Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 120

Default Homework Project (race project)

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is doing good on their weight loss plans. I am doing a project for class where I have to interview someone that has a different race then me(I am African American) and I was wondering will anyone like to post the anwsers to the following questions in regards to their reace (please indicate your race in responses). Thanks a lot buddies.

Here is the description of the project. *
nterview: The interview will be of someone from a different race or ethnicity than you. You will have to decide which category you place yourself into. The race or ethnicity choices you have are: Anglo, African-American, Asian, Hispanic, or Native American. For example, if you self identify as Hispanic then you need to interview someone of a different category than Hispanic. The topic of the interview is race.

What has their life been like?
What challenges have they faced as a group, individual?
In their opinion, what is the current status of race relations in our country?
What is the future outlook?
You should also take into account other factors of diversity that may have affected your interviewee’s life, i.e. age, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
(feel free to add any extra comments regarding your race)

Thanks again
snoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #2  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I could probaby help you out with this.

My life has had its ups and downs. I came from a poor to middle class family that put a big emphasis on working and family values. Everything I have in my life I have had to work to get and work to keep.

Based on race? Or just in general? Going to college was a challenge for me. Being from a working class family I had to work full time during school to pay my own tuition. This is ultimately what led to me dropping out, I just could not find enough hours in the day. Marrying my husband was a challenge, his family although not racist always asked me what my ethnicity was and often did not agree with my liberal nature. His family is Southern Baptist and the fact that I am not practicing any type of organized religion was an extreme hurdle for them. Love was not enough, they actually told me they prayed everyday that he would find someone else.

I think although we are more aware of diversity in our country the types of emphasis we place on it spurs angst between minoritys and the anglo saxan race if you will. I think a lot of people feel that things are handed to minorities just simple because they are minorities. I can see both sides. On one hand I had a chinese friend who when he went to school did not have to take out a loan or a scholarship. His ethnicity got him many grants...enough so that after school and room and board, books were paid the university cut HIM a check of 6-7 thousand a semester. He actually took a paycut when he graduated. I doubt very much there is a white scholarship (unless it is from a private citizen) But then on the other hand I think minorities have so many more obstacles to overcome just to get to college. The same amount of opportunity of often not extended and a lot of the time this has to do with financial hardships, geographical location etc...If someone is in need then they should be granted the help that they need to succeed. So much pain has been endured my minorities in this country it feels to me like something should be done to compensate for years worth of 'bad history'

I think America gets more diverse everyday. With our generation I can see more awareness and a 'colorblind' attitude that is spreading. It seems that more often that not when I do come across prejudice it is coming from an older more 'set in their ways' individual.

You should also take into account other factors of diversity that may have affected your interviewee’s life, i.e. age, religion, gender or sexual orientation. (feel free to add any extra comments regarding your race)
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I'm Puerto Rican (3rd generation).

I grew up lower middle class, which was an improvement considering my grandfather couldn't afford shoes when he was living in Puerto Rico. My family was pretty strict regarding what I could do, watch on tv, or read, but this was due to our religion as much as my culture. For one example, if my class was reading a book my parents felt I shouldn't, I would have to get up at the start of English and leave the classroom and go sit in a room by myself doing a separate assignment; it was the same with one year of sex ed too. But things were even stricter for my parents. For example, my mom couldn't wear pants and therefore wasn't allowed to exercise in gym class; she couldn't shave her legs or wear jewelry. There were lots of other restrictions, but I'll leave them out for the sake of brevity.

I'm the first person on my mother's side of the family to graduate from college. Unwed teenage parents are not uncommon in my family, which explains why they were so strict with me. I did have the benefit of a National Hispanic Scholarship that covered 4 years tuition, room, and board. I did do well in high school, but I joked with my smart white male friends who didn't have the same scholarship opportunities as I did.

There is a lot of ignorance on both sides (minorities and majorities), and as much as I hate to say it, there are a lot of people out there that do perpetuate the sterotypes in many ethnicities, not just my own. I've read statistics on the rates of violence, promiscuity and STDs among hispanics, and health problems associated with unhealthy hispanic food, and they strengthen the percieved stereotypes.

I'm not very much of an optimist.

You should also take into account other factors of diversity that may have affected your interviewee’s life, i.e. age, religion, gender or sexual orientation. (feel free to add any extra comments regarding your race)

I don't really even feel like a minority most of the time. I pretty much identify with the Caucasian culture. (I was shocked when I got the first letter during college addressing me as a "woman of color") I can't recall having even met a full blood Puerto Rican who wasn't related to me; I was usally around Caucasion and African American people growing up. Spanish was the first language my parents taught me when I was born, but I've forgotten most of it. They tried to force me to re-learn Spanish when I got older, but I opted to take French instead. I'm not saying anything against taking pride in one's heritage, but it's definitely something that cannot be forced upon someone.

Well, I don't know if this is helpful at all. Feel free to send a private message if you'd like some more clarification or details. Good luck with your assignment.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

You should also take into account other factors of diversity that may have affected your interviewee’s life, i.e. age, religion, gender or sexual orientation. (feel free to add any extra comments

1. I come from two loving parents who divorced when I was 3. I have remained very close to my father while residing with my mother (growing up). I grew up primarily in a small resort town, but poor. I was also an overweight child. I do think of myself having a relatively happy childhood as I never lacked in being loved. I have an older half sister (from my mother), and a 9 year old half brother (from my father and stepmother).

2. Being surrounded by wealthy people when I was anything but. having a disabled mother who needed taking care of when I was still pretty young. If you are speaking race-wise, then coming from a very white town in Colorado and going to a very black college in houston. I had never seen racial tension exist in everyday life. Definitely an eye opening experience. Someone's race was never an issue to me, perhaps because I came from a place that lacked in diversity and went to a place where there was so much- and I swear you could feel it.

3. I don't think we are in a great place right now, but we're getting there. The racial lines are still there. I think as long as people associate race with class, it will be a persistent problem. But, as stephanie said, it's blurring a bit. I think with every person who doesn't place a race restriction on association, it gets better. With every child I see where I can't put a "race" on them, it gets better. We sort of waver on this line of making race a non-issue and putting such a value on it. We don't want race to be an issue, yet racial profiling exists. Affirmative Action exists. We obviously still highly value it.

4. Some factors of diversity? Well, my mother's family are east Texas Baptists. They are ignorant, poor, and racist. it's strange. They are just racist. They see anything wrong with it. They don't think about it, they just are. My mother made a conscious decision to drag her family as far as she could get from that upbringing. She was successful. It's kind of funny to think that they view US as the outcasts! My father is a New york Jew. He came from an upper-middle class upbringing. He is married to an Ecuadorian and they have one son. He's one hairy kid. My ethnic background goes like this: German-Jew/English father and Irish/Native American/German mother. My religious background is different. My father's family converted to the Episcopal Church because of anti-semetism after the War. My mother has never placed herself in a category. One day she's Buddhist, the next day she's wishing you a Happy Easter. I lean towards the Episcopal Church.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 120

Thanks everyone for your help in my project, I really appreciate the help. The information was very insightful and I am sure my Teacher's Assistant will like it too!
snoody is offline   Reply With Quote