Old 05-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #1  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I forgot to ask for dressing on the side.

Our work cafeteria has some delicious food; I usually just stick with the self-serve salad bar, but today I noticed a smoked salmon salad was available. The demo salad had no sauce on it, just a triangle of toast with a dollop of cream cheese (easy enough to avoid). Well, I felt like a bit of a treat, so I decided to splurge my money on a fancy salad. I love me some salmon!

The demo salad LIED.

Imagine my horror when the salad server ladled about a half cup's worth of Italian dressing onto my gorgeous salad. I decided not to make a fuss, thinking "maybe I can splurge my calories, too," but I just input the amount into FitDay and my head exploded.*

Moral of the story: ALWAYS ask about sauces, even if you think there are none, or you'll end up like me: paper-towelling the dressing off each piece of spinach while your coworkers look on with horror. :P

*It also makes my head explode to realize that it wasn't too long ago that I would have obliviously chowed down this huge caloric amount! Thank goodness for FitDay...
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #2  

Alternative moral of the story: Don't be afraid not to accept food that you don't want to eat.

"Wow! The sample doesn't have dressing. Can you make me one without dressing, please?"
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I have just the perfect excuse for that: "I don't like dressing on my salad". Which is true (and makes other people rip they hair out of frustration when *I'm* the one making the salad).

Seriously, I'm going to second MariaMaria. Never be afraid of refusing the food if it's not conform. Back when I was working at McDo's, I tell you, I've seen people make a fuss for way less than a little dressing, so don't feel guilty or whatever.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

They don't put dressing on the demo salad because it will turn the lettuce/spinach to a slimy green liquid in a half an hour to an hour (word to the wise: if you ever pack a salad for yourself in your lunch, bring the dressing in a separate container).

I agree don't be afraid to speak up, especially with something as easily fixed as dressing on a salad (it's not like you would have had to wait for it to be cooked or anything).

Once at a restaurant I asked for a salad with dressing on the side. I made a point to emphasize that I wanted the dressing on the side; I must had said it three times in the course of giving my order. And the waiter did remember to bring me a little bowl of dressing on the side. Unfortunately, he also put the dressing on the salad (so I had a fully dressed salad with another little bowl of dressing on the side--he must have thought I was some sort of salad dressing-aholic). I guess I should have more clear that I wanted the dressing on the side and NOT on the salad!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #5  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm good at asking for an order to be remade if it's serious (ie: meat in the dish back when I was vegetarian, or if it contains one of the many foods I'm allergic to), but I think in this case, I was like "ehhhhh, it'll be some extra calories" and didn't figure it out until I got back to my desk and input it in FitDay. I've really got to get into the "dressing on the side" mindset.

BlueToBlue, that's hilarious -- extra dressing for you!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

I have to admit that I am afraid to ask for stuff to be re-made. I use to work in the food service industry and to think of what people I know did to food that was sent back it scares me to send things back. I usually just try to deal with it. I've totally been in that situation though. I always ask for dressing on the side it's been a habit of mine since I was a child. There are always times though that they ad the dressing on and I end up scooping it off. Totally irritating, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote