Old 05-31-2006, 04:52 PM   #1  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Marriage and Weight Gain?

So I was talking to a friend that got married last Sept. and collectively the couple had gained over 50lbs. since they got married! Then i started thinking about all of my other married friends and it seemed that everyone gained a significant amount of weight after tying the knot! I know that was the case for my husband and I! Has anyone else noticed this trend?
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:03 PM   #2  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

Omg yes definatly. I gained probably about 40 lbs within the first couple years of marriage, THEN i got pregnant.. I think it just becuase of change of lifestyle and such..
Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:05 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

YES! Well, I got pregnant like 2 months into our marriage but I gained a TON before that! I think it was because when I was single I had more time just for ME to eat what was healthy, to exercise etc... and then I moved into his house and a new area and lost a little bit of my self... and that was a mistake on my part not to keep it up. It's a big lifestyle change!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/205/180

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Angry

I've been married for 3 months on the 11th of June and I think that this is true. For the first 3 weeks, I went home from work everyday, laid on the couch, and watched reruns. Now, I go straight to the gym after work. I had to stop feeling guilty about not being home everyday when he gets home..I figure he'd rather have me look the same in 6 months than have dinner on the table an hour earlier![/FONT]
meikajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #5  
~Jamie~

S/C/G: 310/310/200

Thanks guys! So I can expect to gain even more weight?!?!? (I'm getting married in Sept!!) Nah, I know that this is true...it's kind of like when you're single you tend to lose more weight than if you were in a relationship (at least that is how it has ALWAYS been w/ me!). Maybe I'll boycott marriage until I lose some weight...that way I won't gain as much..hehehehe Just kidding!!!
IrishCowgirl0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I believe this can be true. However I think I may be healthier now than I ever was. I took control of my weight and health. My friends are on the other side of this fence though and had gained the weight. I joke with my husband and tell him that he married me fat and I will divorce him skinny.

Yes we have an odd sense of humor!
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #7  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

I agree.. DH & I both have gained quite a bit of weight since we married.. will be 11yrs on Friday. I'm s.l.o.w.l.y. losing mine, i hope. I've been at this 5# standstill for what seems likes agessssss. He is hoping to start a program of some sort when we get back from vacation next week.
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #8  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

I Agree!!! Both DH and I gained quite a bit, about 20 to 30 Lb's extra! Our food habits changed after we got married, our activities changed, our social life...all contributed I think. I didn't realize until a few months ago just How much I gained!!!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

If you think marriage changes your weight wait till you have kids. You learn to eat what they want sometimes and before you know it you are the one eating the chicken nuggets and french fries. Not to mention even when you do make a dinner they will eat you end up finishing their plate. That is why whenever we go out to eat I try to order something I can share. This helps me limit my portion sizes without having to buy an extra meal for the kids as well. Only problem is now some restaurants don't allow you to share from a plate.

Oh and a note. Cracker Barrel lets anyone order from the Children's menu. Really helps control portions when you have to have those foods you shouldn't.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:25 PM   #10  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

I am not married and never have been, but definately find a trend in gaining weight when in a long term relationship.

I don't know if it is not needing to impress anybody or just being comfortable with someone, but the weight just seems to climb on.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:38 PM   #11  
...future runner...

S/C/G: 215/193.6/135

Yep, I gained about 65 pounds in the first two years of marriage and have kept it on until last year. But I vow never to the 200's again.
rosiek2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #12  
Mom to an active 1 yr old

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'8

I agree...I started gaining my weight when my Husband (at the time fiance) and I started living together...even though we weren't married we acted like we were and ate out a lot....its kind of funny that I have now been married for almost 2 years and I actually lost weight when I got married, but probably only because we lived together for a year before we got married.
Alaynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #13  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

You know I started to gain my weight when my hubby and I started living together prior to the marriage. But conversly when I started being interested in losing weight it has motivated him to as well. It is like 24/7 peer pressure being married, you start doing the same things, eating the same things etc...it takes one of you to be doing the right things, eating the right things...etc...
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #14  

definitley. i'm not married, but i have been living with my long term bf for two years and have gained about 30 lbs. i think it's because you start eating like a man. i felt that i had to cook him meat and potato meals and i was eating the same size portions as he was. and if he wanted something sweet, i would eat something sweet too. also, you always have someone to go out to eat with. you have someone else bringing their cravings to the table as well. sometimes after he would go to the grocery store i would be like "why the heck did he buy chocolate/icecream/snacks, etc... i'll be the one eating it!" plus, you always have a distraction from the gym. before, if i got bored, i would go to the gym, now i just hang out with my bf.

it's a hard cycle to change and i'm working on it.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #15  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

Yes, exactly Chicagoposter! I really think you've defined it for me, when my hubby, then bf started living together, i started eating like a man! Too big of portions and in addition to my own bad habbits, some of his too! Damn you KFC! I NEVER ate fried chicken till he was around!
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote