Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #1  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

Default Worst dinner you have gotten as a guest?

So, at Thursday I was over at some friends (all guys, 19-20 years old), a group of about 8 people together. They had made dinner for the lot of us.

Their dinner consisted of white flour macaroni, with heaps of cheese mixed in (it was so dense that it was hard taking a spoonful of it without lifting the entire bowl). They also had sauce: baked full-fat minced meat, and it was also reddish, so I suppose there must have been some kind of tomato somewhere in there (maybe 1 or 2 tomatoes for 8 people). I am not kidding. Both things were dripping with oil. Since I had to eat something I just took smaller portions (it was quite filling). And I skipped dessert.

After dinner they heaped the table with at least 2 kgs of chocolate. How do people expect me to diet when they put temptation right there under my nose? I stuck to small portions but I still felt kind of bloated when I got home.

What is the worst dinner you have gotten at somebody else's house or maybe at a restaurant? Share your stories
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

The worst dinners I've ever eaten at a friends house have not necessarily been unhealthy. I know a couple who fancy themselves gourmet cooks. They're not. I love them both dearly and they're good people and we're good friends, but they can't cook. And they're always throwing dinner parties because they think they are amazing cooks. The last time we were over there we had undercooked chicken in some kind of mushroom glaze, with overcooked veggies and rice pilaf from a box.

Really awful.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default LoL!

At home, and my husband. I don't think he knows it was the worst because he was so proud of himself for 'taking care' of me after I had surgery to repair my right leg when I compound fractured it and shattered my ankle in July 07'.

I was absolutely forbidden to be upright for longer than a few minutes, and only to use the portable commode next to the bed (ew!)

My husband's cooking repertoire is questionable at best and I spent ten long weeks eating nothing but lovingly prepared microwave pizza rolls, microwave oatmeal, microwave TV dinners, microwave onion rings, microwave pretzels, Burger King, and apple sauce.

Once I was able to get up out of bed and crutch around for short periods of time I taught him how to make things on the stove -- corned beef hash, eggs, grilled cheese, and later some more advanced stuff like spaghetti, jumbalaya, pancakes, mashed potatoes and gravy, fajitas, even homemade lasagna.

It was the longest six months of my LIFE...
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I once was at dinner at a relative's house. The meal consisted of boiled potatoes. That's it. Potatoes. No salad, no vegetables, no dessert, just potatoes.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

One of my friends thought it would be a good idea to use left over lasgana noodle that she didn't put in her lasgna for breakfast the next morning. She put it with eggs all mixed up. And called it sweedish noodles with maple syrup on top. Not good.....
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwing View Post
Their dinner consisted of white flour macaroni, with heaps of cheese mixed in (it was so dense that it was hard taking a spoonful of it without lifting the entire bowl).
LOL. I was just reading a recipe last night for a healthier mac and cheese (still a splurge). Doesn't sound so great at the moment!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #7  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

Was that, by any chance, on the website www.mediterrasian.com? One of my favorites . I often use their modified recipe for cheesecake (although my version is modified even more).

When I get bad cravings for fast food (doesn't happen often) I often view this youtube movie of someone eating a double pounder: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=VpDJpg2eW4o . Definitely an appetite killer.
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwing View Post
Was that, by any chance, on the website www.mediterrasian.com? One of my favorites . I often use their modified recipe for cheesecake (although my version is modified even more).

When I get bad cravings for fast food (doesn't happen often) I often view this youtube movie of someone eating a double pounder: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=VpDJpg2eW4o . Definitely an appetite killer.
I like that site, but actually I was reading it in a book called "The Best Light Recipe."
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #9  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

burger and chips....
at a Grease themed party....
i hated it with a passion!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #10  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

any time i stay w/ my family i am amazed at the fact that they haven't all died of heart attacks and that they aren't even fatter then they are! Its no wonder that I grew up fat given what they cook.
Nothing specific to gross me out - but lots of fat, lots of beef, lots of grease. My aunt was appalled that I had never cooked anything with Crisco in my entire life- I was appalled when I saw the congealed white goo to know it had been going in food they'd prepared me all this time. yuk.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
any time i stay w/ my family i am amazed at the fact that they haven't all died of heart attacks and that they aren't even fatter then they are! Its no wonder that I grew up fat given what they cook.
Nothing specific to gross me out - but lots of fat, lots of beef, lots of grease. My aunt was appalled that I had never cooked anything with Crisco in my entire life- I was appalled when I saw the congealed white goo to know it had been going in food they'd prepared me all this time. yuk.
Ewww! Do people really still use Crisco?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Uh yeah. I do still use crisco sometimes. why?

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #13  

I was at a party last night, and really couldn't find a single somewhat healthy thing to eat. I had a glass of wine, about 3 crackers with crab dip (really yummy but I know it was loaded with mayo, etc. and also the crackers were all the super unhealthy trans fat laden Ritz type crackers). Other options that I declined were Lil Smokies, a very rich looking cake of some sort, lots of other sweets, plenty of booze -- no veggie or fruit tray, nothing that wasn't processed, just really nothing to fill up on.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Uh yeah. I do still use crisco sometimes. why?

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean any offense. I was just commiserating with the poster's comments about realizing that much of her family's foods were made with Crisco. I can't think of anyone I know personally who uses it still (thinking of mainly my friends with young kids and my mom who has always been health conscious), though I'm sure I must have some friends who do. I thought the deleterious health effects of trans fats were quite well known now, and I have read (not sure where) that the Crisco company has been sold due to decline in sales. Again, sorry if I stepped on your toes by sounding like a shortening snob!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #15  

Height: 5'9"

Vegan pizza rolls.
I'm sure if you are vegan they are de-lish.
But, the italian flavoured veggie "meat", tasted like stinky socks, and the vegan "cheese" wouldn't melt. It just clumped together and felt like plastic in my mouth.
Tasted like puke. Sorry to be blunt.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote