Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default Back on track! Jan 2008

Oaky, we tried this in December and the thread kind of died so does anyone want to give it another go?

I started to try to detox from the holidays on Wednesday. So far the plan is no alcohol for the next 4 weeks, cut back on coffee and no white bread. I I had no alcohol since New Year's Eve ( I skipped my Friday night glass of wine with dinner) and only 1 coffee since last Sunday. The white bread is another story altogether

I can't grocery shop until Wednesday (payday ) but the plan is to eat vegetarian meals during the week and eat meat only on the weekends (a compromise with my DH). So next week's shop is going to be a big one to restock the pantry and fridge with whole wheat products, fresh fruit and veg and some healthy snacks. I am also going to try a couple of new recipes and meal plan before shopping. I also need to buy some vitamins.

Today I did 20 minutes of yoga stretches, walked 40 minutes and spent an hour shoveling snow. I will sleep well tonight!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #2  
The Witchy Veggie

S/C/G: 297.3/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I can't grocery shop until my financial aid comes in the 14th. -sighs- I'm moving in with my sister for the semester and summer who is crazy obsessed with proving how Southern she is (no offense to any proud Southerners here, but my mother is from Maryland and my dad grew up in Miami. She taught herself the accent. Enough said). That usually includes as much starchy, greasy, meat-filled food as possible. Not that there's anything wrong with meat, but she's convinced that I'm going to try to force feed her tofu.

My new, permanent plan is ridiculously exciting! I actually get rewards when I do my exercise and eat right. Today, I did an hour of fast walking in sand broken into 4 15 minute sessions. I am barely able to move at this point. Owww...

So is there anything special that we talk about on this topic, or is it an update thread?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #3  

I thought maybe it could be a daily tracking thread to helped us stay focused. We can post updates, menus, exercise, anything else we want ...

Today's plan for me:

B- kashi cereal with 2% milk, 1 apple, cup of decaf tea
s- lf, sf yogurt
L- veggie soup with crackers, 1 plum
d- ham, scalloped potatoes (ww recipe),mixed veg

Exercise will be shovelling more snow from my back yard. (40 minutes or more). I might go for a walk if I have anything left in the tank after that.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #4  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Well, lets see!
Quit smoking again but more importantly for the last time on Monday Three days, 10 hours, 8 minutes and 45 seconds. 34 cigarettes not smoked, saving $13.61. Life saved: 2 hours, 50 minutes.
So that was one huge step toward a healthier me. Then today started back to the old gym which I loved. New me, new attitude and a new body is on its way! Bring it!
Hugs to all
Virginia
Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #5  

We did our big shop this week and loaded up on fruit, veg and healthy snacks. The week has been pretty good but boy did I hurt after dance class on Tuesday. It showed me that I am a bit out of shape.

I have also done a bit more walking this week.

It must be working, the scale is telling me I have lost 2 lbs -

Virginia - good luck with quitting smoking - you can do it!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #6  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on quiting smoking! I've been cigarette free sense July, and i feel Soooo much better. You can do it!
I've been trying to exorcise every morning before school. I've been doing walk away the lbs and this personal training video that i have, alternating. But I have such a problem with being tired, even with exorcising in the morning, i'm exausted all day. I cant drink coffee because it kills my stumach, I dont know how to stay awake! I nap for an hour when i get home from school, and i'm in bed by 9pm. It's rediculous! I know it has alot to do with the medication i'm on... it's just so frustraiting! any advice?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #7  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Not sure where you are on meds, but I know the more I move my body the more energy I have. Was back at the gym this morning again. 30 minutes treadmill and then today was back day, yesterday arms and upper body and tomorrow is legs, cant wait for that. Thinking I may be changing my addiction from smoking to exercise. Not a bad switch. Drinking lots of water cleans out a lot of bad toxins in ones body too. I also drink a glass of pure oj in the morning with 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar, helps to curb craving and gets rid of a lot of toxins too.
Hope some of these things work for you. Looking forward to getting to know all of you new girls and hanging out again with the older ones. Mauvais you hot red head, are you still belly dancing?
Hugs to all
Virginia
Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #8  

I've managed to get a walk in at work everyday. Unfortunately I came down with the flu this weekend so I haven't been eating properly and no exercise.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #9  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Mauvais so sorry to hear you have not been feeling well. Hope the flu bug flys away soon, but please do not send him my way. Take care!
Virginia
Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #10  
The Witchy Veggie

S/C/G: 297.3/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

FINALLY got some groceries last night! My sister and I hit Macaroni's and the mall, so it was fun but maybe not the healthiest thing in the world. Bought a new watch and a pair of sunglasses, plus about 8 bangles. I love bangles.

Today is going to be back on track for me (ha! I made a lame pun!)
Breakfast:
Amy's Tofu Scramble Pocket
tangerine
milk

Lunch:
Hummus pita
veggies and dip
fruit salad

Snacks:
hummus and veggies
apple
light string cheese

Not sure what to do about dinner yet.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #11  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

So, to celebrate my sobriety my husband made me a pancake cake. It's basicaly 8 Swedish pancakes stacked with whipped cream and berries. It was something that was planned, so i adjusted my calories accordingly and had a small slice to reward myself. Well, later that night, the clasp on my favorite pair of pinstriped pants broke. greeeeeat. That'll teach me to celebrate with food again!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #12  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Hi there - I'm a total newbie, so I hope you don't mind me butting in? But this is an excellent idea for a thread, imho. (Hope you're feeling better by now, Mauvais?)

MangoKitty, holy crap, that's an AWESOME weightloss you've achieved so far! Very inspirational! Go Team!

I'm feeling very positive about finally changing my weight and my health this year, although I'm starting off fairly gently. I spent a week eating pretty low carb, in a haphazard and planless way, whilst reading Gary Taubes' book 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' - and even went to the gym a couple of times, in a no-pressure kind of way.

Then this week I've started PROPERLY, if you see what I mean, on the foodplan (although this week I'm not pressuring myself about the gym - I'm going to start the exercise stuff next week). I'm following Atkins. And I have to say, I'm definitely noticing that I feel less hungry, which is good. Although I'm still somewhat scandalised by the things I'm apparently allowed to eat on this diet - I mean, I've been reading the research, and it makes sense, but, damn, it still feels naughty to be cooking with cream/butter/suchlike.

Anyway, so far this week has been very good, but today I have forgotten to bring my lunch with me. Duh. So I'm going to dash out to grab a salad nicoise, insh'allah, and try very ****ing hard to ignore all the nice bread in the boulangerie. So far shopping has been no worry, in terms of ignoring the cookies/bread/cakes/whatever - I'm finding that my cravings are really gone just now. But can I survive the Boulangerie of Yummy Goodness? Now that's another question entirely...
Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 172/172/145

Height: 5' 6"

Broadabroad, you just gave me something to be grateful for about my crappy town that I dislike very much...I can tell people, "Well, the good thing about _____ [insert name of town] is that we have no boulangerie. Therefore, I find it easier to control my carbs." Hee Hee!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #14  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Hi gang!
Well one week back to the gym and I am down one pound. Does not seem like much but with quitting smoking at the same time I consider it a huge loss!! I have been quit now for One week, two days, 22 hours, 51 minutes and 9 seconds. 99 cigarettes not smoked, saving $39.57. Life saved: 8 hours, 15 minutes.
Feeling great actually. Really beleive it was my time to quit. Hope everyone is well, and enjoying life.
Hugs
Virginia
Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #15  

Welcome Broadabroad!

heidjn - you are funny!

I am feeling better now but sitll have a cough and stuffy nose - thanks for the well wishes everyone. On that note I did lose 1lb this week but it is probably due to the tea and toast diet I have been on

Mango and Virgina - way to go!

I unfortunately missed by dance class due to being sick so no exercise for me this week.

However, I have discovered a program on t.v. on Saturday mornings called "Shimmy" and was pleased to find that it is a bellydance exercise show! So I will be getting my yoga pants and my hipscarf on tomorrow morning to dance around the living room to make up for missing my class. I also found a show that is an Indian dance (Bangra (sp?)) so I may try that one out too.
Closed Thread