Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #496  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Thanks guys glad you are not getting too bored of my outfit updates lol...ever since I got into the FA community (fatshionista, yff, the pretty year, etc) I've been kind of obsessed with outfit blogging. Following the fashion shows on Jezebel doesn't help either.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #497  

S/C/G: 242.6/198.8/145

Height: 5'4''

Everyone is looking so great!!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #498  
In it for the long haul.

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

A story here if you care to read. If not, then scroll down and see my new buddy Asia!!!... I have been wanting a dog for 3 years, ever since we got our golden retriever mix Goldie put down. With the 6 cats (was 7 for a while) we accumulated shortly after her passing, a dog has been out of the question. For the last year, and especially in the last couple months, I started explaining my reasoning more to my mom, and I don't know if it was the stress or what, but she agreed to let me get a puppy! So just over a month ago, I was at the pet store and there was a older pup that no one was interested in. She was marked way down because she had lost the puppy look and she was 4 months old, and, she was one of my favorite breeds that I had been considering - Australian Shepherd mixed (with border collie maybe??).

I was so upset that no one would even consider her, since she wasn't some goof ball full of energy romping around the pens, (she was laying down most of the time) and I went up to her, and she got up and we locked eyes, and as they say, it was love at first sight, and I knew she was the dog I wanted. At the time my mom said no way. About a week later, I couldn't get my mind off her and I went to the pet store. I was hoping maybe she was gone so I could stop thinking about it, but she was still there, and her cage was atrocious. She had spilled her water all over and she had eliminated and was stepping in it and tracking it in her little cramped space. The only dry spot was where she had been laying down.

One of the people was feeding them for the night, (keep in mind, NOT CLEANING THEM, she was going to have to lay in it all night because they clean in the mornings. I had never seen the pens like this before) and I got my courage up and when they opened her pen, I asked to take her out and see her. She had the best disposition, excited but reserved, not terrified by any means, and also not bouncing off the walls with energy. My mom was there and we talked it over, (by this time she had agreed that we could get a dog before hand but neither of us thought it would be that soon) and Asia won our hearts that night. She has been my motivation, my hope, my companion, my confidant and a handful to take care of to boot ever since..but so SOOO worth it.. Meet Asia.

PS. I know several people advise against getting pups from pet stores. I understand this, and I understand that there is no way for a pet store to truly know its sources, but from my past experience with this pet store, I do know that they deal locally, usually with peoples accidental litters or with private breeders. I get it that getting a pup from a pet store is a risk, but I personally disagree with the notion that you shouldn't get them no matter how bad you feel for them. That just forces these animals into shelters and ultimately to destruction. Why didn't I rescue? I am going to be honest here, I've lived in the country with multiple animals for years. My mom and I have very different views on veterinary care. If it were up to me, every cat we have ever had would of had its shots, spayed, neutered, etc etc. My mom however, has long been a 'let nature take its course' kind of person. Unless and animal is injured or sick, then there is no taking it to the vet. Recently I talked her into getting the cats spayed/neutered and vaccinated for feline leukemia, but as you may well know, when you go to any good rescue or breeder, you are usually supposed to provide information on your past pets, vet references, etc etc, and we simply don't have that information. I told my mom upfront that this was not going to be like the past and that I wanted this dog to have everything it deserved in veterinary care, and I am glad to say that has been upheld.

Last edited by Phoenix301; 02-24-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #499  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

Phoenix - With that kind of story I look at it as you rescued her from that place - they might have been feeding her, but cleaning is part of the process and I find it ridiculous that they only clean in the morning. I used to work for a shelter that housed cats in PetSmart and we had to clean throughout the day. Especially since she was an older puppy that was unlikely to be selected, don't feel guilty about getting her! She's gorgeous!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #500  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Forest - I love to see your pictures ... is like I know your room already .lol.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #501  

S/C/G: 140/132/110

Height: 5'3

Phoenix - Asia is adorable! She looks so sweet and lively. And I second platformnine, don't feel guilty about adopting her. She clearly needed some love and attention.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #502  

Height: 5'11

Im a little late posting these, but here is a few pics of my trip to Chicago...

At the Field Museum:

Our anniversary/new years dinner cruise:

View of Chicago from the deck of the boat:

My first time sledding SOOO much fun:
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #503  

S/C/G: 190/160/130

Holy crap, forestroad! That dress is so adorable. I need it right now... do you know if they have it online. I'm going to go answer that question for myself right now...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #504  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

See you all in the new picture thread
Closed Thread