View Poll Results: what should I do?
forget school, get a job and get on with life 0 0%
finish the papers and petition again (for them to be accepted or for late withdrawal from 2 courses 21 45.65%
forget the papers, go back to school in September, take 2 courses, graduate 25 54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #16  

Go back!! either way, once you get into the job force your GPA likely won't matter much but the piece of paper always will.
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #17  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Just wanted you to know that someone else was in the same situation. I struggled with bi-polar and had trouble with law school. School took me five years instead of three. When I wasn't in school, I felt like I had failed. I am so glad that I went back, I am so glad that I didn't give up. Yeah, it's hard going to school when a mental illness is flaring up, but put one foot in front of the other and do it!

Also, in my experience, educational institutions are very willing to help you graduate. Especially when "experts" like therapists are vouching for you.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #18  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Default My 2 Cents

Hey there!

First I want to say that I feel for you with the depression and with having to put school on hold. I think you should go back and do the 2 courses in september, this way you can focus on them with out any real pressure. You have a history of depression and having only 2 courses to focus on may allow you more flexibility incase you have a few down days. You wont haave the added pressure of other courses. Also, you will be able to start fresh with a whole different frame of mind having gotten the depression under control.

I was diagnosed with leukemia and had to put teacher's college on hold. I go back in 2007. its not the end of the world. your health comes first. Once that is stable everything else will just fall into place. I wish you all the best and enjoy you last 2 classes!!!
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #19  

I'd write the papers and petition to have the grade changed. If they say no, retake the courses in the fall. It will suck to have to pay for the classes a second time, but the university will usually replace the failed grade with the new ones. My husband took an incomplete on a course (his mother was ill), which becomes an "administrative F" if you don't finish within a semester (he didn't). The professor let him attend the course again and replaced his grade at the end of the class. I'm sure you can work out something.
English_teacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #20  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by English_teacha
I'd write the papers and petition to have the grade changed. If they say no, retake the courses in the fall. It will suck to have to pay for the classes a second time, but the university will usually replace the failed grade with the new ones. My husband took an incomplete on a course (his mother was ill), which becomes an "administrative F" if you don't finish within a semester (he didn't). The professor let him attend the course again and replaced his grade at the end of the class. I'm sure you can work out something.
That's what I'll do, I think.
Hopefully the papers will be accepted - my university does not replace Fs with the new grade if you retake the course.

Thank you very much everyone for your time, input and suggestions!

Sushi
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:11 AM   #21  
Learning to love myself

I said to go back in September. I've been in a similar situation, and the break did me the world of good - but having plans to go back definately, helped me stay focussed
emjayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #22  
Jessie's Mom

I am a college dropout. I went to school for about 1 1/2 years, then I got really sick. I had to move out of the dorms, too much mold! Anyways, I ended up getting a great job and chose not go back. I do not regret my decision at all. I met my husband at my job and had several GREAT advancements at work. I was in banking and could have easily made it my career. I am currently at home with my daughter, but will always be able to go back to where I was.

Also, my husband has a GED. But, he is a very succesful business owner in construction. We are both doing very well without college diplomas.

I think you will decide what is best for you and not have any regrets. It sounds like you do really want to go back, so do it. Maybe start in September. Start fresh! But if you do decide to not go back, it is not the most horrible thing.

Good luck to you and your decision!
Treadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote