Old 12-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #1  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Default Broke girl problems

So I joined weight watchers... $42 a month... I bought a crappy used treadmill, $50.. Now I want to do a water cardio class at my Y. It's $125 for 7 weeks, 3 times a week. $17 a week.

I should just sign up for the class right? Less time I have, is less time I have to eat junk or sit on the couch or buy dumb stuff on the internet.

How do y'all rationalize health related spending.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 360 lbs/ 360 lbs/ 130 lbs.

Height: 5'1"

Honestly, I just started my weightloss journey but when I figured up the numbers the amount of money I spend on junk food, soda, eating out, anplus sized clothing will more then pay for anything I may need fo my weight loss journey.
samanthahwrd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #3  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I calorie count using a free app, but I justify my $40 a month at the gym because it's a huge stress reliever/sanity saver for me! When I get to the gym and work out in the morning, I'm less likely to go off plan because I don't want to blow the calories burned during my workout!
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

If you have the $17 a week, I think it's a good investment.
I miss my gym membership...
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #5  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

I've always had an issue trying to justify the money I spend on my health. Over the last 2 and a half years I've spent hundreds on gym memberships, infomercial weight loss plans, frozen meals, plus-sized clothing (which is so damned expensive), and countless dollars on "healthy" foods that I detested the taste of all in the name of desperation. I too have recently signed up for Weight Watchers...in fact just 2 days ago. I do still spend my grocery money (which is budgeted) on healthy foods and I go to the grocery store once, sometimes twice, a week and eat all the food I have planned for that week only. I had discovered that a lot of my money that I had spent on food was actually being wasted because I would spend over a hundred dollars on food for several weeks worth, often times a month's worth, of food. I would throw away things all the time. It was insanity. It's weird seeing my fridge dwindle down at the end of the week to nothing but the basics but it has saved my budget planning! I spend $50-60 a week, which sounds like a lot but I don't eat out. I also switch to paleo/clean eating. It's difficult at times because there are times where I'm like EFF this I want Wendy's, but then I just pull out my little snack bag of almonds that I keep in my purse at all times and I have control again.

I also decided to justify my spending on exercise infomercial plans (which previously sat in my closet) and I'll pull out my exercise bands and follow some of the simple instructions for good exercises while I watch my shows. I have them, I spent the money, I might as well use them. Do the same with your treadmill.

If additional spending opportunities pop up ask yourself what the benefit of it really will be. Will it realistically be worth it? Don't fall in to the trap that so many of us have and get suckered into ridiculously expensive "add-ons". Keep in mind hundreds, if not thousands, of people lose weight without spending a lot of money. It's all about diet and exercise (unfortunately). Just gotta make good choices; one after another.

Good luck!
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/117 HW - 174

Height: 5 1

Does the class at the Y include access to the whole Y facilities? I am in Canada and our Y has all classes including the water included in the membership which is approximately $49 monthly. If it's just the class that seems a little expensive, are there any other pools in your community that may be less $?
Josiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'4"

yeah, i'm gonna go with Josie here, 125$ seems a bit expensive for just 7 weeks. you don't need a gym to work out. (although going to the pool is fun )

but then again, if you are serious about your weight-loss, this money spent on the gym is money you're not gonna be spending buying junk food, so maybe it adds up.

i say if you can afford it, do it, but if not, there are other ways to slim down and maybe you can try the class again another time when you're not so strapped for cash...
KawaiiCandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Pay now or really pay later

Spending money on items that will help you get and stay healthy is money well spent. I'm in my 60s. I'm thrilled that I have the option of getting retiree health insurance from my old employer. I'm not thrilled with the $775/month premium, the $25 co-pay, the no drug coverage, or the $2500 deductible each year. I mention that because I haven't taken care of myself, and now I've finally decided to do something. But, I need the best health insurance I can get because I now have high blood pressure, arthritis, am prone to Type II diabetes, and need to be able to get all of the tests to make sure nothing else is going wrong. Not trying to depress anyone here, but just saying that I wish I'd taken better care of myself a lot earlier in life.

So, go ahead and spend that money on things that will help with the weight loss and to keep moving. In the long run, it will save you a pile of money.

While I'm tracking my goals through weight loss, my real goals are to be able to take the lower option health insurance because I'll be off my medications and will be moving easily.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #9  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

You guys are awesome.
ShellydeFlores You're right, it all does add up and I do need to get my butt on that treadmill more. Grrrr, its not the water tho!

Josiee that price is just for the class. If I was a full member it would be $49 a month, plus $50 for the class. I will look into other pools. It seems like the rest of them are all outdoor. Perhaps the university has a better deal. I was more looking forward to being ain a class with a bunch of hip older women, and not so much tiny 22 year olds.

Betsy I know!!! That's what my mom said. And hey, I refuse to buy new clothes for a while, so there is some money in the bank!

I am still not sure. Perhaps I will do the second winter term that starts at the end of Feb. after I have had more time to think and save. Thanks for all the input, guys.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote