Old 05-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #1  

Default New here

I'm Amy (22), mom to Bailey (2), wife to Sean (28). I'm currently 226 and I want to lose weight SO badly. I'm going to the gym (trying for 6 days a week but last week was 4) and trying to eat healthier. I was once 145 and I looked and felt great! That's my goal. I gained a lot of weight before and during my pregnancy. I lost 40lbs last year but let that get to my head and gained it back. It's really hard for me not to eat all that good stuff and I'm SUCH the emotional eater. My dad has been encouraging me. I just get confused on what exercise and how much I should be doing. How many calories I should intake etc. I really need support, my husband supports me but he's thin, always has been so he doesn't understand. plus he was in the army so he's so physically active he can't understand I can't always do the things (like running) he thinks everyone should be able to do. I just want to not be so tired anymore and not be embarassed to meet new people. I've always had weight problems but over the past 2 yrs it's gotten out of control.

WHEW...that was a mouthful. I look forward to meeting you all!
Ames1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Amy, welcome! I love the graphic in your sig! You've come to the right place for support. A lot of us have problems with emotional eating too.

If you are starting diet and exercise, you might want to see your doctor. Your doctor can tell you how to lose healthily and might refer you to a nutritionist, and s/he can also give you a physical and see if there are any exercises you should avoid. If you can't do that, I'd recommend the book "Fitness for Dummies," which you can probably get at your local library to learn more about exercise. As for calories, if you want to count calories the general recommendation is to eat 500 fewer calories per day than your body uses to lose 1 lb/week. You can google for resting metabolic rate calculators to get a general idea of how much that is. Also, never go under 1200 calories per day!

Anyway, I hope that gives you something to start with. Good luck!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #3  

HI,

Welcome to the boards! Glad to see you here. How much you eat really depends on how much you exercise and how many calories you need. I agree with what paperclippy says. Also, make sure you drink your water and healthier foods. There's a study that says you will lose more weight if you get 2-3 servings of dairy a day. You need to exercise AT LEAST 30 minutes a day....preferably closer to an hour to burn fat stores. I have two children (4 and 5) so I know that's hard with a 2 year old. Maybe go for walks with your child to burn some calories.

What kinds of exercise are you doing? I'm doing an hour a day 6 times a week and I'm eating around 1600 calories a day. I'm REALLY trying to get into toning but I just can't seem to make myself do it...that's my next goal. Water was my current goal and I've been getting 8 or more glasses a day for 2 weeks now so it's time to move on to a new goal. Small baby steps at a time so you don't shock your system is a good idea. I haven't lost a ton of weight but it's getting close to 8 pounds (in about 8 weeks). I'm a super slow loser though because I'm on insulin.

good luck!
Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Welcome! Whatever diet and excercise plan you end up choosing it is important that you feel that it is something that you can live with. That way once you reach your goal you have a better chance of not gaining the weight back. Also remember everyobody is different, so choose something that will work for YOU.

I would recommend that you take some measurements now in addition to weighing yourself. That way down the road you have two ways of tracking your progress. Often inches and pounds come off at different times/rates so this is doubly motivating.

Like AmberM said it is small changes, that way in the future you have healthier habits and it is easier to stay healthy. Some people recommend journaling, especially at the start of weight loss. It is a good way to get a handle on how many calories you are eating and makes you honest with yourself about what you eat. A lot of people here use FitDay.com to keep track of the information and find it user friendly.

Good luck!

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #5  

Thanks for all the advice. Currently I use Fitday and I'm officially starting a diet today. Well eating healthier. I'm weak when it comes to a lot of foods but I'm tired of being this weight and size. I shouldn't look like this at 22. I took some BEFORE pictures, I need to take measurements too.

I've been exercising 30mins (last week was my first week at the gym) and yesterday I bumped up the intensity and did about 28mins. My goal is to do 40mins this week. Mostly I use the treadmill and the exercise bike.

Looks like there's TONS of support here and I know that is key in weightloss.
Ames1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

Height: 5'4

Welcome!!! Sounds like you are off to a good start!
flxthct107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:40 PM   #7  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Welcome Amy!!!! I use fitday also! I just recently got my mom using it to

Don't overdo it, by pushing yourself too much, since you just started, you don't want to overextend yourself and get frustrated. Sounds like you know what you are doing though...much luck to you in accomplishing a healthier life!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #8  

Welcome to the group!
channonenvy is offline   Reply With Quote