Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Talk to several tattoo artists. Ask around and go to the shops with the best reputation in your area for excellent work.

I've been considering a tatoo to celebrate when I get to my ideal weight, and and friends with tattoos have encouraged me not to wait, so I began thinking of getting a tattoo or piercing to mark my 100 lb loss when I reach it.

I went in to the primo shop in our area and spoke with a couple of the tatoo artists. They told me it depended on the size and placement of the tatoo as to whether weight loss or gain could distort the tatoo. They told me there were places that were more susceptible to distortion (they advise not just dieters, but also weight lifters) not to get large or intricate tattoos in areas that are prone to that kind of distortion.

I'm thinking of a tribal design or a celtic knotwork piece, because I was told they're the least susceptible to distortion from weight changes.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #17  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

i dont have any tattoos, but i've been thinking about getting one for the past couple years. i know exactly what i want, but i dont know where i want it. i think i've always kinda figured i would wait til i was at a lower weight too. clearly i'm in no rush, lol. This is what i want:

Where do you guys think i should get it (eventually...)? I was thinking lower back off to the side, kinda on the hip? or possibly in front on the hip? i only want it to be an inch or 2 tall. i want it to be completely concealable with clothes, even with tank top/ shorts (no shoulders/necks/legs). bathing suit is ok.

Last edited by jazzang; 04-27-2010 at 08:18 PM.
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #18  

Height: 5'11

Jazz- That is totally cute. I wish I knew how to help you because im so lost myself. Im leaning towards getting it on my back like under my bra strap right in the middle. Who knows though.
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #19  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Jess - that's why I got mine on my back, not lower back, but just on the other side of my navel. You can't see it unless I'm naked or wearing a bathing suit, even if I bend over and my lower back is exposed.

That is so totally cute.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #20  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Aw, Jess, that's cute!

I'm really seriously considering getting one on my ribcage (It's going to hurt!) like right under one of my boobs (sorry for the unclassy imagery-- only way I know to describe it) with just really fine text that says "I'm an extraordinary machine." I don't feel like the size of that area has changed TOO much or will continue to.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 154/147.75/120

Height: 5'2-3" ish

Don't worry about the pain so much. Compared to the tattoo, it only lasts a moment. I actually fell asleep for a good fifteen minutes when I got it done. It all depends on how you're wired and where you get it.
I drew my own tattoo, and was drawing wings all over my body before I settled for the top of the back, where wings should be. I did think about wings on the ankles, like Mercury, though. Here they are, if anyone's interested.

If you have any arty friends, or you draw yourself, try drawing what you want where you want it with a sharpie or marker, and see how you like it.
JadeBlue14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #22  
The Last 10lbs!

I second the getting something total personal, drawn by you or a friend. I printed off a whole bunch of ladybug pictures (my tattoo is three ladybugs and some leaves) and took them to the tattoo artist when I scheduled my appointment, and basically told him what I liked of each picture to see if he could put them together into a tattoo that was just for me. My mom did the same, but with two pictures (hers is a ladybug and one leaf, but quite different from mine - the ladybug thing is a family thing) and she took the bug from one and the leaf from another and it worked out great! I don't have too many particularly artistic friends but the tattoo artist's job is to come up with a design for you if you don't already have one.

Jazz - I love that, it's beautiful! I'd probably put it on the back myself, just because it's a 'smoother' canvas (on my body anyway) and I would personally feel like it was prettier there... if that makes sense.

JadeBlue - Your wings are gorgeous!

Pammy - if it's under your bra strap it will be cut in half when you wear a bathing suit or are prancing around in your undies or have a nice strappy dress on. Mine's just to the left of my strap so that the whole thing is visible if I am wearing straps. Wouldn't you rather see the whole thing without having to pull the strap aside? While I don't think this should affect your decision at all on placement, for the first few days I had mine I had trouble wearing a bra because the skin was pretty angry so if it's right under your bra that might be hard if you have to go out to work or something (I got mine on summer vacation). Obviously you have it all your life so a few days is nothing but perhaps something to consider.

Last edited by freedomreins; 04-28-2010 at 05:30 AM.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskinomad View Post
I've always wanted a tattoo on my ribs on my side - like where your bra band covers.

It would definitely be coverable, and skin doesn't really stretch there like it does on my hips.
Me too!! I plan on getting a tattoo here after I meet my goal, I figured the same - that the skin wouldn't stretch when I'm preggo as much and it's somewhere I wouldn't have to show all the time.

Last edited by mdchick88; 04-28-2010 at 06:06 AM.
mdchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #24  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

i got one on the back of my shoulder, gained 20 pounds, lost what i've lost so far (~34) and it hasn't changed at all. my goal for my first tattoo was to get it somewhere i could easily hide, and for it to be on the smaller size. i would recommend everyone do that for their first tattoo it worked well for me.

i plan on getting another tattoo in loo of weight loss and life changes and it will be my second, so I'm thinking of going a little bigger and a place that shows more often. i was thinking of getting a phoenix feather to represent a kind of rebirth of my life and I was considering my underarm but the placement is still up in the air.

jazz i like that drawing/tattoo idea a lot!

jadeblue thats a really pretty and artistic tattoo!!
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #25  

Height: 5'11

freedomreins- I didn't really think about that. What if I got it a tad lower? I also really thought about the one under the boob but I HATE my stretch marks and would almost be embarrassed to lift my shirt for someone to put the tattoo on me lol. I also thought about maybe on my side where my bra strap is like under my arm written left to right.
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #26  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I've I ever got a tattoo... I have no idea where I'd put it. I think in the middle of the back is good because then you can be sure it's covered. I had a roommate who had a very pretty rose on her ankle/foot area that looked really pretty when she wore heels or strappy sandals.

Tattoos are a tough one because they're permanent. I'm a huge baby too!

I've thought about getting my ear cartilage pierced for a while, but still can't decided.
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

the one on my foot was almost instantly fadeded... I have a phrase along the edge of my foot..if you wanted to do your foot you should get it on the top... never on the edges lol... I have one and will probably never get another one
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote