is big on protein)
I was wondering about the chicken too.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #15  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

The chicken cooks ok in the bag. I've done one or two of the recipes they had online. However, I think the chicken is tastier on the George Foreman grill or in a greaseless pan.

I cook frozen vegetables in the microwave using corningware and no added water. Then the corningware becomes the serving dish. I've done this for years. I cook most fresh vegetables this way as well. The corningware goes into the dishwasher and I have no pan to wash and no plastic bag to throw out.

I bought my first microwave when they were still so novel that a purchase came with a free cookiing class. I decided that to justify the purchase (think Amana RadarRange) I would try to cook for the first month using only the microwave. That caused me to really learn how to use it and the habits have remained.

Last edited by WebRover; 04-07-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Closed Thread