Old 04-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #1  
L A D Y J A M E S

S/C/G: 265/236/180

Height: 5'9

Question Counting Calories

I think I am finally ready to start counting calories, but I have a question. I have seen, on a number of weight-loss/health sites, and on a flyer at my doctor's office, that you should consume 15 calories per pound to maintain your weight. So theoretically, if I consumed enough calories for 200 pounds instead of 255 pounds, wouldn't the difference count towards total calories burned for the day? I am not trying to get out of exercising -- I actually want to step up what I do -- but I am trying to figure out about how long it will take me to reach 200 pounds.
ladyjames63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #2  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

You're right - that's what my doctor suggested i do - eat enough for the weight I wanted to be. And then any exercise you do is pretty much extra. That's actually what weight watchers is based on, too - they just came up with a formula to give points instead of calories, and they factor in fat, which increases the points value of a food, and fibre, which decreases the points value. you're definitely on the right track. Another way to look at it is to record what you eat now, and take off 500 calories a day - that should equal a loss of about a pound a week (although it absolutely varies person to person). Good luck!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #3  

The book "Calorie Queens" will explain all of this and more to you! It is really a very helpful book. You can find it on amazon. Also they have a web site. I think that would be a wonderful start.
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #4  

Good for you to take that approach. Eating adjustment is critical to weight loss. I use Fitday.com to keep track of my calories and exercise. It has a function that allows you to see if you're getting enough of the important nutrients as well. Good luck, you're on the right track!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #5  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

15 calories per pound huh? That would be 2025 calories per day for me to reach my goal (135) Depending on the day and depending on if I'm eating whatever I want or trying to eat clean I can eat anywhere from 1200 - 3000, some days I'm just not hungry...other's I can't stop....It is usually around 1800 - 2500 however...I've been trying to keep it between 1500 and 1800 to lose weight...it is really confusing but I guess you just have to experiment alot?
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #6  

Personally 2025 would be WAY too many calories for me. I'm around 12-1600 cals/day depending on my current weight. I've been roughly maintaining for around four years now. The number of calories based on that formula sounds a bit high.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm another vote for fitday.com. It has it's flaws but the folks here can help you learn how to use it effectively.

Has anybody pulled out the old 3500 calories make a pound theory?
If you want lose 55 lbs you'll need to eliminate 192,500 cals. Before you get too excited about that, remember that there are three ways to do that.
Eat less.
Move more.
or -- do both

Over a year that's a calorie deficit of 500 or so cals per day. Over six months that 1000 cals per day.
Just off the top of my head .... 500 cals per day would be ditching a couple of slices of buttered bread and taking a good brisk walk for 45 minutes or an hour.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #8  
L A D Y J A M E S

S/C/G: 265/236/180

Height: 5'9

Thanks for the advice! I joined Fitday today . . . I am not sure how they calculate my base calories, or anything else for that matter, but I am sure I will get the hang of it shortly.
ladyjames63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:18 PM   #9  

I love fitday!! I use the online version. Some buy it. But the online version is find for me. It is awesome. It allows you to track most everthing.

Also... when your not able to find the calorie counts for foods and stuff you can visit www.calorieking.com and that will help you find the calories and all information for items at no cost as well.
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote