Old 01-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #1  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

Angry The Frump Effect (Warning: Whiny Rant!)

:: sigh :: I hate to be a whiner, but I feel like I want to get this off my chest..

For the past year or so, since I've been in the 200's, I feel like the biggest FRUMP! I'm only 25 years old, but I dress like I'm in my 80's, and not a fabulous granny at that!

Shopping for clothes is like a NIGHTMARE to me.. I have the body type and size where regular XL clothes dont' fit me because they come up too short like a belly shirt, and plus-sized clothes don't fit me either because they seem to be cut for an amazonian-type woman.. You know, Queen Latifah-esque - tall and hippy with a big chest, totally voluptuous. That type of build can pull off the plus-sized clothes because they can fill them out.

On me - the plus sized clothes just hang so I look like I'm wearing a deflated balloon.. Especially in the chest area, and the pants are way too long. Not to mention that Lane Bryant seems to stock all their tops in LOOOOOOW cut and/or sleeveless (I NEVER wear sleeveless because of my 'bat wings').. Something I don't like to wear.

I feel like it's nearly impossible for me to find anything that fits me correctly, especially at a decent price. I hunt high and low for longer tops in the regular XL size, like tunic tops so I won't get the problem with 'ride-up'

Another thing that drives me nuts.. Why do all the plus sized clothes have these garish prints on them? If I'm 200 something pounds, I don't want to wear anything with an animal print on them ("there goes the zebra!") or huge flower prints, or anything florescent. I'm the palest person in the world, blonde with no visible eyebrows or eyelashes without makeup, and if I wear those type of colors/patterns, I'm not wearing the clothes.. The clothes are wearing me!

Anyway, with the scraps I DO find, I end up looking like a total FRUMP. I'm 25yrs old and I look like a FRUMP.. I just end up wearing long shirts and long loose skirts and I come across not looking stylish, just dumpy.

I recently lost my job due to lay-off's, so I need to get a new job and I'm worried that not only my weight will inhibit my job-search, but my lack of a snazzy, professional wardrobe, when appearance seems to mean if not everything, but a LOT.

I can't WAIT to get back down to a size 14/16 and be able to wear all my lovely clothes from 'back then'.. There are so many more options when you fit within the size range carried in most stores.. I LOOOOVE Banana Republic and just very plain, conservative type clothes in subdued colors, and I just can't seem to find them in anything that looks good.. Just another reason to get losing.

Sorry for the long whiny session, but I felt the need to vent or else I'd just explode and start pulling out my hair!
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #2  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

Let me just say this: I feel your pain! :-/
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #3  

I too feel your pain and although I am far from my twenties , I do not like feeling frumpy. I am short I understand how you feel about pants being to long and just not fitting right. I have been shopping online at Oldnavy, they carry up to 20 in their regular womens and online have a womans plus section. Cute, hip and very affordable $5 shipping and womens plus can be returned at no shipping charges back. Just thought I'd share that
shesaflybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #4  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I think a lot of us are in the same boat as you in terms of an intense hatred for shopping right now. Things don't fit right, sometimes even if they do, you still feel wide and horrific in them. I've invested in a lot of sweaters and overcoats lately to try to hide the swell of my hips and stomach and lovehandles. You don't really want to go out and invest in a whole new wardrobe of clothes because you don't intend to stay this big for very long... but at the same time, you're not dropping the pounds off fast enough to fit into your old stuff... which means that you open your overflowing drawers of clothes every morning and rummage amongst the piles for something...ANYTHING that fits you NOW instead of "then." It's a really painful experience.

Lately I fit into the high-end of the average clothing store's line.
But the thing is... when they take that small size item and enlarge it, I don't feel like they're doing anything but just that... enlarging something that is meant for the figure of a small person. I never feel like they properly compensate for the fact that a larger person may not want the clothes clinging TIGHTLY to their bodies like the person who buys size 0 jeans and an extra small top. As a result, even though XLs FIT me, they always seem to be... off.

While I can't be there with you to help you ransack the local mall to search for things that aren't woefully not made for us... I would suggest trying to find a plus-size store that doesn't specialize in MATERNITY WEAR type crap. (I hate those plus size stores that have NOTHING stylish, it's all gaudy and gross. JC Penny and Cotton Ginny definitely have some grandma wear... but if you take a good look around, they sometimes have some really stylish little jackets and tanks and stuff.

I wish you the BEST of luck, and.. as someone who has gone out shopping a few times recently and come home crying... I can say that you're definitely not alone in your woes. Good luck sweetie.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Well, as a 50 year-old, I can't totally feel your pain, but I definitely know what you are talking about. My advice on the professional clothing topic is this: Go ahead and buy those low-cut tops if they fit you - just wear a cami or lacy tee underneath. Pair them with pants or skirt and a great structured jacket. Color match so that they look like a suit, and you are all set. Another great options is second-hand clothing stores. They may not have the latest trends, but you will find some classic pieces that actually fit your shape and look very professional.

Even at 215 lbs., I always looked professional and "put-together". You can too - it just takes a LOT of shopping and trying on pieces.

One last thought - can you sew? Sometimes a tuck here, a dart there can change an ill-fitting item into something that looks great.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 AM   #6  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

I can totally relate. When I go into Lane Bryant they are always out of petite length pants which in reality are average length...also the top have really tacky prints that I dont want to wear....but have no choice. I actually find that Jones New York have wonderful plus size professional attire. Also check out Lauren by Ralph Lauren. I just search high and low at TJ Maxx, Ebay, and plus size stores to scout out the best clothing I can find that doesnt have large flowers, animal prints, or no sleeves!!!

I too long for the days when I can stroll into gap or banana republic and buy a nice crisp suit.
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 AM   #7  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I feel your pain but I'm kinda different. Alot of plus size chicks don't like places like Torrid cause it's kinda gothic but I'm a rock chick and I LOVE Torrid! I've never been into Express and American Eagle. The problem is I just don't have the confidence to wear anything I like. So there are clothes that are my style and fit me but I never buy them.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I'm also 5'4" and sounds like similar sizing. However I do have a shortish body and longish legs for my height so I don't have quite the same issues as you in tops although a couple of inches longer would be appreciated at times as I like my oversized rump to be hidden.

I now seek out those stores whose 'normal' size range go slightly larger and have ditched the plus sized clothing shops. I also use mail order. I have recently got a couple of nice business shirts from Lands End in a size 16 which fit (yeah), although I need an 18 in their pants. Lands End will also hem pants to the length you require. I get things in their Clearance section to minimize cost. However I'm in my 40s not my 20s so you may consider these clothes to be too old for you. I tend to go for classic clothes rather than high fashion, so might not be the best to advise.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #9  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

"plus-sized clothes don't fit me either because they seem to be cut for an amazonian-type woman.. You know, Queen Latifah-esque - tall and hippy with a big chest, totally voluptuous. "

Oh my gosh, you have NO IDEA! I fit your description- 6'1", broad, 40G chest... and I am JUST as miserable as you! It's so crazy... I can't ever wear long sleeved shirts b/c the cuffs come halfway up my forearm. Most of the shirts out there are so short on me that they barely touch my waistband so I can't move for fear of exposing pasty white belly fat. Lane Bryant sells tall pants, but even the TALLS aren't "tall" enough for me! I'm in a constant state of "flood" status with my pants and have taken to wearing boots to make up the space between the floor and the bottom of my pants!!!

In other words--- I feel your pain. I'm in my 20's too and I make do with what I've got. I HATE shopping, but it's really because I'm frugal and I have to try on a LOT LOT LOT of things to find one outfit that I like. Pick up things you don't think will look good and try them on anyway--- and if it's too tight GO UP a size--- we are NOT confined to what a stupid fabric tag tells us we should wear.

You're petite--- and you think the grass is greener on the other side. Well this "amazonian" would beg to differ.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #10  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I was there and feel your pain. It goes away when the lbs do. I'm sorry that I don't have better advice for now...it's awful to be at that point....I know, when I was over 200 (not too long ago) I had the same problem...try on 20 different items to have 1 kinda work out for you...but not really. I'm taller than you, have long legs and a long torso...larger chest...shirts fit horribly...most were too short so I'd have to get a size that made my boobs fall out...it's awful....all I can do is provide hope....since I have gone down 2 sizes in pants and one in shirts...the fit is amazing and almost everything fits like it is supposed to....just work hard, live with what you have for now (or if you have a New York & Co where you live, that is where I found the best items...shop there).

Good luck!!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #11  
Fat-be-gone

Shari - I love torrid!! Not so much the prints (or the prices). But I do love that I fit into their leggings (I love leggings and heels!!) and I love their dresses. And they have killer pumps too.

I have the same problems with clothes. I have not bought a pair of jeans/skirts/pants in years because I have come to the sad reality that my waist is fatter than my legs.....so if the jeans fit my waist, my legs are swimming in the clothes. It is so frustrating.

But one thing I have to say that does make an outfit a little stylish....accessories. You can really dress up an outfit with just the right necklace or earrings. Sometimes When I feel like my outfit is old ladyish, I just put on some huge, trendy earrings or a long necklace, or even just a colorful headband. Believe me, accessories really do make an outfit.
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I always have problems with pants fitting right. That was my turning point. The last time, I tried on 2 different pairs of pants. One was too tight at the waist and fit good on the legs and the other was good on the waist but were awful-looking in the legs. Soo frustrating at times.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/270/150

Height: 5'5"

I totally feel what you're saying. I rarely shop for clothing because it just isn't fun when nothing looks good. Not too long ago, I went to TJ Maxx to buy a sweater for a party I had to go to. I went to the XL section and found two very nice ones I liked. Tried them both on, and uck! They were way too tight. Annoyed, I went back and look for 2XL. There were only 10 sweaters and a few shirts. All of them were looooow cut or floral print. I wanted something classy and nice-looking. Definitely not florals. I left with a 2XL sweater with stripes. I got home and it looked horrible on me because it was way too big. What's up with the huge difference between XL and 2XL. Can't there be a 1/2XL. That might fit me. :-)

I'm just trying to stick with the things I have now and hold off on buying anything new until I am closer to 200. I lost 20 and rewarded myself with a shopping spree at JC Penny. When I get to 200, I'll reward myself with new clothes again. Oh, and JC Penny has a wonderful line of jeans - Ana - that fit me perfectly. They took hips and bellies into consideration when they designed the clothes. The jeans fit my waist, hips, and legs without looking too tight or too loose anywhere.
foucault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 156/156/128

Height: 5'3"

Believe me, it doesn't get any easier the smaller you get unless you are happy with the way you look period. I'm on the line of overweight and obese for my height, and I hate shopping right now. Pants cause me the most heartbreak. Just make it a point when you reach your goal to go buy a nice pant suit or something that makes you feel awesome at work when you do find a job. Try not to get too down on yourself. It won't be the clothes or your weight that hinder you in a job interview, it'll be the lack of confidence that shines through. So as hard as it is, walk in there like you have the job already and all will fall into place
aovercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #15  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi LMM - our stats look very similar, and boy do I feel your pain! I swear, most designers out there aren't very good at their jobs. It easy to design something that looks good on a hanger. Designing something that looks good on curves - now that would impress me.

I second Jasmine's reccomendation about the Jones New York Womens. I pick up pieces on clearance at Dillards - by the time they get marked down they are almost reasonable in price, and they are the best fit I've found. I don't even bother with LB and other plus-size stores anymore. My biggest problem is that my frame isn't big - its just VERY WELL FILLED. Dillards also has an OK store-brand of pants called "Investments" that they sell in womens short. Nothing special, but they fit.

Good luck!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote