Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #16  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

A lot of people try and fail at dieting and I also think a lot of friends secretly enjoy having a fat friend around so they feel skinny in comparison (this may just be paranoia that comes from always being the fat friend). The point is, there are some reasons that people may not want you to get too skinny (jealousy), but there are also just some people whose eyes are clouded by love and honestly can't see that a friend is overweight and therefore doesn't think anything needs to be done.

Just my two cents.
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #17  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

I like the little white lie idea! Tell them your doc set the "goal" weight... and if they still complain tell them it's just a "goal" and we'll see where ya get to!
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #18  
Going, going... Gone!

S/C/G: 181/169/140

Height: 1.78, 5'10

With people these days so worried that everyone is going to flip out and get anorexia or some other eating disorder, the ones that actually need to lose weight also get bothered by it. I know the feeling.

I used to weigh 210 and am 5'10, so was obviously overweight, and yet people told me that I didn't need to diet when I first started. Still even now, when I mention my goal weight being 138, people look at me strangely and say that's way too little. And most of these comments come from people who are several inches taller than me and weigh less than 138 lbs.

Basically, my advice is to just ignore it.
SusanDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:10 AM   #19  
~jus' being me~

I have found it best to just bat my eyelids and smile and then continue doing whatever I want ha! I also dont speak in terms of weight with my 'real life' friends . . . if you think about it - how often does anyone ask a person who has never had a weight problem THEIR weight? Hardly ever . . .

The thing is . . . at the end of the day everyone will have an opinion about what you look like but the only opinion that matters is yours. YOU need to feel comfortable and happy in your skin. (the only time I would suggest substituting someone else's judgment for your own would be if you were say a size 4 and still saying you need to lose weight )

Keep in mind that as a size 10 you would already look amazing (and from your avatar you dont look like you have been hit with the ugly stick at all!!! heee) so when your friends & fam say 'dont lose anymore weight' i have no doubt (most) of them really truly mean it . . . . we are all more than just our weight and those who love us see the whole package and often are kinder to us than we are to ourselves.

You are doing GREAT! 40lbs is quite an achievement. Continue being happy and healthy and getting to your feel good place.

Last edited by Madison; 06-11-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #20  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

When I told my WW leader that my goal is 150, she and another lady were like "that's way too small for your build!" The one lady who knows my family from church years ago said "isn't your family all big-boned?" I am 5'9", so 150 would be perfect for me, I may even go lower. It all depends on how I feel when I get to it. *too soon to tell right now!* My mom was super skinny before she had children. She is about 5'4" or so. When she was my age, she was so tiny. She didn't look "big-boned" until she was obese. My dad is very tall, over 6". He was in the military and always lean and fit...until lately. He is in his 50's and now has a belly. I wouldn't even consider him overweight though. It really angers me when somebody tells me what frame I am. I am most definitely on the low side of medium frame. Not large at all.
I wish people would just keep their mouths shut...and yeah I don't discuss weight with anyone but DH, 3FC, and my little brother and his girlfriend (my friend who is losing weight with me).
aangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #21  
Manager

S/C/G: 176.2/115.2/120

Height: 5'1"

WHen people asked me about my goal weight Id tell them. They all say the same thing.
THERE WILL BE NOTHING LEFT OF YOU

I simply stand up for myself by saying. This really isnt about a number for me. Its about me feeling healthy, and being happy. You DONT have to like it. But Im doing it to make me happy.
Cause in the end that's what it comes down to be it health reasons or you want more energy or heck wanna fit cuter clothes..... its all about YOU!!! Dont forget that. Peoples opinions simply dont matter. well some peoples do but thats up to your discretion!
Dria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #22  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes if it's someone who's also dieting, it can be them imposing their goal weight on you. I found myself guilty of this recently with a friend who lost 40lbs, and I think looks GORGEOUS so I couldn't hide the look of shock on my face when she said she was still trying to lose another 10 and the involuntary "wow, really? you don't need to lose another ounce!" We had never shared our weights before, but we talked about it then, and I realized that she weighed about 20lbs more than I would have guessed based on her weightloss and just looking at her--it's so hard to judge weight looking at a person (she weighs what I do but looks 30lbs lighter and fits 2 sizes smaller and we're only an inch apart), and her goal to lose 10 more lbs isn't unrealistic or unhealthy, and if that's where she wants to be, good for her as long as it helps her enjoy life rather than hinders her. But because my goal is to look like she does now, I thought it was silly that she thought she needed to lose more--my bad.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote