The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default ANSWERED Week 3: Ask a dietitian - courtesy of Extra Gum and the Biggest Loser!

Great news! The Q/A was such a great opportunity for our members that Molly Gee has agreed to do it again! So please feel free to post more questions, and we'll see her again next week for replies. If all goes well, she will return several more times We'll have another drawing the very last week that she's here, with more Biggest Loser prizes to win

In case you missed it, here's the link to the last Q/A with Molly Gee http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130594

Here are the details

Extra Gum has teamed up with the Biggest Loser TV show, and are offering their spokesperson to 3FC members for several weeks! Molly Gee, RD, has more than 25 years experience in health and nutrition communications and the clinical management of obesity. Ms. Gee is a dynamic leader in the American Dietetic Association (ADA). She is the co-founder and 2004 chair of the ADA’s new Weight Management Dietetics Practice Group, and is on the organization’s Obesity Steering Committee. Ms. Gee will be here to answer your questions about nutrition, weight loss, or even the Biggest Loser!

Here's how it works.. For the next week you can reply to this post with your question. Please only post questions for Ms. Gee, as any other posts or discussions will be deleted. You are welcome to post more than one question. Next week Ms. Gee will return to answer your questions!

This promotion is part of Extra Gum's Reveal a New You and you can learn more about it at http://www.gumisgood.com/extrarevealnewyou/

Thanks for participating, and we're looking forward to your questions!

Molly's responses consist of general advice and information for forum viewers. Her answers should not replace advice from a personal registered dietician or your physician. Always consult your physician before making any major changes to your diet or fitness regimes.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Molly Gee, thanks for being here to help! I LOVE The Biggest Loser!!!

Here's my question: I am wondering what you opinion of a carefully planned (to meet or exceed all basic nutritional, micro and macro nutrient and caloric needs) vegan diet is. Do you think it is possible to be healthy, long term, on a vegan diet?

I have been vegan for a long time and eat broccoli, kale, onions, garlic, citrus and flax pretty much every day. I am working on losing weight by counting calories and exercising.

Some nutritionists aren't supportive of a 100% vegan diet.

What says you?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #3  

Hi Molly,
Thanks again for coming in and answering our questions, mine is easy I hope, I love salad dressings on my salad. I know I should go for the vinegarettes and low cla dressings, or something like ranch, but I love blue cheese and french dressings mixed. I always order on the side and try to use just a little, is it ok to eat dressing on my salads if I make up for the calories elsewhere? Thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Molly, thank you for your continued assistance

Is there a significant difference between regular yogurt and the newer "active culture" varieties (like Activa)?
Do your recommend incorporating these products into a weight-loss plan?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #5  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

[QUOTE=SoulBliss;2018118] Do you think it is possible to be healthy, long term, on a vegan diet?
QUOTE]

I would love to know your opinion on this as well.

Also I would like to know if you believe that food allergies can be contributing factors of being overweight.
This may sound crazy but I had a college professer and a psychic tell me that I was allergic to wheat. When I asked my doctor he said that persons who are gluten sensitve/allergic are usually underweight. I have many of the symptoms as well. I am also hypothyroid fyi.
Can overweight people have gluten allergies that hinder weight loss?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I can't believe I am admitting this. My daughter will not eat cooked pasta. She loves to crunch on uncooked whole grain spaghetti noodles though. Is there any harm in eating uncooked pasta?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 403/250/150

Height: 5'8"

I've lowered my caloric intake and have started exercising and I dropped 5lbs right away but now I've gained 10, is there a reason for this? am I doing something wrong?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #8  
Work it!

S/C/G: 195/193/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Molly!

I know that flax, coconut, hemp oils, etc. are GOOD fats and work in the body a totally different way. With that being said, do I need to calculate those nutritional facts into my daily allowance?

Thank you for your reply!!

Peace 'n Light,

Jewel
Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 323/323/145

Height: 5"8'

Hi. Molly...

I have a couple of questions.

First...What is the best time to get on a scale and weight yourself?

Second...I just started on my WL journey. I find that even if I get 8 hours sleep I am still tired. Is there something special that I should be adding to my diet? Or should I add a vitamin to help?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Raven78; 01-27-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I have been DYING to ask a professional this question:

I have been diagnosed as a "supertaster" (that I have more tastebuds than normal and therefore taste things more strongly) by several medical professionals -- I had to get more than one opinion when the first one told me, haha! This means that veggies, especially, taste unbelievably bitter to me, to the point where I really can't eat them. I try to cook/hide them in things, but it usually doesn't work.

My question is, how can I lose weight without loading up on veggies like most people do?? It's really frustrating!!

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #11  
I will be a fit chick

S/C/G: 128/128/108

Height: 4'11

Default Adjusting Metabolism?

I am desparate for advice on tbis subject. Due to years of yoyo dieting, skipping meals for days then binging, I know I have screwed up my metobolism big time. What can I do to bring it back! Anytime I tried eating 3 small meals and 2 snacks I just gained weight even if the calorie content was low. I can eat about 900 calories a day and workout for 60-90 minutes only to barely loose 1/2 to one pound in a week. What sholismould I do?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

I am currently on South Beach first question do you think this is a good balanced diet plan?

2nd question.....What is your thought on these high fat low carb diets, I lost weight on them but did not feel like I was eating "healthy"..I know some people who swares by them and have lost ALOT of weight but is this really heathly?

How can we determine how many calories we should be eating to lose the weight?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #13  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

May we ask some Biggest Loser questions?

If so, the men all lose more and faster than women and we all know why, at least those of us who have bothered to research it and/or discuss it in this or other weightloss forums.

Will there ever be an episode on the show where this will be discussed? Women have so many other issues involved slowing down their weight loss efforts. Everything to slowed down metabolism, age, hormones, stress hormones, Time of the month. A man and a woman with the same amount to lose and doing the same diet and exercise program, I would bet away my car, that the man will lose faster and easier than the woman. I really think this needs to be recognized on this show.

The team drafting last night where Bob choose mostly men was SO obvious. He wants to win and there's a really good chance he will with his mostly male dominated Blue team.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

I noticed while watching The Biggest Loser that the focus seem to be more on challenges and workouts but I want to know what are the contestants actually eating? What are the diets like?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

Two questions if I may. I'm excited about this opportunity!

I have read a lot of anecdotal evidence supporting the theory that boosting calories may shove someone off of a plateau. Are there any studies that support this assertion, and why would it be true?

I have also read a lot of contradictory information about "starvation mode" that will "kill metabolism." Is there any evidence that the starvation mode actually exists, and does it really destroy a person's metabolism?

Looking forward to all of the answers. Thanks!