Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/173/148

Height: 5'7"

Default Insomnia - Side Effects?

Has anyone experienced insomnia while changing your eating habits and working out 6 days a week? Today I had a pretty healthy day, went swimming for 30 minutes after work, and felt good. We had dinner at 6:20pm, and cleanup and sat down infront of the TV at 7:00pm to watch American Idol for 2 hours. Got in bed at 8:00pm to watch the last hour of AI. Was comfy and relaxed at 9:00pm, but didn't fall asleep. I lay awake from 9:00 until now 12:00. I'm tired but my mind is fighting it. I thought maybe with the changes my fiancee' and I have made to our diets (healthy foods, no fast food), and working out at least 6 days a week. Does or did anyone have problems wih insomina during the changes you made to your health?
Samybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #2  
Hot Mama Wannabe!

S/C/G: 210/207/135

Height: 5'4"

I have always heard that working out actually helps you sleep better but it may take some time for your body to get used to the adrenaline? What time did you work out? Maybe work out in the mornings instead of the evenings and see if that helps with the insomnia issue?
Mamato4under5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #3  
here I go again...

I actually have the opposite problem... I had a "slip" these last few weeks, and have not been exercising very often... And I can't sleep at all. I was awake from 2:00 to 5:00 this morning. I get fidgety and mad when I don't sleep, and I finally wore myself out about 10 minutes before my alarm was going to go off. So, I've vowed to jump back on the wagon so I can get some sleep...

It could just be your body adjusting to your new lifestyle. Try a cup of "sleepytime" tea (I think its celestial seasonings) and maybe reading for awhile before bed. I think I've read that watching TV right before bed can upset your sleep, something to do with the flicking lights.

Good luck, and I hope the insomnia passes. It isn't any fun.
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #4  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I would chalk it up to something else. Remember, correlation does not always equal causation. I sleep like a baby on days when I work out, and that makes sense.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #5  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

Like everyone else said, your body might just need to adjust.
I noticed sometimes when i work out too late i tend to stay up later because the workout gave me energy.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/173/148

Height: 5'7"

Well, we're going to chalk it up to change and that fact that my legs and back were hurting. It probably had more to do with pain then anything. I have experienced insomnia before but then I was stressed and had an anxiety attack. I'm doing better now, took Wednesday off and pampered myself. I used the elliptical today, taking it a little easier. I'll post it if I experience again. Thanks for listening.

P.S. I'm not able to work out in the mornings, as I get up at 5:00am to be at work by 6:45. I don't get home until 4:00pm, so I workout after work.
Samybear is offline   Reply With Quote