Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11

Default OT: Tattoos ?

I have been seriously thinking about getting a tattoo once I hit my 100lb mark. I have always been against the idea of getting one but lately Im seriously starting to want one. The question is if I get one now and continue to lose weight is it going to make the tattoo look funny?, and I also want it in a hidden place so that Its not visible unless I want to show it to someone and cant quite figure out where to put it. I also worry about if I finally get to my goal and im not happy with my body and I want to have some plastic surgery to fix it and i don't want that to mess it up either.. HELP I'm so confused ?
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I have one (unrelated to weight loss) and I honestly think it depends where you put it - mine is on my back - not my lower back (no tramp stamp here) but its directly behind my navel so you can so totally see it when I wear a bathing suit, but I'm okay with that. I got it when I'd estimate I was about 195 lbs, and I gained 30 lbs and then lost 50 and there's no change to it.

An option is your foot, but that is painful (from my sister's experience). I had a friend who got a foot on her butt cheek (would always make me laugh) and she had a piece of mint candy on her thigh (her name was Candace). You could also get it on the side of your hip, you know like where underwear covers, but that might be a little risky later on in pregnancy if the skin stretches.

I kind of want another one on the back of my neck where you wouldn't be able to see it unless my hair was up, but my hairline is so low that it'd practically be on my back, so no go there.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

An acquaintance a long time ago, with a ton of tattoos, told me to think long and hard before getting something done on my feet, because apparently feet (as well as being super painful) have a big cell turn-over rate so it'll get faded and distorted quicker than other places.

I've always wanted a tattoo on my ribs on my side - like where your bra band covers. I want something travel related, like a silhouette of north and south America. It would definitely be coverable, and skin doesn't really stretch there like it does on my hips.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 258/starting over again/148

Height: 5'7"

i have 4, got them all before i gained the 100lbs...one on my chest, and the other 3 are hidden in my panty line.

when i gained the weight only 2 got out of whack. the one on my hip and right below my belly button those are the 2 that i will either have fixed or removed.

i have a friend who got one behind her ears. she said it didnt hurt but the sound got to her at one point. i think its a great spot for something meaningful
amandapaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I would caution you to really, really think about if you want one or not, especially if you were against getting them before. After all, the are forever.

I have 2 tattoos and another scheduled for July. Places that won't warp with weight gain or loss are your ankles, wrists, and your upper back on your shoulders. Everywhere else is vulnerable to stretching or loose skin. Those places aren't exactly concealable.

Perhaps taking time to further your weight loss goals and to make your final decision would be good. I'm all for tattoos but I want you to make the decision that is best for you.
Digging Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #6  

Thanks Stella. I thought about the foot but Im too much of a flip-flop/shoeless girl to get it on my foot to only hate it when Im dressed up and want to look classy and then realize I cant because I have one on my foot. I was actually thinking of the back of my neck too but also worried about If I'm old and gray and cut all my hair off I don't want it that visible lol I know I think about these things too much. I also seen one under some ladys breast that would still be covered by clothes/bra but wasn't sure if it would look bad later on and if I decided to get a boob lift.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #7  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I have 7.... one on my foot, one on the inside of either wrist, one on my lower back (doh- tramp stamp), one on my shoulder and one right below the nape of my neck, and one over my heart.

None of mine have stretched or "shrank." No distortion. The one that would probably be most likely to have had any would be on my lower back. I got it at one of my highest weights, have lost weight and gained with no problem.

I would think the most problematic areas would be on the stomach/hips/thighs.

As for the foot I have 2 stars (one red, one purple) with stardust. The stardust hurt because it was just little dots and I didn't have time to get used to the sensation. That was also before my most painful which were by far the 2 on my chest. Some artists are kind of weird about doing things on the foot because your feet peel more than any other part of your body. It really just depends on what you want and how the artists feels about it. I have had some fading (reds don't do as well no matter where you get them) but it doesn't look bad and it would not be the one I would touch up first if I decided to.

It's really a personal choice. I say think about it and if you want it a year from now then you really want it, however... I'm impulsive and have gotten some of my most meaningful and favorite work on a whim. That's my personality type though.

Hope that helped.

EDIT: Pammy, I worry about the same thing with a boob lift, but the work is already done and in all honesty I would think that they could probably do something that wouldn't mess it up.

Also, I originally wanted the tattoo below the nape of my neck on the back of my neck but the artist refused to do it for that reason. I was 19 and he said "no way, you can go to another shop, but when you're older and have a job and you wish you could cover it you can't." It is very literally just below where my skull meets my spine (you know that little bump) and you can rarely see it unless I want you to depending on the shirt. I would go there to be safe.

Last edited by Feral; 04-27-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #8  

Thanks ladies!

Diggin-
I have been thinking about it for a while and I am well aware that it will remain on my body till I'm dead and gone and im fine with that just need to find a good place for it.

Im actually wanting "Livestrong" in small black text somewhere. I lost 3 of my grandparents to cancer and I also consider it my mantra so its something I can totally live with.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #9  
The Last 10lbs!

I have one on the back of my left shoulder, between where my bra strap is and my arm. I think that's a good place for one because my skin there hasn't changed much, if at all, and it's very easy to hide if I need to. I got it two years ago but haven't lost that much weight since then really. I can say from personal experience that this part of your body doesn't hurt as much as others - my friend got one at the same time on her foot and she was screaming (she's a bit of a drama queen but still, with such little fat on the top of your foot, I imagine it would hurt a lot!). Mine took about an hour and a half and it was certainly bearable but the sensation was a bit annoying.

My mom has one above her ankle bone that she got last year. I don't think skin there would change much if you already have definition in your lower legs. She can cover it with a long skirt - even high socks - but it's on display in a shorter one.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #10  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

My tattoo actualy told me its better to get one when your overweight, than get skinny rather than when your skinny than gain weight. she said when ur skinny than gain it stretches but it doesnt when u loose, I have 5 tattoos and mine still look just fine
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Pammy I like that idea!

I have a unicorn on my back - I've always loved unicorns, and they're a symbol of eternal life. I got it right before my grandmother died of cancer, and she was the one who "gave me permission" to get it (basically she told my mom to shut up, it wasn't bad), so I always think of it as her, in a way, always with me I want a crescent moon and a star for my mom (that was her favorite moon), but I don't know where to put it, and I don't think she would approve, so I've held off on that.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #12  
Hot Mama

S/C/G: 201/192/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

i've got 8 i know 4 have stretched some only because it was a sort of tramp stamp piece (4 kanji words like a compass)
the ones on my upper back are in good shape after having gained 70+ pounds over time and the one on my leg well i got a feeling its going to look the same since i've never had skinny legs
lissa9501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #13  
2Hot2BFat

S/C/G: 368/344/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I have a rose tattoo on my back...near my shoulder blade. I got it when I weighed about 200 pounds. The most I have weighed is 327. The tattoo is 18years old (oh man! does that make me feel old!) And it hasn't changed at all...maybe a little faded.
Megan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #14  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I'm with those who say it depends on where it is. If you get it on your hip or upper arm (especially inner) it may distort, but not if it's somewhere fairly close to the bone like your back or ankle. I have an ankle one, and while I haven't lost enough to do anything anyway, I can tell it won't change just because of where it is on me.

Also, you are already thin enough that I think it would be fine no matter where you put it.

Go for it!
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like you know what you want and are getting some great info from the rest of the ladies. If you are able to seek out a trusted tattoo artist, they might be able to help you with some ideas for placement. I am a fan of making the tattoo a joint effort between me and the artist, and they tend to have helpful insights.
Digging Deep is offline   Reply With Quote