Old 10-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/236/145

Height: 5'4"

Default The imagery of size

Yesterday, I decided to do abit of a revamp with my work outfits, so went shopping.
After losing the last 30lbs I was feeling really confident, I had been buying size 16(UK) tops so I picked a few I liked and took them to the changing room to try on.

Now I remember the last time I went into this particular store I was in. It was when I was around 230lbs and I hated looking at myself in the mirror. I remember having to buy a size 24 jogging pants (Seriously i've never been 24, except in this place). The mirrors just seemed to accentuate every fold of flesh and every bit of uncovered cellulite (shivers).

Anyway, yesterday I walked into the changing room and actually was admiring myself in the mirror, thinking "wow, i've come such a long way". I saw a fit body with great curves. excellent! right?
Then I tried on the tops. and top after top refused to fit right. all were way too small. I was horrified! thinking I must have put on weight despite knowing i hadn't. I looked in the mirror now and saw all the fat blobby folds again that wern't there just a few moments before. It was horrible. My self-confidence and self-image plumetted.
I left the store without buying anything.

It didn't occur to me untill later that it really must have just been the stores skewed sizing (remember the 24!) and i should remember that I actually DO look good and whatever clothing size I am should not dictate how good I feel.

I thought I'd share this as I think this issue affects alot of women. I'd like to here your thoughts on it.

Last edited by Ali87; 10-29-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Ali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I know that feeling all too well. It happens a lot with trousers. I never fit into the one I think will do... My confidence always takes a nose dive and I feel like crying my eyes out, right there and then. It sucks a lot!

But you've got the right idea here:
Quote:
i should remember that I actually DO look good and whatever clothing size I am should not dictate how good I feel.
That focus is magnificent!
thaisccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #3  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

It's weird to me...I have incredibly low self-confidence in most arenas in life, and I would think that clothing sizes would screw with my mind and emotions as much as numbers on the scale, but they never have. Maybe it's because I've been plus size nearly all of my life, and there seems to be an even bigger discrepancy between plus sizes than in standard sizes. I generally only get upset about sizing when there's something I'd like to buy, but there isn't a size available that fits (whether they're all too big or too small). I went to Australia this summer with a friend, and our luggage disappeared for a couple days. Going into stores, I'd just walk into a store and go to the kindest looking sales women and ask, "Honestly, do you carry anything that might fit me?" Turns out their sizes are similar to ours, but fits run small compared to standard American. My friend wouldn't buy a pair of jeans in size 18 because she refused to be above a 16 -her American size - even though she knew the measurements weren't compatible. She was uncomfortable in super tight jeans until our luggage arrived, and I honestly thought it was crazy...Personally, I'm just happy when I find something that looks flattering. I've even bought maternity tops before, and I remember being happy to find something that didn't cling to my belly. I did, however, cut out all the labels that said maternity... I suppose my "as long as it fits" logic only extends so far
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

You came a long way, you shouldn't feel disappointed. There are so many brands that have sizes so different that what they really are. Like for example I now fit both UK sizes 16 and 14 depending on the brand name, and Jane Norman's size 16 does not fit me at all! My best friend is size 12 and insists she can't fit in a Jane Norman size 16 either!
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/**ticker**/115

Height: 5'2

That is one of the main reasons why I want to lose weight. I'm so sick of going into the stores and trying on things and walking out with nothing besides tears because everything fit all wrong! I will be beyond thrilled when I can walk into a store and feel confident when trying on clothes!
JLNichols07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #6  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

This is one of my biggest battles. My mother and I used to get into the worst fights while shopping because I'd get all emotional and feel terrible about myself. I never buy new clothes because everytime I get into a dressing room with some item of clothing I love, I put it on and it transforms into this hideous costume of an outfit and I look lumpy and disgusting. I get nearly hysterical in my head, and I usually spiral into a self-hating binge.
God just thinking about it sucks
I definitely know where you're coming from. It's the worst. and it's my wildest dream to be able to go into an outfit I love and look amazing. And it would be even more wonderful if that outfit was a bikini
hopefully someday soon..
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Well-fitting clothes are much more important to body confidence than they are given credit for, IMO. It is incredibly difficult not to get a little obsessed with labels and numbers and sizes sometimes. I often have to remind myself that no one except me can see the little number on the tag.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote