Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/205/120 PREGNANT!

Talking White Tea

I am having trouble with the forum search, so sorry if there's a million threads about this somewhere...

I was just wondering if anybody drinks white (or other teas) on a regular basis and if they have noticed (or just know) about the health benefits. I am pregnant and don't want to overdo it with caffeine and what not, but I hear that white tea has tons of health benefits.
Anybody experienced??

.susan.
suddenly susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd definitely avoid any caffeine if you are pregnant. I know caffeine isn't good for children and I can't imagine it is good for a developing fetus...

That said, White tea (any tea) has a lot of antioxidants so it is good for you. You can drink decaffeinated white tea if you like and you can easily decaffeinate it yourself but it will always have some caffeine.

If you want antioxidants, maybe look towards other means such as blueberries, cranberries and other antioxidant rich foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

I drink (diet) iced white & green tea constantly throughout the day, which is supposed to be full of antioxidants and all that good stuff, but I really don't notice any benefits from drinking it other than that it tastes really good compared to plain water. ^^
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

To start off, white tea has very little caffiene compared to black and green varieties, so if you're watching you're intake it's probably a good one to drink.

I drink a lot of different teas (www.teavana.com - has a lot of teas and info) I drink coffee in the morning and tea during the day and into the evening. I don't drink it solely for the health benefits, but it's just an added plus. I also drank it throughout my pregnancy with no problems. Most teas are fine to drink in moderation but some herbal varieties can have side effects so I would read up on any that you drink on a regular basis (e.g. chammomile can cause uterine mild uterine contractions and bleeding, so not recommended in the 1st trimester).

As for the antioxidant question, here is a Q&A from 3FC main site; the main point, you get higher levels of antioxidants if you drink the real stuff, not the decaf.

Q: Is there any difference in the antioxidant levels of regular and decaf coffees and teas? Also, despite the antioxidant benefits, isn’t the caffeine still bad for you?
A: Compared to decaf, regular green tea contains about three times as much EGCG, the antioxidant phytochemical that has shown cancer-prevention effects in some laboratory studies. Similarly, decaf black tea, which contains another, less-studied antioxidant called theorubigin, also has lower amounts (about 50 percent less) than its regular counterpart. Limited research suggests that chlorogenic acid, one of the main antioxidants in coffee, may be lower in decaf coffee as well. However, even with decaf versions, the true antioxidant benefits you receive depends on how much you drink. As for concerns about caffeine, when consumed in moderation, it may not be as bad as you think. Some studies now suggest that caffeine's purported role in increasing blood pressure may not be linked as strongly to coffee and tea. Note that people with sleep difficulties, however, do need to be careful about the amount and timing of caffeine consumption. Also, most health experts suggest that pregnant women limit total daily caffeine from coffee, soft drinks and other sources to about 300 milligrams, the equivalent of three 6-ounce cups of regular coffee.

Last edited by emiloots; 02-16-2008 at 10:38 PM.
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I drink a lot of tea--hot tea, British style, for breakfast, iced tea at lunch or dinner, and green tea before bed. I haven't noticed any health benefits--but then, I'm very rarely ill, so maybe that IS a benefit.

I love the aroma of coffee but don't like the bitterness, and I'm not a soda person at all. Love tea, though!
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #6  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

What?! You can easily decaffinate tea yourself? How does one do this?
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #7  
Just Me

Julia,

Caffeine comes off of tea leaves fast. When I was in China, they always brewed a first batch and said never drink the first batch as it was 'bad'. Really, the first batch is where 90% of the caffeine resides. So if you brew a cup of tea, throw the tea out then rebrew with fresh water, you will have mostly decaf tea.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #8  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

Does that make the tea really weak?
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #9  
Just Me

I've only tried it with tea leaves, never a bagged tea. It tastes fine as tea leaves tend to keep the flavor and can be brewed many times over.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

You can brew green tea leaves at least 3 times before they start to "weaken". More if it's really high quality tea.

Also, different teas should be brewed at different temperatures.

Black, Rooiboos, & herbal~Near boiling water
Green tea~150-160 degrees F
White tea~190 degrees F

Green and white teas are more delicate then black teas.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote