Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Talking Goal activity!

I was laying in bed this morning and thinking about how much my body is improving from just a few weeks' of exercise. I'm quite sure I could do something new that I haven't done before. I thought perhaps it would be fun to make a pact on here that by June of next year, we all will have tried and succeeded at a new exercise or activity.

There's a climbing wall at my university's gym that's calling to me, and the fiance has been itching to climb it but I've always made excuses because I don't want to be embarrassed and fail miserably. So that could be an option: get to the top of the wall by next year.

Another thing I thought of was that I went snowboarding for the first time last winter, and failed horribly. I ended up sitting and crying in the middle of the bunny hill. I want to give snowboarding another whack now that my core and legs are stronger. So I could also try to successfully snowboard down some kind of hill, even a small one.

I'd love to hear some other people's goals, or even if they have done something like that in the past.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/150/130

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

I would really like to go hiking.. I am trying to talk my husband into going. He just doesn't wanna hear the children screaming at us the whole way. Maybe I could get my parents to baby sit while we go. I also have to find somewhere to go lol!!! I am not sure if we even have anywhere to go where I live.

Those sound like great goals though.

Is it weird that I really would love to go mountain climbing? I know that just sounds crazy but it sounds like so much fun.. again, no mountains around here.. that I know of.. but maybe we could go one day.. I think we do have a climbing wall around us too
Ash2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Man I always forget how flat the middle of USA is. Upstate NY is all mountains all the time, and I even live on one and I'm in a sizable city.

Climbing wall and snowboarding are very worthwhile goals to work toward! I want to go back to the local indoor rock climbing gym - in the past I was too out of shape to enjoy it and could barely fit through the "cave" corridors.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: hw175/145/140

Height: 5'6"

There are a lot of state parks where I am. I really enjoy hiking and was able to do a few different trails this weekend while camping, and my butt/thighs remember the hills!
Domlacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #5  
Working on Change

S/C/G: 235/235/150

Height: 5' 7"

I would like to play an entire half of soccer again without getting winded.
kitkat1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Why wait until next year to climb the wall? Go now! Worst case - you can't make it to the top. It gives you something to shoot for. Then you can just hang out while your fiance climbs. Then you take another turn. Then you go back next week. And the week after.

I went to the rock gym recently by myself. Yikes. I walk in, and there are like 10 25 year old young men there, climbing away. And me, 40, slightly overweight. Newbie. I told myself if I was still uncomfortable in 10 minutes i could leave. Well, in 10 minutes I realized that they couldn't care less what I was doing. I climbed, fell, studied the wall, climbed, got a little further up, rested, climbed, fell, rested repeat.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/139/120

Height: 5'4"

I've always wanted to learn to swing dance, but never could find someone to do it with me. Eventually I'd like to take a swing dance class. I'm not sure when I'll be able to do that though, because my husband's work schedule is a little erratic, and some nights he isn't home. We have a 2 year old at home, so having to pay a babysitter really raises the cost. Once she's a bit older though, I'd really like to do that.

I'd also like to get back into rollerskating, and possibly join a roller derby team. Again, the main thing holding me back is that I know that's a huge dedication, and would take time away form my daughter. I'm hoping in the next few months, I can start rollerskating around the neighborhood though. Just waiting for my kiddo to get a bit speedier with her balance bike so that we can do it together.
JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #8  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I feel like I've always held myself back from doing things because I was so uncomfortable and embarrassed about my weight. This summer I hope to paddle board for the first time, go to an indoor rock wall and on my anniversary weekend in September, my husband and I will be running our first 5k (the Color Me Rad race).
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Jessica B, just go to the nearest dance studio and sign up, no need for a partner! My fiance and I ballroom dance at an Arthur Murray and there are lots of group classes and many times there are not even numbers of men and women, partners are not needed. Also if you take a few private lessons you dance with your instructor anyways! It is so fun, swing is my favorite, and you may feel silly the first few times but then it is a blast!
lilkel244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Why wait until next year to climb the wall? Go now! Worst case - you can't make it to the top. It gives you something to shoot for. Then you can just hang out while your fiance climbs. Then you take another turn. Then you go back next week. And the week after.

I went to the rock gym recently by myself. Yikes. I walk in, and there are like 10 25 year old young men there, climbing away. And me, 40, slightly overweight. Newbie. I told myself if I was still uncomfortable in 10 minutes i could leave. Well, in 10 minutes I realized that they couldn't care less what I was doing. I climbed, fell, studied the wall, climbed, got a little further up, rested, climbed, fell, rested repeat.
I'm not planning to try next year, I'm planning to have climbed to the top by next year!
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katbot24 View Post
I'm not planning to try next year, I'm planning to have climbed to the top by next year!
I bet you'll be up by the end of summer!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

I adore rock climbing and hiking. Really any outdoor activity....kayaking, snorkling, swimming.

I bet you'll make it to the top before next year!

My goal is to climb a major mountain in the next year. Possibly Mt. Whitney.
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #13  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I joined a couple local "Meetup" groups but found that their activity level is so much higher than my own that I have to get "in shape" before I could reasonably keep up with them on one of their outings. So that's my goal- to get "in shape" enough to go hiking with these folks.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #14  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

I'd like to climb either Mt. Fuji or Mt. Tate. I've already climbed Mt. Haku but I think I can do better!
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Wow awesome goals!! I'd love to try out a rock wall my upper body sucks, definitely some motivation to work on those arms. Also I'd love to hike more, just recently gotten into it but I'd love to do an all day trail or even a two day one, I say by next summer I'd like to do a 20 mile trail in two days.
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote