Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

My cousin the other day had a weird way of telling me ...

"some people have asked me how many pounds you've lost so how much did you lose?"

i thought it was RUDE.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #17  
More than halfway to 100!

S/C/G: 273/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I alwasys say-- thanks, I have been working hard.

Or, if it's someone I know better, I say-- thanks, I have been working my *** off, literally!
IrishRose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #18  

Height: 5' 5"

jahjah, I do think that's rude. There is so much more about it than the pounds. I would get upset at my cousin.

I have a hard time when people notice my weight loss. I think it's wrapped up in psychological-BS, but I do get a little defensive and embarrassed.

But I just say "Yeah. Thanks." I try to keep it brief because it gets me bummed out--I over-read the compliment and turn it negative. Issues...
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #19  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

yup just take it as it is!!!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRose25 View Post
I alwasys say-- thanks, I have been working hard.

Or, if it's someone I know better, I say-- thanks, I have been working my *** off, literally!
I like that answer. Happened to mine.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #21  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I had people saying things to me after I had lost just 3 lbs! Granted, those 3 lbs took months to lose, so I imagine I lost a bunch of inches/gained muscle.

Anyways, the comments come all the time at my work. It's hard because they all speak Korean so I have to say things in a way they can understand. Generally it looks like:

"You've lost weight!"
"Oh, I don't think much, but I'm trying."

"You're face is thinner"
"Oh, maybe, I'm trying to lose weight."

I don't mind telling people I'm trying to lose weight, which I know some people do. Personally, it gets people off my back when I take tiny portions of Korean food at work--mostly I take small portions because I don't like Korean food!

Personally, I love weight loss comments. Better than the opposite, which I got many of---"Are you pregnant?"
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #22  

Talking

Say "shame you haven't!" that might stop them asking.

(joke)
dilleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/173/125

Height: 5'8"

I was hoping that SOMEONE would notice that I had lost weight. My mother that I hadn't seen in 3 months didn't notice. I told her I had last weight and she said "really? I can't tell" bummer. Then a co-worker that I am not close to and I don't see that much said "oh! you've lost weight" and it was awkward! Now I don't mind that people don't notice or comment.
ella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I hate those sorts of statements where they don't make any sense unless the person is implying something. If you took the "you've lost weight!" at face value, it just sounds stupid, heh. Don't you think the person already knows? I'll shut up now.

If you want to mess with them, you can look really surprised and go "Oh! Really? How much??" as if they just told you some news you didn't know. That one is fun.

Or just "Oh." in a very deadpan, monotone sort of way. I do that one to my grandparents, because they tend to say I've lost weight even when I've gained. ("No I haven't, but thank you for reminding me" didn't work.)

But, yeah, I generally just say "thank you."
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #25  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahjah1223 View Post
My cousin the other day had a weird way of telling me ...

"some people have asked me how many pounds you've lost so how much did you lose?"

i thought it was RUDE.
AAAH, I absolutely hate it when people do that! I can handle "Wow, you've lost weight!" or "Hey, you look great!" and all your basic/generic comments about it, but why do some people feel the need to know exactly how many pounds I've lost? I know it comes from a good place (i.e. they're just curious, and want to celebrate with me, etc) but it's so awkward. Cuz I can't pretend like I don't know... If it's someone I feel comfortable telling - a friend, or a family member (with the exception of my mom or any family member that I know would tell my mom) - I just tell them and try to act like I'm proud of it, not ashamed. Haha. Anyone else, I just try to deflect it with "Oooh, that's a pretty personal question..." and usually they just drop it after that.

In general, I respond to compliments with an enthusiastic "Thank you!" and a big smile. I like hearing them, and I want people to know that positive comments are welcome and will not offend me. Heh. Usually people follow up with "How did you do it?" and that gets a little more complicated... Lol.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #26  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

im always pleased, but always confused what to say too! Thank you? Thanks for what? Noticing? xD Should me more like thank ME for doing all the hard work when no change was noticable at all!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
Or just "Oh." in a very deadpan, monotone sort of way. I do that one to my grandparents, because they tend to say I've lost weight even when I've gained. ("No I haven't, but thank you for reminding me" didn't work.)

But, yeah, I generally just say "thank you."

A friend of mine does this too! She drives me nuts always saying Oh youve lost so much weight every time you see her even if I have NOT lost any or even gained. WHY say that!? Its like they just say it b/c your fat and think youd like to hear it? I dont get it.

Now a couple weeks ago, the weekend before I started up again, one of my friends said this and I was like no I havent your crazy, your so full of crap, ect and laughed it off.
BUT I really had lost some b/c when I weighed in for that Monday it was down some AND I can get in jeans I couldnt get in the month before. So I guess the little changes I made had been paying off. Now I feel kinda bad that she was being sincere and I thought she was being a fake complimenter like others do.

To Op Id just say Yep and Smile ear to ear

But I guess to me even though Id be proud of myself for losing it someone saying just "youve lost weight" isnt really a compliment to me. Its just a fact. So I wouldnt say thanks. (even though it is a great accomplishment)

If they said Youve lost some weight your looking good. Id say thanks and then wonder what they thought about me before LOL So, I guess they cant win with me!

I guess if they just said youve lost weight you could always say THANKS FOR NOTICING AND SMILE.
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

I say thank you and smile big- because a. I HAVE! and b. for them to notice and actually say something is a big deal, and I'm proud of it, darn it! I don't like to spend too much time dwelling on it, but I do appreciate having it notice. I like the way I look now. It only makes me wonder what they thought I looked like before..yikes!
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 200/173/140

Height: 5'9

i say, yea....jealous? and strike a pose.
then they laugh and walk away
fleming13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #30  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

It's really quite simple. Just say "Yeah, I feel great!" and leave it at that. If they ask you how you did it, tell them.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote