Old 05-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #1  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

Default What losing weight has taught me

I thought I should make a thread about something your weight loss journey has taught you about life that has made an impact on you.

weight loss has taught me that if I mess up, that isn't the end. It use to be that I was constantly changing my mind about things, or getting exciting about doing something new but stopping really shortly after. It was because if I messed up just once I thought that meant that I was done with that thing! Like before, if I decided to start working out then didn't do it one of the days I had planned I would stop all together. Another example was when I tried to be a vegetarian a couple years ago, one day I messed up and had meat. Instead of getting back on track I thought "oh well I can'"t be vegetarian"!!

now if i eat poorly one day, i pick myself back up the next day and keep going. I think oh it was a minor slip up on the long journey, instead of it being an indicator that I cannot do it. i also recently decided to go vegan and since then I did eat something extremely nonvegan, but instead of giving up like i did with vegetarianism I kept going. I am suddenly realizing that all my ideas and wants I am sticking with instead of quickly changing my mind about. I finally feel like I am grounded and not constantly changing! It's great!

so what have you girls learned from your journey so far?
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

Great thread thought pinkalarmclock!

- I've learned that having an issue with my weight was really a side effect of what was a bigger issue. Why was I 35 lbs overweight? because of being an emotional eater and drinking to excess. Why was I doing that? Because I wasn't happy with my life and what I was doing with it. Aha! Fix the root of the problem and everything else falls in line a lot easier!

- I've learned that weight isn't everything

- I've learned that other people have issues too and they're not all living perfect lives just because they look perfect on the outside

- I've learned that I can do it! And I can influence other people to live healthier happier lives too.

And I'm just an all around happier person myself.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

Great idea!

I've learned that I can't eat as much as my husband. That was an amazingly amazing lesson for me. I guess I'm a little dense.

I've learned that I'm MUCH happier thin than fat. It's going to be a lot of hard work to keep this off, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

I've learned no food tastes as good as looking in the mirror feels.
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #4  
improving life!

im already really glad i made this thread! you both learned a lot and such good things! its amazing how loosing some weight can completely change a persons life!
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/98.2/100

Height: 4'10.5"

I've learned that no, I really don't need to eat like there's no tomorrow. There's, luckily for most of us, a nearly limitless amount of food accessible to us. No need for me to try and eat as much of it as possible in one sitting.

I've learned that vegetables are delicious. Even when they're not drenched in butter, cheese, or dressing.

I've learned that I choose my clothes, they don't choose me. It's not just about what fits anymore, it's more like, all of them fit, most of them look good, and a few are going home with me.

I've learned that DH really wanted a healthy and more fit wife. He would never say so to my face, even at my highest weight. But I can tell he finds me more attractive and he takes initiative to spend time together and go out together.

I've learned that my extra weight was preventing me from being able to get pregnant. A mere 20 lbs later, my cycle went from non-existant to being like clockwork and I was ovulating like a champ.

Last edited by chickapea; 05-07-2010 at 05:45 PM.
chickapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/171.0/132

Height: 5'6

I've learned that I am not defined by a number, by the scale. I am SO much more than that.

I've learned that the outside problems are trivial compared to the inside problems. Fix your mental, emotional issues and the physical will follow naturally.

I've learned that I am a runner. That if I put my mind to it, I can accomplish just about anything.

I've learned that I love trying new things. Greek yogurt, VitaTops, POM, pumpkin and almond butter, barefoot/minimalist running.

I've learned that I can run a marathon and become a triathlete.

I've learned that blogging is therapeutic and the support community from blogging is amazing and beautiful. These people, they just get it. And they're all cheering me on.

I've learned that loving food, to eat guilt-free, is the most important thing. Ever. So what if I have chocolate? And bread? And pasta? And burritos? And fried rice? I won't gain 50 pounds back over night.

I've learned that if I really want to eat something, I can just make it. Healthier, bigger, and cheaper too.

I've learned that I need to break out of my walls, out of my comfort zone. I tried the bosu ball. I got on a stationary bike and road for 28 miles. I climbed the Stairmaster for 99 minutes. I started running barefoot.

I've learned that getting healthy, that losing weight, is fun and exciting, not boring and monotonous and dreadful.

It's a beautiful journey that's turned into something more than just losing weight. It isn't about when I will get to the number, it's about how I will get there and the things I will do along the way (Half Marathon, Marathon, Triathlon, Mud Run, Warrior Dash, Gran Fondo, the list keeps growing).

Last edited by Jess7286; 05-07-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Jess7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Ooh fun...

I've learned to recognize when I need to eat and when I'm just bored.

I've learned that baby spinach fills the same crunchy void as potato chips.

I've learned that you can lose 50+ lbs and still have chocolate every day (thank GOD).

I've learned that I can control my anxiety through diet and exercise.

I've learned that I can hike 30 miles in 9 hours and that I WILL be able to do the 60 miles

I've learned to respect and cherish myself like the important thing that I am.

I've learned that being attractive has nothing to do with weight, and everything about self-confidence.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

I like this thread because losing weight is about so much more than numbers. I have learned that I am human, and making mistakes is part of the process. It's about recognizing the mistake, and making different choices the next day. I honestly think that I haven't learned everything that I can learn from this process. I'm sure that I will be learning about this for the rest of my life, because there is a learning process to maintaining also.
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #9  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

I've learned (or found) that I have dedication and determination. I found strength I never knew I had. I've also learned that losing weight is not only about the physical but more so the mental. Mostly in that I overcame a lot of personal problems I was having, as I lose the weight. I realize the only way I would truly get to any of my goals and STAY at my goal weight, is if I resolved a lot of emotional conflict within myself.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I have learned to appreciate my body.

I have learned that I am not trying to *change* it, i'm just *improving* it.

I have learned that my body is beautiful and can accomplish far more than I ever thought possible.

And, most importantly, I have learned how much my mind and my body are connected.
Digging Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #11  

Height: 5'1"

I've learned something a little different. I've learned that I can't keep forgiving myself for my slip ups. Coddling myself and telling myself I'm human and I deserve to eat what I want when I want it because that mentality only made me heavier and whinier. I've learned that I'm much happier treating eating as fuel instead of the highlight of my day like I have for so many years.

I've learned life will go on if I don't eat that piece of cheesecake or slice of pizza. I've learned it's so freeing not to allow food to rule my life. And that I wish I had subscribed to that way of thinking much, much earlier.

Last edited by Fae10; 05-08-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Fae10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #12  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

I"ve learned that no matter how good I think that junk food is going to taste, it's still going to make me feel physically awful.

I've learned that exercising is a great mood enhancer.

I've learned to appreciate and respect my body and that the only limitations it has are the ones my mind puts on it.

I've learned that I need to accept the reality of the way things are before I can expect to change them.

And mostly, I've learned that I deserve as much love for myself as I give to others.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

great thread btw!

i've learned how important my family's health and quality of life are to me.

i've learned how much will power i am capable of having

i've learned better eating habits and how important having high activity levels are.

i've learned how many other people there are that have similar stories to me, sharing my success and failures
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #14  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

I've learned to be patient with myself.
I've learned that exercising makes me feel amazingly powerful.
I've learned I can survive outside of my comfort zone (sometimes way out).
I've learned that I can do anything I decide is important enough to work for.

Great thread. I'm a teacher, so naturally, I love it.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #15  
New to 3FC

S/C/G: 212/208/145

Height: 5'4

Weight loss has taught me that I'm a lot stronger then I thought I was! It also taught me about perseverance and success! I can be successful if I put my mind on a goal! It also taught me patience.....I needed that!
Secretz is offline   Reply With Quote