Old 12-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #1  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

Default hungry right after lunch - normal?

I just ate:

2 slices of whole wheat bread, w/
2 slices of turkey
1 cups of lettuce
1 cup of broccoli dipped in
2 tbsp light Ranch dressing

Why do I feel like I haven't even had lunch yet? This happens often. Is this normal, advice on how to fix it??

~jess~
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

That wouldnt do it for me either. I would add a yogurt on the side or cheese to the sandwich. Unless you eat the 6 small meals a day. But i eat three meals a day with one 3 pm snack. So for lunch, on my type of eating schedule, i would add pickles, cheese, tomato, onion,...basically any kind of veggie you can think of for a sandwich, plus the cheese. The fat and protien in the sandwich will aid the turkey in keeping you fuller longer, while all the veggies will give you that full feeling right after.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #3  
*meow*

Default the core issue

I frequently eat the 6 small meals a day. Typically I'd have a cup of soup, cheese and crackers and fruit 2 hrs after my first lunch. I guess this was a bad example.

The problem is I keep feeling that though I'm watching my intake [>1800 calories, >50 grams of fat and ~ 200-250 grams of carbs] I should feel satisfied with what I'm eating and I don't! I've been to the websites to determine the calories I need to lose a pound a week and I usually stay on task.

How do I stick with a diet and feel satisfied?!?!?!

~jess~
Old 12-01-2006, 01:56 PM   #4  

You have to tailor the diet to include the foods you like to eat. I'm getting a wealth of information from "YOU on a diet" for how to deal with situations like you describe. You might want to check out a copy at the library if you don't want to buy it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #5  

Also, its important to make sure that you are having a good breakfast. What you have for breakfast affects how full you full after the rest of your meals for the day
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #6  
*meow*

Today I had 1/2 a banana, coffee w/skim milk, a light english muffin and 1 tbsp of peanut butter. Maybe I should seek out a "Nutritionist" because I think my diet is pretty solid but it doesn't always feel right.

Thanks for all of your input!!!

~jess~
Old 12-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #7  
Goodbye Fat!

How much water are you drinking? This could help with the cravings. Sometimes I am thirsty, but think I am hungry.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Maybe add more turkey to your sandwich for more protein.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #9  

How about adding an apple or pear to your lunch? They are both high in fiber, which will keep you full. Soup will work too. How much fiber does your bread have? A lot of bread will say its 'whole wheat', but in reality its simply enriched flour. Look at the ingredient list--the 'wheat' should be one of the three ingredients listed.
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #10  
*meow*

1. I drink quite a few water bottles a day and spend most of my day running to the ladies room.

2. My fiber intake is high, always over 30 grams

3. I try to save my fruit for snack/dessert to keep me going as the day winds down.

I really appreciate all your responses!

~jess~
Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #11  
Mz. Matherne

S/C/G: 285/275/150

I have this problem alot, but most of the time I can go through it by just drinking water and that makes me feel fuller. I'm going to try some of advice also thanks guys.
dandk0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I always feel the need to continue eating after lunch. I know I've had enough, I know I'm not hungry, but I always want to eat. Your lunch would have filled me up - I eat 6 small meals a day and I'd probably have what you have but minus one slice of bread.

How about putting a HUGE side salad with that - it gives you something to munch through, will take a while to eat and for about 10 calories!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:00 AM   #13  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I have the same problem! I always bring a cup of broth to warm up and drink after my lunch and it seems to give me that full feeling pretty quick . Salad is a good plan too! It'll give your body long enough to process the rest of the stuff you ate and tell your brain it's full!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #14  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I had this problem! I'd had a big sandwich, eat some veggies, eat an apple, and drink a glass of milky and not only be unsatisfied I WOULD STILL BE HUNGRY. The thing to do? Make sure you are making your meals balanced... a little protein! a little fiber! So with my cup of cereal and skim milk I added a half of PB sandwich on 20 grain bread. That did it. I was amazed. I found the advice in a magazine and posted it on my fridge.

I ignored it for weeks until after TG break I'd eat breakfast at 9am and be starving by 9:30 in class. I asked the doc about it and he said that it may seem like adding unnecessary calories... but if It curbs the snackings and the sudden on-set of starvation... then I am cutting out all the things I'll munch on that won't satisfy that hunger.

Try a 1/2 cup crackable nuts
2 tbls of PB
Fiber First cereal
All Bran cereal with Yogurt
Oatmeal with raisins
Yogurt with tbls of granola

I also cut my sandwich in to quarters, eat at the table (away from music/tv/pc/etc), and work on learning to enjoy my food.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I have the exact same problem and posted a thread in the calorie counters forum yesterday; got lots of helpful advice. Everybody has these gimics to stop themselves from feeling starved, but it really seems to come with the dieting territory for some of us and nothing will fix it except a certain number of calories (I tend to feel "ok" on about 2000 calories per day) that is high enough that it will significantly delay one's weightloss efforts. Its worrying because I often get QUITE hostile and aggressive when I'm hungry. A happy thought is that you can often maintain on a rather high calorie count if you are working out (especially if you lift weight and have a fair amount of muscle mass to burn those calories). When I was in the 120s, I ate more than I'm eating now to lose this darn weight, so I am looking forward to eating more in a few months (what? a few more months of starving on 1900 calories per day!?). I recently went to a doctor and she recommended Meridia to control the hunger. I'm not sure if I want to try that stuff though, I'm thinking about it now. Since I dont have too much to lose, possibly I might try it for about 3 months. I KNOW I can maintain a healthy weight because I've managed it most of my life, so I wouldn't need help forever. I am not recommending this approach though as there are some potentially very bad side effects, this was just what my doctor said after I explained about the constant hunger and slow weightloss.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote