Old 01-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/211

Height: 5'8"

Default After Holidays Detox

Does anyone else feel inclined to do some sort of detox or cleanse after the holidays to kind of purge your body of all the sugar, alcohol, and chemicals and get back on track? Has anyone tried it? Which one do you recommend. I was thinking of trying the Jillian Michaels detox because I like the fact that it replenishes your probiotics in the second week. Any advice?
jcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Detox is usually just another word for starvation. And protein typically doesn't need to be "replenished" - your body takes what it needs and converts the rest to fat, just like it would any additional calorie. There's no need to specially replenish it, just eat lean meats.

My version of a detox is usually just going back to eating the way I should be - lots of lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lots and lots of water. I also tend to up my exercise a bit to get rid of some of that excess water. Your body will take care of itself as long as you give it what it needs - you don't need to use special products to "detox."
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I've done several "cleanses" in the past and I agree with Stellarose for the most part. I've found that there's no way to expedite getting back on track except to just get back on track I do remove things that I normally consume in moderation and tend to be a bit stricter with myself after being off plan (like the holidays). I find that it helps to get back to that mindset of being on track. I think just getting back to following a healthy plan will yield the same exact result.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #4  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the two previous posters. My version of a detox is getting back on plan and following my food and exercise plan to the T. I don't allow myself any slack or treats for usually a week. This not only gets me physically back on track but it helps to get my habits back on track.

ETA: Water! Drinking lots of water is a key part of my "detox" strategy.

Last edited by peanutt; 01-02-2011 at 07:40 PM.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #5  
~Kim~

Just getting back on plan is a detox for me. I'm 4 days in and I already feel so much better. I've messed with "cleanses" and "detox" stuff in the past, and I honestly think I just wasted my money.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #6  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

My detox this january is going to be making sure i eat 100% on plan for several days, maybe even a week. This is a challenge for me because I'm not the type who stays on plan foodwise very easily. Luckily i tend to burn tons and tons of calories by working out like a madwoman
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

My thoughts reside with Stella Rosa. Her plan is exactly my own course of action.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/135.8/13?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutt View Post
ETA: Water! Drinking lots of water is a key part of my "detox" strategy.
Haha Yep! Water worked great for me. When I got home from my parents, I just drank a lot of water, and I ended up dropping 3.5-4 lbs in a day or two (right back to where I was when I left, so I maintained at my parents, which was my goal for the holiday )

If you are really worried about it, I'd suggest drinking lots of water and making super good food choices for a week (lots of fruits and veggies!) to replenish any nutrients you might have skimped on during the holidays.
flashfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/ticker/145

Height: 5'1"

I really don't know anything about Jillian's detox but if it's a pill I wouldn't trust it, even if it does have her face on it, those things can really mess with your body and a lot of times they have side effects on your brain. I would just eat a lot of fruits and veggies and drink tons of water. Everything will flush out of your body naturally.
ihavethemusicinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 168/168/135ish

all you really need to do to "detox" is drink more water than usuall and add a little squeeze of lemon into it and that will help and make you feel better thats what i always do to get back on track after i've binged
jackiedavis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #11  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

You know, I'm with you on the detox, but for me I have to detox my mind. For my body, I'll just eat on plan again. But now I'm mentally in this mode of see-food-eat-food. It's not good.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

I used those same pills your talking about when they first came out. Did not feel not one bit different. I was never a fan of any kind of pills, but stupid me, I figured if it has Jillian's face on it, it must be effective... NOOOOT!

I do plan on "detoxing" by not eating any sugar for a week to stop my cravings. Only veggies and proteins. If you want some probiotics to regulate your digestive system you can just have some activia yogurt, that always works for me
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #13  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Most detox/cleanse pills on the market are just loaded with laxatives and diuretics. They purge your body alright, but not necessarily of the sugar/chemicals/etc. you're talking about. They just make you have to use the bathroom a lot. Your body is designed to cleanse itself, you don't really need to take pills to do that.

Like everyone else has said, just drink a lot of water, exercise, get back on plan, and you'll be fine.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote