Old 09-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I love the elliptical!!! I do that for at least 35 minutes everyday. I usually do the interval training one and I have started to up the incline as I go. I sweat like a pig on that!!!! My hair is usually soaking wet when I am done and I am always having to wipe my face and forehead because of the sweat. Plus, my face turns bright red, so I usually look wonderful when I am done. And then, of course, that's when I will run into former students or people I know! haha
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #17  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

The elliptical is awesome - I feel like I'm working my body out all over when I'm on it, not just my legs. I'm on it at least three times a week. I love that I can increase the resistance instead of merely going faster.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #18  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

See I dont have to really worry about people I know because recently moved 2500 miles away from pretty much everyone i know. It makes it easier to look like crap(and by crap I mean sweaty and red and such) at the gym withoutworry.
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 358/349.8/200

Height: 5'11"

I can't do the eliptical, my knees hurt too bad, but I can do a bit on a treadmill before my back starts to spasm and go numb...so its mostly the recumbent bike for me! I wish there were other nice alternatives as well.
sweetfelinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #20  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

Wow weird that you can do the treadmill and not the elliptical. The treadmill is higher impact especially on your knees. But everyone has there own niche of whatever works for them. Aslong aswe are all doing our best right!!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 250/244/150

Height: 5'9"

when I use the elliptical ( I actually own one so no one but my husband gets to see the jiggle) I move my feet around on the pedels. I find if I keep them up towards the back I get the tingle, and I think it is because you use your toes more. if you move them around, I think it works different muscles in your legs and gives your toes a break from just staying in the back of the pedel.
ducky0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #22  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

Hmmm interesting. The one I go on doesn't have straps or anything so I try to slowly move my feet around so I get as little tingly feeling as possible. Still weird thogh huh
Old 09-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blcarter84 View Post
See I dont have to really worry about people I know because recently moved 2500 miles away from pretty much everyone i know. It makes it easier to look like crap(and by crap I mean sweaty and red and such) at the gym withoutworry.
It's amusing because I joined the gym not in the town where I live and teach because I didn't want to see every single person I knew at the gym. Of course, I have run into 6 former students already. A couple of them get excited when they see me and practically yell across the room! There have been a couple kids though who give me the "I think I know you somehow" look. But I usually wear contacts to the gym and my hair is a lot shorter than it was when they were in school, so they're not too sure. I usually don't say anything though and keep either working out or walking past them. LOL

Last edited by Chele615; 09-28-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #24  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

Its always soo weird when you run into people you know at the gym because its like am I supposed to talk to them or continue going o the machine and reaso that I am there.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #25  
Get through today

Quote:
Its always soo weird when you run into people you know at the gym because its like am I supposed to talk to them or continue going o the machine and reaso that I am there.
Haha, that is why I had my mp3 player ALWAYS so I could just ignore people. I usually wanted to get in and out as fast as possible anyways, and the fewer distractions I have to prevent me from working out, the better!

I think the tingly toes (I get them too, and I LOVE the elliptical) is from continually pressing forward on your feet on the machine. I think it might be even more so is you are leaning forward instead of standing straight, although all machine are different so I'm not sure about this one. You could try placing more of your weight on your heel in the forward motion (this helps a little) and also taking a short break helps a lot for me. I'll usually split up my workout to rest my feet while doing weights or something, then go back to it, all the while keeping my heart-rate as high as possible.
BellaHTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #26  
Abe's Mom

S/C/G: 196/142.8/125

Height: 5'4"

with me i havent done the elliptical since before i got pregnant but when i did i moved my feet around but they were never like pressed towards the top or the bottom b'c it was just more comfortable to me to have them in the middle of the foot pedals --- and i luv the elliptical so much that i own one too
princess2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #27  
Workin' It

The tingly toe feeling is from the way you are standing - you are likely leaning forward a little and using the balls of your feet to apply the pressure to move the pedals. Try to stand up straighter, it will actually almost feel like you are leaning slightly backwards sometimes, and consciously push with your heels. I go so far as to curl my toes up sometimes to remind myself to adjust my posture. You will feel the exercise more in your calves that way as well, or at least I do. And, my heart rate seems to go up higher as well, though that might be coincidence.

I used to get tingly toes every day, now that I adjusted my posture it hasn't happened in months.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #28  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Ok so lately when I do my cardio, I run on the eliptical because the treadmill causes too much impact on my knees. Anytime I've ever been on an eliptical(which I love by the way) my toes tend to get tingly and like fall asleep after about 30 minutes on it. Does anyone else experience this or is it just me??
I get them sometimes. When my shoes are breaking down and I have to tie them tighter and tighter is when this happens. Then I know I'm getting to the point where it's time for new shoes. It's definitely weird, but not something I worry about.

Quote:
And then if you do say hi are you then obligated to carry on a conversation while you or they are working out? I always feel so weird talking to someone when only one of us is working out... but I still have to say hello.... I used to work in an athletic facility and whenever I would use the gym there were always those people that would insist on having along conversation, usually while I was leaving and they were still on the elliptical or treadmill. That was always really awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaHTH View Post
Haha, that is why I had my mp3 player ALWAYS so I could just ignore people. I usually wanted to get in and out as fast as possible anyways, and the fewer distractions I have to prevent me from working out, the better!
I wish this was a deterrent for people. I thought wearing the big headphones would help, but it doesn't. Not on the train, not on the gym
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #29  
Lisa

S/C/G: 300/290/180

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I get tingly toes, too.
Karatemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #30  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

Maybe I just need to get some new shoes...mine are kind of old. IT has been my next goal for a while but I want to get good ones and I am EXTREMELY broke right now! Just trying to be able to buy food to feed ourselves first.