Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #1  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Default C25K Revitalized [Couch to 5k: Learning to run when you're not a runner]

OKAY.
So the last C25K thread was 11 pages back, so I figured we could use a revitalized thread.

For those of you, like me, who had never bothered to figure out what "C25K" stood for, simply skipping over the thread in the forums, it's "Couch to 5 kilometers." (As a Canadian, I love the metric. )

The creators website explains the program:

Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves.
You should ease into your running program gradually. In fact, the beginners' program we outline here is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months.

Below I added in the first three weeks of the program to show you what kind of beginning we're looking at.

I'm just starting off, doing my second workout of week one today. I'm hoping that this will help along my weight loss efforts, which have been good so far entirely WITHOUT any real exercise, so... I want to see my body really transform now, and hopefully this will help!

Feel free to join in, or talk about how far into the program you are, and how you're doing!
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Hi all!
Im not doing C25K, but i know many, many runners who started using this program, and had such great success they went on later to complete half marathons and even MARATHONS!!
Just wanted to offer encouragement for anyone doing the program or thinking of doing the program. Running will transform every aspect of your life, for the better, from your physical appearance/fitness/health to your self confidence and overall sense of well being and happiness!! Go for it!!
Side note- i have runnign experience, and id love to help answer any questions or offer advice or personal experiences to anyone getting started running..
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213\see ticker\165

Height: 5' 9"

ohhh....thanks for restarting this so that I found it. I have followed this before and did well, but quick for personal reasons. Now I'm back and will be doing this again!
jeweliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

I did W1D1 last night, then walked another 10 minutes after the 20 was up...

...and promptly had an asthma attack.

I'm going to do W1D2 tomorrow, armed with an inhaler.
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

Yay for C25K! The last thread totally helped me complete this program in the spring. Now i'm training for a 10km in Aug and a Half Marathon in Oct!

Good luck ladies!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #6  
Queen Yo-yo

I completed W1D2 today... it was boiling hot out, so it wasn't particularly pleasant, but I don't find 60 second runs very difficult, since I'm used to forcing myself to the point of cramps and inability to breathe for a full 20 minute jog, usually.
However, I've got problems with my iliotibial band in my right leg, and running two days in a row seems to have irritated it. I'm gonna take a day or two off to try to rest it up.

mkroyer:
You don't have any chronic injuries do ya?
I can't seem to figure out what else to do before working out other than warming up, and stretching, but... my illiotibial band in my right leg started acting up a few weeks ago when I was walking in downtown Toronto, and it's just... decided to stick around as a constant irritation. Any extended amount of WALKING, not even running just pains me. I'm going to see a doctor I was referred to about it in a couple of weeks, but I just don't want it to stop me from running.

Aphrodite:
I'm glad you're sticking with it, despite the asthma attack! It'll get so much easier. And DEFINITELY keep that inhaler with you!

jewel:
No prob, lol. I couldn't find the old thread until I'd gotten back ten pages, I figured we needed a new one.

Skinny:
Started it because of you!

Last edited by Jelbb; 07-30-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #7  
Mining right right now...

S/C/G: 198/ticker/138

Height: 5'4

im on week 5 day 2. day 1 i could not do the 5 minute intervals straight. I would have to stop a little then start again.I feel like I get out of breath easily. Any breathing tips? any suggestions to build my endurance?
dymondndruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

JelBB- i do have chronic injuries, all of which seem to stem from the fact that i have "ridiculously high- barbie doll arched feet" This cause tendonitis's, stress fractures, etc... My best advice is to get fitted and anlayzed for a great pair of running shoes at a small local store (im assuming though, you prob already have good shoes?). Depending on your gait (whether you pronate/underpronate, whatever, and where the stress fall on your feet (which translates to knees!) you may need to get custom orthodics, which may solve a LOT of problems for you.

Dymond- if you are having difficulty finishing the full length of the intervals, than you are going to fast....dont know what your pace is, but slow it down, being able to run the full time is what is key here, even if you go so slow you could WALK it faster!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #9  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

I'm joining this post because I'm getting into running for the first time, even though I'm not exactly following the C25K program.

I just wanted to second mkroyer's point about pacing. It's made such a difference for me to finish my lap goal and feel good about myself. Also watch out for the music you listen to when you run - it's instinctive to choice energetic stuff with a fast beat, but I found myself subconciously matching my stride to the beat, which meant I wore out more quickly, couldn't run as far, and felt discouraged. Choosing music with a slower beat helps me stay on track and feel awesome!
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #10  
Queen Yo-yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
JelBB- i do have chronic injuries, all of which seem to stem from the fact that i have "ridiculously high- barbie doll arched feet" This cause tendonitis's, stress fractures, etc... My best advice is to get fitted and anlayzed for a great pair of running shoes at a small local store (im assuming though, you prob already have good shoes?). Depending on your gait (whether you pronate/underpronate, whatever, and where the stress fall on your feet (which translates to knees!) you may need to get custom orthodics, which may solve a LOT of problems for you.
Yeah, actually, I've got achilles tendonitis as well, and my family MD told me that I look slightly knock-kneed and that I pronate... hopefully the doctor I've been referred to who I'm seeing in a couple of weeks can hook me up with some custom orthodics to help the pain!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8"

My asthma is SUPER mild, but the day before yesterday I had a cold and was running a slight fever, so that + the exercise.

I did some yoga today and I might try some very cautious walking on the treadmill later, but I'm going to wait to "run" until I have an inhaler again.
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #12  
Tellin' it like it is!

Jelbb- do you have good running shoes? As in, did you go to a specialty running store to purchase good shoes that fit your foot type and running style?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #13  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post
However, I've got problems with my iliotibial band in my right leg, and running two days in a row seems to have irritated it. I'm gonna take a day or two off to try to rest it up.
Awesome Program! Good to see a new thread for it. I started C25K in mid April, barely able to gasp my way through those 60 second running intervals. I got all the way through the program. I've since run two 5k races and am up to jogging an entire 41 minutes at a time! I'm now training for a 10k race on Thanksgiving.

Jelbb - Everything I've read about beginning to jog says not to run two days in a row. Your cardiovascular system may be able to take it, but your bones, joints, and muscles take longer to adapt. I would give them a break between each day of the program.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #14  
yay short girls!

S/C/G: 128/ticker/110

Height: 5'0"

I really want to do this, but I'm nervous because when I was 12, I started running and had severe shin pain - saw the trainer, and she said it wasn't shin splints plus ice/rest didn't help. I still get this shin pain when I power-walk or jog. Last year, I started running on treadmills, which was good for my shin pain, until I upped my mileage from 2.5 to 3 (after about a month or two), then I got the pain again and had to quit running. I have high arches and have rolled my ankles outwards more times than I can remember. I also have "loose joints" aka I'm really flexible. When I point my toes, I feel a pop in my ankle. This happens EVERY time I point my toes, even multiple times in a row. As for shoes, when I started running last year I did extensive research on shoes and invested in a pair by Mizuno. I think I might just not have a running body.
minitwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 192/166/150

Height: 5'11"

Jelbb- Saw this this morning, then went for a run outside later with my german shepherd. Definitely thought of you towards the end when we were both panting.
PiedPiper is offline   Reply With Quote