Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #1  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

Default Okay, I Need Help STAT Or I Am Going To Lose My Mind

I am this close to quitting, I am done. I don't understand why my scale keeps climbing up slowly, or why it shows me a low number and then jumps up 7-10LBS FOR NO REASON! Before I go into a complete rant, here is the story.

My boyfriend and I have been doing this for nearly 6 months. At the beginning of this month we took 2 days where we could eat things we avoided usually. We had some chips, cookies and a small grocery store pizza. We took the leftovers to my mothers and that was that. Of course the scale rose up from all the salt, which wasn't a problem at the time. After a week of clean eating and exercise that number STILL showed up. We had our V-day dinner last Saturday, homemade seafood pasta. After that the scale dropped to 128, I was SO EXCITED! FINALLY! I weighed myself 3 times to make sure it wasn't a malfunction, same number each time. The next day the scale dropped again 127.8 , GREAT! My boyfriend also went down those 2 days. We went running on that day, ate well and then the next day BOOM 135?! WHAT? I chalked my gain up to TOM, but even for me that would be a massive amount of bloating, but fine it will go down through the week right? Wrong. TOM is basically over now and guess what number I'm still at 134.8? This week I ate well, kept track of my calories burned using my BodyMedia Fit (Same thing as the body bug). Consistently had a deficit of 750-1000 and I even started Shaun T's Insanity to switch up my work outs. I now work out at least 1hr a day 6 days a week. Usually I work out for 1.5hrs, I do my Insanity video and then climb on my treadmill for 20-30mins or until my BodyMedia shows I burnt 500 calories during my work out.

My boyfriend is trying to say that the gain hanging around is from the new workout because I am SORE, I mean walking or moving HURTS like a son of a bee! Somehow I just don't think it could be 7lbs of water weight from my muscles being sore. I just don't get it 3FC and its getting me down, I want to say "screw it". Nothing works anyway! I guess the scale could have malfunctioned, but 2 days in a row on 2 different people? Even if it did that would mean I somehow managed to gain 4lbs in the 2 days I ate off plan at the beginning on the month.... I was sitting at 130 before then. I mean I excepted a small permanent gain like 1-2lbs but 4?! There is NO WAY I ate 14,000 calories in 2 days.... Just so everyone knows my bodymedia fit is set for me to eat 1700 calories a day and burn 2450 calories a day, I usually get to 1500 maybe 1600 a day and burn 2500 or more according to my device.

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY BODY?
I am so frustrated, upset and actually extremely confused... Help?
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #2  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I know nothing about bodybugs or whatever - but I just wanna say: take a chill pill!

You have come a long way, and you know as well as anyone that you haven't actually gained that weight. So the only explanation is that your body for whatever reason is holding onto water. YES, even 7lbs of water is possible.

As for not losing any extra even though you have been on plan - maybe your body is getting used to the big daily deficit and starting to operate more efficient. Try a lower deficit for a few days, or even no deficit for a few days and see what happens.

Goodluck, and please.. just breathe. LOL. Your post made me feel all antsy. hihi.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Nothing is wrong... Just give it a couple of weeks before you go crazy... LOL You are close to your target weight, and the last pounds are as difficult as the first. Just keep on plan and think about something else, so you won't get desperate. You have lost a lot of weight, so you should be pround! Congratulations on that! Be patient now.
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #4  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I take it that running is new for you because you stated you were sore and not used to the new excerise. That in itself can cause you to hold onto a massive amount of water. When I first started running my scale jumped 5 pounds, even though I was staying within my calories. And i've gone up just as much on TOM as well. After a few weeks I saw it drop, and a bit extra. I agree with your boyfriend 100% on this.

Honestly, I think you should avoid the scale for a week or two until things level out because this gain is not sitting well with you. Just relax and the weight will go back down. You've done amazing so far and your in the last little stretch so I can see why your a bit frustrated. But just BREATHE

Last edited by baker23; 02-18-2012 at 02:25 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #5  
Pain Is Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker23 View Post
I take it that running is new for you because you stated you were sore and not used to the new excerise. That in itself can cause you to hold onto a massive amount of water. When I first started running my scale jumped 5 pounds, even though I was staying within my calories. And i've gone up just as much on TOM as well. After a few weeks I saw it drop, and a bit extra. I agree with your boyfriend 100% on this.

Honestly, I think you should avoid the scale for a week or two until things level out because this gain is not sitting well with you. Just relax and the weight will go back down. You've done amazing so far and your in the last little stretch so I can see why your a bit frustrated. But just BREATHE
Running is not new for me, I have been doing it for over 6 months. It's Shaun T's insanity workout that's making my want to die hahaha

Thanks everyone for the motivational words! I will try to calm down and maybe avoid the scale for a little while.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It's the workout! When I started HIIT I gained TEN lbs. It all came off in a couple weeks when my muscles got used to me abusing them .

Be patient!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/145.5/135

Height: 5ft 3

Isis21, did you know your body retains water weight to help repair your muscles from strenuous exercise? I think this is the cause of your 7lb water weight gain. Perhaps your body measurements are more or less the same?

Nevertheless I don't think you should be dishearted. I'd kill to be 130lb right now! Haha. You're at a healthy weight so take your time with the weight loss. I don't think this is a cause to give up whatsoever. I think it's important to be prepared for the downs as well as the ups in your journey as you reach your goal weight level! Take care!
Em123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think you're doing great and it would be such a shame to throw in the towel. I highly recommend a break from the scale. Just do your thing and stay on plan and weigh yourself in a few weeks. I've been the biggest scale addict, weighing as much as twice a day every day, but now, I'm doing it less frequently and it helps me stay motivated.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Insanity burns an insane amount of calories, if you'll pardon the pun. Are you sure you're eating enough to compensate for the increased activity?
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #10  
Pain Is Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
Insanity burns an insane amount of calories, if you'll pardon the pun. Are you sure you're eating enough to compensate for the increased activity?
Actually I am finding Insanity is only burning 250-300 calories (working at my hardest, of course) for a video when I put my BodyMedia into workout mode where it monitors my calorie burn in real time. Unless of course its somehow miss calculating my calories burned during the videos, but I think its somewhat on target. I hope it is anyway :S
Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #11  

ValRock is right, its the Insanity. I did it in the summer same thing happened, not only to me but to my sister as well. I can't remember exactly how much I gained but it was at least 5lbs. I google and it turns out that you gain before you lose with intense work out programs.
Noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Check out the TeamBeachbody website. This is very common with their workouts, with people initially gaining weight and it IS due to the intensity of the workouts causing your muscles to retain water as they repair themselves. It's so common an occurrence that Chalene Johnson (the ChaLEAN Extreme coach) wrote an article about it. Here's a link - she explains it very well! https://www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709
Also- I am also doing Insanity and you have my utmost respect for being able to do your video and then hop on the treadmill. You're a beast!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #13  
Pain Is Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Check out the TeamBeachbody website. This is very common with their workouts, with people initially gaining weight and it IS due to the intensity of the workouts causing your muscles to retain water as they repair themselves. It's so common an occurrence that Chalene Johnson (the ChaLEAN Extreme coach) wrote an article about it. Here's a link - she explains it very well! https://www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709
Also- I am also doing Insanity and you have my utmost respect for being able to do your video and then hop on the treadmill. You're a beast!
Thank you for the link, it really helped me understand what the heck is going on! Weight is still up but I am trying my best to just take it in stride and wait it out. Getting on the treadmill after is always a push ha. After my video's I usually want to die on the floor but I find if I run for 20mins after the video is over my muscles hurt less then if I choose to skip the treadmill.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #14  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis21 View Post
Getting on the treadmill after is always a push ha. After my video's I usually want to die on the floor but I find if I run for 20mins after the video is over my muscles hurt less then if I choose to skip the treadmill.
Hm. I might just try that treadmill thing myself then, if it cuts down on the DOMS. Insanity is a tough workout, for sure!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Thank you very much. Yesterday, my trainer taught new exercises. Today, my muscle is pulled and whole body is sore...taking painkillers. Did not go to gym today. May be my i will weigh more tomorrow.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote