Old 11-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default I think I want to lose anywhere from 20 to 30 lbs.

10 would be a start.

Though, must say, me and my fiance are supposed to be trying to get pregnant. Then what??
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #2  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Well, you will gain weight during pregnancy. No two ways about that. But there are ways to take care of yourself and be a healthy weight while pregnant. Your doctor can help you with that, and you can go talk to some of the women in the "Dieting with Obstacles" area, who have been there and done that.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

Is there any way one could safely lose a couple of pounds of fat while pregnant? I mean if one is a bit overweight anyway? Wouldn't it be healthy then?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #4  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 154/148/115

Height: 4'11"

I want to chime in about taking care of yourself during pregnancy... and tell you it's awesome that you want to start now. I didn't eat healthy before I got pregnant the first time, but I was very active, played sports and was always out and about doing something. After I got pregnant, I used it as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted, whatever I craved regardless of how unhealthy it was, but in larger portions because "I was eating for two". I just a little bit more than I was supposed to but the big problems were that I got used to eating such massive portions and totally giving into cravings instead of eating the right things only when I was actually hungry. I also had blood pressure and blood suger problems. Now 3 pregnancies/kids later, I've gained a good 50 pounds more than I weighed before I got pregnant with the first and my body has detiorated from me not taking care of it while it was trying to take care of 3 other people.

My husband and I have talked about having another child, but I won't even consider it until I'm back in shape and healthy again. And let me tell ya, from seeing it done by so many around me, it's much eaiser to start off healthy and fit and keep it up before, during and after pregnancy than it is to just decide later on to try to get in shape whenever you feel like it.

It's better for you and better for your baby to be as healthy as possible. You'll have extra weight to carry, an extra person to nourish and the better shape your in before and during the easier it will be to recover from pregnancy afterwards. At least, that's what I keep trying to tell myself so I'll actually stick with it this time. So good for you on thinking ahead.

I'm trying to lose about the same amount of weight too. Have you thought how you're going to do it?

And I have known some people who actually lost a little weight during pregnancy, at least until the baby started geting huge.... but it was unintentional. They went from eating incredible fatty horrible foods to eating healthy foods and started a low impact exercise program and their bodies responded and actually lost weight during the first few months. But when the baby got bigger, they got bigger... it's just that were healthier so handled the pregnancy/labor/birth/recovery so much better. Ask a doctor. Most will tell you to just eat better but not diet. Don't withhold food and do overdo it with the exercising if you are already pregnant... you don't want to do anything that will mess with the baby's health and developement.

Last edited by inklestinkle; 11-27-2006 at 03:06 PM.
inklestinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #5  
Healthy mommy

Why thank you.

That's what I'm worried about, I'm worried if I become pregnant I will use that as an excuse to pig out and get up at all hours of the night to run out and get whatever junk I want to eat. I already need to lose weight, I don't want to be even BIGGER after the birth. I want to be healthy and burn fat. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it, it's hard when my fiance doesn't eat a lot of healthy foods and does the shopping generally, always wants a fatty meat and stuff, frozen pizzas, smoked sausages on bread, dirty rice or jambalaya, my delicious yet fattening chicken salad w/ hellman's mayo, plus we eat out at least once a week. He makes the money so he pretty much has the say about what we get. I mean he tries to find things we would agree on, but unfortunately it's all .. not-so-healthy stuff. So I'm not sure how I will go about losing the weight. And lately I've had a lot of fatigue and excessive-tiredness, I've found it hard to start any sort of exercise program, even walking. What are you gonna do?? Any tips? Good luck on getting in shape & healthy so you can have your 4th child.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:46 PM   #6  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

My sister loves doing aquasize (she's had 2 girls, and is now pregnant with her first boy). Basically, it's water aerobics. You could check out your local arena to see if they have prenatal aquasize. It's a great workout with low impact on your body.

I can't really give you advice about your fears, other than:
1. If you fear that getting pregnant will give you a mental excuse to just give'r with the food, then you really have 2 choices here. You can either continue to try to get pregnant, and you will or you will not pig out, or you can postpone until you are healthy enough physically and mentally to carry the nutrition of 2 people.

I don't say that to sound mean, but I would probably choose the second option, and use pregnancy as a motivator.

Good luck!
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #7  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Just because your husband makes the money, doesn't mean he gets to unilaterally decide what groceries to buy. A marriage is a partnership, and it needs to involve two people. He can keep on buying his junk, although personally I'd ask him to lay off it a little bit, or at least keep it out of your sight while you're trying to lose weight; but either way, you deserve to eat well whether or not you are the breadwinner, and it's selfish of him to say or act otherwise.

Also, if you're feeling abnormally tired lately, you might want to go get checked for thyroid issues. That can be a symptom of hypothyroidism.

I'd agree with Martini, by the way; doesn't your child deserve the best you can give it? So get yourself into the best shape you can BEFORE making your body your baby's environment.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #8  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

My partner and I have been talking about wanting to have kids lately, and I as excited as I am at that prospect, I've always felt that I want to be as healthy as possible before I get pregnant. The healthier you are, the less risks there are in the pregnancy (of course, there are things that can go wrong that are completely unrelated to your weight) - so why increase the chances of something going wrong? I also believe that if you've adopted a healthier likestyle before getting pregnant, you're more likely to find it easier to avoid overindulging while you're pregnant, because you'll have healthier habits. You will gain some weight, but it certainly doesn't have to be a lot. Sure, you're eating for 2, but the other one usually tops out at around 8 pounds, so you definitely don't need to double your food intake. Also, the healthier the food that you eat while pregnant, the more nutrients you're passingon to baby. And I think that if you're healthy throughout (eating nutritious food and exercising) you'll find it easier to get through the sleepless nights and whatnot after the baby is born. Realistically, you can lose 20-30 pounds in a few months, so it's not as if you're waiting that much longer to get pregnant.

Also, I definitely agree with Nikaia about the fact that earning the money shouldn't mean calling all the shots. Maybe you need to sit your husband down and let him know just how important this is to you, and how much you need his support. Hopefully he'll see the light!

Good luck!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW/253/CW231/GW175

Height: 5'8

Interesting..thread

I remember when i use to go to my Slimmingworld meetings there was always someone there who was pregnant..They would follow the plan but add a few more healthy extras to their daily amount. I've always thought when i get pregnant i want to be healthy as possible..cos those 9 months mean you have to really learn how to take care of your body...cos the habits you learn may be stuck with you for life as it is 9 months out of a year and at the end of it you'll have a baby that will also need to learn good eating habits...i think it's just very important to eat healthily and continue to do so when your pregnant, then it will be easier when your preganancy is over to maintain those habits.

Hope this helps
SlimmingWorldChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #10  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

Hi Fat Melanie! Welcome back....
Didn't you ask ths question when you came on the boards a while back? How have you been?! Congrats on the pregnancy goal.

Some of these girls hav said the most. Be healthy, eat healthy, live healthy. That should be your goal at this point.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote