Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #1  
You mad bro?

S/C/G: 228/164.6/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Just ran into a girl I went to high school with...

I apologize in advance for the rant.

I graduated 6 years ago. I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about high school or the people I went to school with. It actually kind of bothers me when people bring up high school, because I would rather not live in the past and just concentrate on the present. I tend not to dwell on things, and it annoys me when other people do. It makes me feel like I can't escape my past. Anyways, I ran into one of my fellow classmates who goes to the same college as me, and we got to chatting about how all the "popular" and "preppy" girls were popping out babies. Which indeed, they are. But she just kept going on and on about how we were different than all the "preps" and "jocks" and label this and label that.

Guess what Tara. I don't give a ****. I don't live in the past like you do! Move on already.

</rant>
Laneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #2  
Keep on Keep'in on

S/C/G: 174/ticker/135

WOO HOO!! I'm glad you feel the same way as I do! I could care less if the most "popular" girl in the whole world from the class of 08 was having as many children as years i've been out of school. It's time to move on and deal with the present and the future!! This rant has made my day!
Andrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I cared very little about high school while I was in high school, so much so that I graduated a year and a half early.

Needless to say, I care even less about it now. Just remember, this is why she is not a friend that you have kept in contact with.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #4  
Looking for the 200's

S/C/G: 325/311.4/174

Height: 6'0

I have you agree with you about not living in the past, HS was okay for me 7 years ago, but so much has happend in life since then, who cares.

I have to admit thought I sometime get a grinch like smile on my face with I see some from HS that was a huge jerk and they are fat now. I know its petty and mean, but I can help it.
milliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #5  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I hated HS and the people in it and vice versa I have to say I was a complete b!tch haha. But I agree living in the past is stupid, but maybe she just wanted to take a trip down memory lane who knows some people are like that. Of course making judgements about peoples lives now is kind of dumb were all adults and obviously were all or I at least hope would be different than when we were in our teens. Some people though are stuck in the past and need to belittle other people's life to make themselves feel better about their meaningless life.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

It is pathetic when people obsess over it, but if it's the only thing you have in common it might be all she could think to talk about?

Outgrowing high school clique labeling is one of the great milestones of really growing and maturing, IMO. Who you are in middle/high school certainly plays a big role in defining who you are as a person, but it's not a caste system with zero mobility.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I don't think there is much of a point to dwelling on it-I was ready for college before I ever got into high school; but I don't think that there is anything wrong with some harmless reminiscing. I generally hope everyone I went with, friends or not, are doing alright; but generally I don't think about it. However, I don't feel the need to escape my past. What happened then made me who I am today in a way. Maybe your friend was simply trying to connect with you, because it's a common experience you both shared.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #8  
Crabalocker Fishwife

S/C/G: 323/ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I dunno, I don't think bringing up high school is necessarily living in the past. Even though I didn't like HS either, I sometimes like gossiping about what ended up happening to my classmates/peers, haha. I don't take anything seriously or have any real emotions for it...maybe the girl you ran into was kinda like that? :3 Sometimes people don't know when a subject gets old, though! XD
taliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 181/170/130

Height: 5'3 1/2"

My highschool experience wasn't that great at all. Needless to say when I see someone who I went to school with I try to make an EXIT before they see me lol
JustJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #10  
Working at it

S/C/G: 180/tracker/115

Woah. I have a hard time remembering the names of the people I was closest to in high school (I graduated 2001, so it's not been 30 years either) much less have enough energy to care about the people who were "popular" or "preps" and what they're doing now. As I moved back to my hometown, however, I'm sure I'll find out whether I want to or not when the 10 year reunion brings back the flocks....
ktgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #11  
Now Loading Healthy ME

S/C/G: 265/262/187

Height: 5'7"

Man...I feel the same way. I loved high school, I was a well-known over-achiever and did everything from sports to politics to homecoming court, but when it was over, it was over. Like, I was ready to move on to college my second semester of junior year (lol). I am glad to be living in the here and now, and highschool was 6 years ago.
Fit4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 363/see ticker/150

I work in community health, in the same town I graduated HS. I see many many people I knew in HS. I just treat them like every other patient. If they say anything, I just smile. I figure that going to the Doctor is bad enough!
Mrsralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #13  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I dunno, I graduated 10 years ago and still talk about high school sometimes. Like to hear what my old friends are up to, what everyone is doing these days, reminisce about those times. But I LOVED most of high school. I wasn't popular or whatever, but had a great time and I don't mind reliving great times in my life. I don't think talking and reminiscing and updating is necessarily the same as living in the past. And maybe since you were friends in high school (and I'm assuming don't see much of each other these days?) she figured she would talk about what you have in common, which would be high school. Otherwise once all the niceties and small talk are done... awkard silence.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #14  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

My high school experience was actually pretty fantastic up to my Sr year. I wasn't small by any means back in high-school as I have always struggled with my weight. I wasn't teased, but maybe once or twice by some of the rude girls or jug head guys, and I had a great group of friends with whom I did EVERYTHING with. Then we had a falling out toward the second semester and it was like I had no one anymore. I was pushed out with no one to turn to--my group was big enough that things really changed, news spread fast. Anyway, that ruined my Sr year and the depression helped the process of gaining weight. Its funny now because a lot of these old friends have found me on Facebook and have tried to befriend me and start up "How are you?!! I haven't seen you in 4EVER" chats. I'm like...yea-denied. There are a few people I keep in touch with but don't see. I can't bare to let anyone from high-school see me at my weight. Over 100 pounds heavier! Even some of my "old" closest friends. I dread running in to any of them. Luckily I live in a large city so it's not often.

I think some people get depressed when they think back on some of the girls they knew and how many kids they may have or the fact that some of them are married now (I'm class of '06) and they don't see it happen to them. Personally one of my biggest things was avoiding hearing about it. It really is kind of depressing to hear about one of my closest friends getting married and being pregnant by 22 and your old friend sounds like me--just hasn't been able to let go of it yet. It can be shocking to some, especially since it doesn't always seem like that long ago that you were passing notes to these same people when the teacher wasn't looking.

Someone else mentioned their 10 year reunion and it made me think about whether I even want to attend my reunion. I'd have to revisit some of the painful memories of being secluded my Sr. year with these old "best" friends of mine--who all still hang out together, have been in each others weddings, have been pregnant together--but at the same time it makes me want to show up looking fabulous with a gorgeous man at my side. Who knows if that will happen and its sad that I want to make that point to people that really shouldn't matter to me but sometimes people can't let things go- me especially. High school is a vastly important time to a lot of people and this person probably had a very different experience in high school than you did.

Anyway--long post, I'm sorry but within your rant came out several of my own thoughts that I had to let steam out!
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote