Old 03-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #1  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Fashion advice for Spring/Summer much needed!

Hey everyone

Warm weather is coming, I've just hit my ultimate goal, (still can only half-believe it) and I need to start buying some Spring/Summer clothes that are cute and flattering!

I'm fine with tops and tanks, found lots of cute ones, but here's my problem:

I don't know what to wear for "bottoms": shorts, skirts, capris, pants in light weight fabrics??

The other day I bought cute shorts at Abercrombie, and they fit and I looked pretty good in them, but I realized I have stretch marks on my inner thighs. I'm not quite sure how visible they would be to most people, but it definitely made me feel self-conscious, so I returned them. I also just don't know how comfortable I feel in anything that...short. So same goes for miniskirts. I wouldn't rule anything out, I guess it just can't be anything that short.

I don't want to live in my jeans -- they're too heavy, too hot. I really don't know what to wear.

Any ideas/styles/or specific stores would be much, much appreciated!!

(By the way, for some reason, I tend to look terrible in most "bottoms" from the GAP, don't know why).

Thank you so much!

Nineteen

Last edited by nineteen; 03-16-2008 at 01:09 PM.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I am no style maven, just wanted to say CONGRATS!!! You are a skinny minny now! Can't you wear anything you want?? If I were you, I'd spend a day shopping, trying lots of stuff on (I would imagine that the whole dressing room scene is much less of an ordeal when you're 127 lbs!), and see what you like!
You've done such hard work to get the body you have, now it's the season to show it off!!!
S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Congrats on reaching goal!

I don't know what your body type is, but Bermuda shorts are in season again. They don't work for me because I'm heavy in the thigh, but if that's not a problem for you they are definitely long enough to cover your stretch marks.

Myself, I like skirts that hit just below the knee cap or right above. Capris are great too, but I have short legs for my height, so finding a good length takes trying on a lot of capris! I found a pair of Lee capris that fit well, they hit about 2" below the knee (maybe they are really suppose to be Bermudas? lol.)

Another option would be summer weight cotton pants. I have a pair of light Dockers that are nice.

I'm not a fan of The Gap/Old Navy either. They fit funny and just don't look good on me! I like NY & Co., Macy's, Eddie Bauer, The Loft, etc. I'd try lots of stores to see what fits you well.

Last edited by zenor77; 03-16-2008 at 01:29 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #4  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Zenor... we must share the same legs, as we are about the same height... regular capris usually hit my ankles!

nineteen - i've never been comfortable in regular shorts even at my lowest adult weight. I have always felt like capris were the best option for me... oh and skirts. There is nothing sexier than a pencil skirt!
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #5  
Maintainer

Zenor~ Thank you!

What exactly are Bermuda shorts, anyways? Are those the ones that go down to slightly above you knees? My thighs aren't heavy so those could possibly work for me. In general do you think they're flattering? I'm not sure.

As for capris, I have the same problem -- they're almost always too long on me and look weird. However, I did find a good pair last year, so I guess there's hope.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #6  
Maintainer

shrinkinglizzy~ Thank you so much!

I wish I could say I can wear whatever I want, but sadly, it's very far from the truth! However, shopping IS so much more fun now, and it's definitely something to look forward to! All the hard work is so worth it.

Btw congrats on your loss! 10 lbs. makes a big difference. You will be there before you know it.

Last edited by nineteen; 03-16-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #7  
Maintainer

DaisyNicole~ do you know that I have never, ever worn a pencil skirt in my life? Maybe I should try one...

Where do you have good luck finding skirts?
Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Do some knee-length (or maybe a little shorter) A-line skirts!! They are so summery and pretty, and you can get them basically everywhere (from Banana and J.Crew to Target)

J.Crew has some really awesome ones they just came out with that can be worn three ways -- as a short dress, a mid-length dress, or a mid-length skirt. They come in lots of bright colors and are really fun!

A-line skirts are sooooo comfy and are really cool in the hot summer weather. I brought a bunch to Italy over the summer and LIVED in them! The best ones are soft and flowy instead of the more rigid ones, and they make great cover-ups at the beach as well.

And HUGE HUGE congrats on hitting goal!! That's so exciting. I can't WAIT for my first summer at goal weight, though I'm sure I'll never be in shorts either, as I just don't like them.

ETA: you can also do long tunic tops with leggings -- again, really comfy and really cute. Also can be bought on any budget!

Last edited by artsnsmarts; 03-16-2008 at 04:01 PM.
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Crop pants are very fashionable , now, and you get them in many different fabrics and prices.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

I heard that self-tanning lotions can help cover up stretch marks, sort of like makeup for your legs. Real tanning won't help as much though because the stretched marks won't absorb the sun as much as the surrounding skin, but I guess it's healthier to wear sunscreen anyway. Gotta protect your new body! I can't help with the shopping or fashion stuff though, I'm such a lost cause in that department!
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

Congrats on reaching your goal!!! I imagine it will take awhile to get completely comfortable with your body, my recommendation with miniskirts is to do it in a heavier fabric like jean that way you don't need to worry about it flying up. With shorts your a bit in luck with what has become in fashion lately is longer shorts, sort of a safari style/ bermuda short. Not to say you can't pull off the super short shorts, but if your not yet comfortable there are longer options out there. ANyways CONGRATS!!!
pinupqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #12  
Maintainer

artsnsmarts~ I will definitely check out J. Crew to see the skirts you mentioned! I haven't been to Target in a long time, either, so that may be worth a shot. Also I forgot about leggings with long tops -- that's a really good idea.

Thank you guys so, so much, and if you have any more ideas, keep 'em coming!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #13  
Maintainer

Thank you pinupqueen! Cute avatar, by the way.

I'll try on a lot of these longer shorts and see if I can find something cute. I still want to look fashionable and sexy!

Also...if any of you are familiar with a store or brand that tends to sell skirts/shorts/pants with STRETCH in them...even if it's just a little..I would be hugely appreciative. I have health problems that cause tight clothing, especially around my waist, to be a little uncomfortable, so I almost always buy things with stretch.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/173/125

Height: 5'8"

In the summer I wear a lot of light weight skirts (shorts are too casual for my job). I do wear Bermuda shorts sometimes but I think they are much cuter with heels, I think they look best with chunkier heels or wedges. Light weight pants are nice too, I like a wide leg cut in linen or light cotton. White jeans are always sexy! I like stores like jcrew, banana, the limited and Nordstrom.
ella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #15  
clean eating chick

Height: 5'8

Wow, you did an INCREDIBLE job!

I hate shorts too. Last summer bermuda shorts were in (like, dress pant type fabrics or casual cotton fabrics) and they were surprisingly flattering and still covered me up. Also knee length skirts and lots of capris! Good luck.

ETA: bermuda shorts hit right below the knee on me.

Last edited by yesitsmeagain; 03-16-2008 at 07:43 PM.
yesitsmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote