Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #1  
Workin' on it...

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Question Exercising at work???

On Tuesday, I took part in an exercise challenge that Feral had brought to our attention...60 mins (all at once or spread out) on 4.20. I spread it out throughout the day, and felt pretty pumped when all was said and done.

I must admit that I've been really bad the past few weeks about working out. Between a move and a change in my work schedule, that has given me crazy early mornings, I am having trouble finding time. I get up before the sun and take care of animals (physical activity, but not enough to really get my heart rate up for a prolonged period). I get home and feel exhausted from my day and just want to relax for a bit.

Tuesday was a more rare day. I was able to go out and about, walking at a brisk pace for quite a while. Normally, I am at a desk for most of my 8 hours.

While I've significantly changed my eating habits over these four months and seen almost 20 lbs come off, I know that I am reaching a plateau that only more activity can help me overcome. The whole point of my "journey" is a total lifestyle change, so I need to find something that works in the everyday.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things that can be done in an office for exercise? I feel like if there was something I could do in here, every so often, it might help my metabolism keep going, instead of starting and stopping with activity for 8 hours. Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated...just consider that I work with others, so I'd rather not look like a crazy person running around the room!

I would love to have a treadmill in here, but we are currently space limited. We are looking at a larger building today, so I am keeping my fingers crossed, but need to plan as though we are stuck in this tiny spot.

Thank you so much in advance!
MisplacedMyHailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #2  

Height: 5'11

Do you have a conference room you could use? My sister works out in her confrere room with a coworker. They have a tv and dvd player and she just uses different workout tapes to mix it up. If not is there a good place to walk outside? Like walk around the block or something of course if its not a super busy place
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #3  
Happily Married

S/C/G: 194/177/145

Heres a couple of ideas http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/off...ercise/SM00115
When I worked in an office i'd keep weights under my desk and take breaks and do a couple sets also wall push ups, theres also a a piece of equipment like bike pedals you could get and put under the desk and pedal throughout the day. http://www.allegromedical.com/exerci...0bb678d8560eb4
Skinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #4  
Workin' on it...

skinnybride - You have MADE my day! I have never seen on of the little semi-bike things! HOW PERFECT!!! I could totally have that under my desk and keep on typing! Hmmm...this I must consider! Do you think it will build crazy amounts of muscle in my legs, though. As a lifelong equestrian, I already have calves of steel (not so great when you want those lovely lady calves). I could crush cans with these things! I need no help making them any bigger! haha Maybe if the resistance was low and I went for length of time, versus short term/greater effort?

Pammy - I actually got into "trouble" for trying to run laps around our building. Our area is so-so...we have a small ditch in the back with trees where homeless people have nested in the past. Concern for my safety was brought up, but my thought is: I'm already running...I will outrun a drunk who has to get out of a ditch and then try to get moving after me. Still, the powers that be have frowned upon my attempt. We also literally have three offices (all in use) and a shop space, so no conference room, or tv. Boo.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #5  
Happily Married

I would think on low resistance you wouldnt bulk up also you can sit this on top of your desk and do your arms I was considering getting one of these when i had a desk job but that company went out of business and now i do landscaping with my mom so i get plenty of exercise swinging the weedeater LOL
Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #6  
Workin' on it...

haha I can see it now: Someone walks in with my pedaling on my desk and stares...I respond with, "Don't judge me."

Landscaping must give you plenty of exercise time! Fantastic! I need to get on that at the farm...I've been waiting for rain to soften up my beds for weeding. I'll add it to tonight's TO DO list!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #7  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

That bike pedal thing is pretty cool. I would like to actually tone my calves.. I wonder if it would help with that?!
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #8  
Workin' on it...

I bet it would! skinnybride has me on a hunt now and I found one of these:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=13285228

I never even thought of some little machine like this! They even make little elliptical things, but it sounds like the stride lengths on those mess with you a bit much.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #9  
Happily Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedMyHailo View Post
I bet it would! skinnybride has me on a hunt now and I found one of these:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=13285228

I never even thought of some little machine like this! They even make little elliptical things, but it sounds like the stride lengths on those mess with you a bit much.
I have a stepper i use it in the winter but like the treadmill i get board on it LOL it would be great for you to use at work but it will not work with you sitting down at least mine wont but you could take a couple 10 min breaks throughout the day and do some steppin.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #10  
Workin' on it...

Exactly! 5 mins here and there, and I've kept up the momentum for the day. I would much rather have a full elliptical or treadmill, but the walls are already closing in on us. We'll see. I need to find some of these things in stores, so I can check them out in person.