Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/155/130

Height: 5'4

Question More Emotional Now That I'm Eating Better???

This might sound totally crazy, but I feel like i'm way more emotional now that i've been eating healthy/clean. It is mostly just a general sadness. I'm really fine during the week, but on the weekends (kind of like right now) I just start feeling down and doubtful.

I have a history of being an emotional eater. I always ate at any emotional extreme. If I was really happy, really sad or I simply just wanted comfort food, I would just put on the TV and shovel down Ben & Jerrys half baked ice cream and a family size bag of potato chips.

Now that I don't turn to food, I feel like feelings that I maybe suppressed or "fixed" (for lack of a better term) with food are more prominent.

Does anyone else feel this way? I've been eating healthy for 5 weeks now, so at this point I'm really not tempted to eat poorly. I just don't know why i'm generally down a lot and if this is something that anyone else has experienced. :-/
lifehouseluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #2  

I posted about this before too - I understand. Because food was the answer to emotional problems and now you don't have it, you have to face it either head-on or find another way to cope with emotions. So things that seemed OK before because you were able to resort to eating (maybe even subconsciously) might feel worse now because you don't use food as a crutch. I didn't even realize how much junk food aided me until I stopped eatng it all the time. Plus I'm sure that sugar has an effect - sugar rush and all that, i'm no doctor, but such a big diet adjustment might have an effect on your emotions as well.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I identify with you too. I totally stuffed all my feelings down with food. It's how I managed them because I experienced a lot of them to extremes. When I ate really sugary, carby processed food, it made me sleepy and thick headed. I also have a soy sensitivity, so this added to that problem. Once I got away from that sort of eating, I was so clear headed and suddenly EVERYTHING was intensely big. Kind of a rush at times, but not all the time! Please!

It has taken me some time to figure out what to do with the extra mental energy. I'm still working on it, but I'm not so disturbed by it any longer. I spend an awful lot of time writing about it (how I manage my emotions now, by over thinking about everything!). I exercise a lot more. I can't seem to be able to check out with food and TV any more. My house is cleaner. My sons hide from me more. It's a mixed blessing.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I never thought about that before. I'm a pretty emotional person to begin with but yeah, I guess I'm even more emotional now that I'm not running for food every time I'm upset or anxious. =/
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

I've also noticed being increasingly emotional. Changing your life in any way is huge, especially overhauling your complete lifestyle and changing in appearance as you lose weight.

My emotions seem to be more on a rollercoaster now but I'm trying to learn to deal with it. My brain definitely hasn't caught up to my weight loss and I still have problems picturing myself, finding the right size of clothes, expecting to not fit in small spaces, etc. In a way I feel like I lost part of my identity, that of a fat person, so I'm having to rediscover myself. I have to learn about the new me and who I want to be!

I feel proud and accomplished about my weight loss but also sometimes tired and disappointed that I'm not done yet. I push myself hard so I'm a bit down when I don't see the results I expect of such hard work and diligence. I'm proud to fit in a smaller size than I used to wear but want to be smaller still.

The emotions about weight loss and so many changes to my mind, body, lifestyle, etc are all very mixed and change all the time but I know one thing for sure -- I'm so happy I kicked myself in the butt and pushed myself to make all these changes. I was miserable being obese so even though sometimes I still feel sad for whatever reason, I also feel proud of myself and much happier in general and more energetic!

It's definitely one h*ll of a ride though... lol
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/155/130

Height: 5'4

Thanks guys!!! Good to know i'm not going insane. lol

I am definitely guilty of overthinking everything. When I think about it, it's just me and my head now as opposed to me, my head, and junk food.

I feel bad too because my boyfriend has been so supportive, and yet I feel like i've freaked out on him so much over the course of this thing. He's such a trooper lol

It really is quite the journey!!! Thank you guys for listening and responding. I greatly appreciate it
lifehouseluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/194/140

Height: 5'4"

I have suffered from depression and bipolar disorder for many years, but my moods are pretty even these days. I attribute it 100% to cutting out grains and dairy and eating lots and lots of fat, especially fats from animals.
Raven132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/145.5/135

Height: 5ft 3

I've just begun to realise I'm an emotional eater too.

I usually eat when I'm stressed. In fact, it's how I gained my weight back last year. I ate when I was researching for assignments, I ate when I was stressed. I paid the price of leaving work to last minute, by staying up, eating and studying all night.

Through my weight loss journey of 2012, I'm really trying to resolve two things, my personal study/stress management habits as well as healthy weight loss. (I feel they are the two sides of the same coin).

I was actually tempted to eat before I read this thread... but then I realised, no I'm letting my emotions control my food again, not my hunger.

I know I just have to pull through it, and 3FC has really helped to keep me on track. Perhaps that's the important thing, to keep pulling yourself back on track even if your own mind doubts you!

Let's stay on track to our goals! Until one day we can look back and be glad that we got over this mountain... haha as cheesy as that sounds! ^^
Em123 is offline   Reply With Quote