Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Fighting the Urge...

I'm currently fighting the urge to snack like crazy. I'm not hungry-at all. I'm just bored. I'm at my mother's house and I don't really have a lot to do here-aside from eat. Its usually why I end up breaking my diet when I visit her. But I'm determined to fight this. I do not need to snack!! But I want to sooo badly.

I've tried gum, tea...ugh. Does anyone have any ideas? What do you do to fight the urge to snack?
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #2  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

If possible, I go for a walk. If that doesn't work, I do something that prohibits even the possibility of eating--taking a long, luxurious bath, for instance, or giving myself a complete mani/pedi. Anything that you do with your hands is good, I find; focusing on doing something takes my focus away from snacks.

If I still want to nosh on something after all that, then maybe the answer is that I really am hungry. Bodies aren't machines and use fuel at irregular intervals; sometimes the 400-calorie lunch that fills you up on Tuesday doesn't do a thing for you on Friday. Snacky urges are genuine hunger sometimes, though it's sometimes tough for me to tell the difference (one of the things I'm trying to learn).

If I decide not to fight the urge, I dawdle over my food. The more I play with it--slicing fruit into thin slices, cutting carrots into matchstick-like strips, tying my string-cheese strings into knots before eating--the more satisfied I am when done.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #3  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

Instead of snacking on things that are bad for you, snack on low cal crunchy veggies!!!

Oh and try learning to knit. Your hands are kept busy!
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

Hm, I gave myself a manicure. I think it worked because I couldn't pick anything up until my nails dried. Lol. And now my nails look pretty to boot! Lol. Thanks for the tip! I may just start knitting too!
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Clementines. I just ate 4 of them. (140 calories total) My belly is full now.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/135/120

Height: 5'4''

It is so hard to visit home and not eat everything! I hear you. Try healthy snack or hot tea/coffee.
iiholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #7  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

I like the clementines idea. If you are able to eat a certain about of fruit find something that is filling. I like Asian Pears (Apple-Pear) or just a regular sized orange. Peel the orange yourself, gives you something to do with your hands and then take your time peeling off the gross white stringies. I do this at work when I'm bored and have nothing to do. Then I peel each individual slice and eat one at a time. It usually works pretty well or I drink a cup of fat free milk. That usually fills me up. But I also like the idea of painting your nails. Since you are visiting your mother you might consider the walk as well. Usually cravings when you are bored will only last a few minutes so distracting yourself in the meantime is best. Do anything and everything that can keep your hands busy and force your mind to focus on something else.
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

I did the mani pedi thing yesterday, highlighted my hair, then dried it and styled it (kids were gone at a relatives until like - 8). Worked pretty well! I also knit or just gnaw on my own arm.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote