Old 01-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #1  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Default Exercise during/after getting sick?

Ok, wondering if any of you exercise when you came down with cold/flu (happening to me this weekend! blargh!!!) My intuitive hunch for me is "No you idiot! you need bedrest pronto!" but my calorie-counting, exercise-crazed side is giving me guilt for just lying and puttering about for 4 days straight so far. If you're on a reduced-exercise regimen during sickness, what does it entail?

And I hope to resume normal diet/exercise habit soon after I recover, do y'all just go straight back on your regular regimen or ease your way back in? (I rarely get ill - so never had to think about stuff like this before.) Thanks!

PS I will say my diet has been better (calorie-wise) since I've been ill , lots of breads and soups and juices -- but can't wait to dive back into the raw fruits & veggies, which has been making my stomach queasy since I got sick.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

general rule of thumb is "above the neck symptoms" go for it "below the neck symptoms" rest.

If you arent sure try something VERY mild. Like take a short 20 minute walk. Does it make you feel better or want to take a nap? How do you feel 3 hours later? Listen to your body.

If you've been really sick ease back in or you can get sick over and over and over again.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #3  
here I go again...

I think that as long as you don't have a fever, and actually feel like you could exercise (physically, not just mentally) you should be fine.

I had a bit of a sinus infection, and I still did spinning (with a kleenex, mind you) and I just had to pace myself a little slower than normal.

I hope you're better soon!
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #4  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I'd say, if you think you can breathe well enough to exercise, do so - but I'd also be a little bit gentler. Your body *does* need its resources to help you get well, after all.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #5  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Turns out I *can* get back on that horse again, though I had to break it up into two workout 'cause I was getting out of breath - but thanks for the advice all around!
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #6  
Proud US Navy Wife

I remember in October I was really sick, but my new exercise DVD had just come in the mail, so I had to try it lol. Got through about half the cardio (it was intense!) before I just collapsed.

You're your own best jusge. Good job getting back on, and I hope you feel better soon!
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

I'm just getting over a cold myself. I couldn't breath for like a week, so it completely derailed my work outs.

But as far as being "bad" for you, I don't think it does any harm to work out when you have a cold.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #8  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

i got the worst cold ever in January. It was so bad I feel weird calling it a cold but apparently that's all it was. Anyway, point is I couldn't exercise for 3 weeks b/c I was so weak, stuffed up, etc. So I fell off the exercise and calorie counting wagon for a bit. Good news, no weight gain. Bad news, no weight loss. So I'm where I was before I got sick but back on the wagon so hopefully all will be well. So my point: even if you can't hit the gym as hard as normal, you're probably not eating as much if you feel crappy so it will probably even itself out.
nomorefatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I haven't had a cold in over a year now (VERY unusual for me -- don't know what's going on), but I usually take a break from working out when I'm sick. I just don't have the energy, and it's much more difficult to work out. However, I'm also one of those who can't eat much when I'm sick, so it balances out fine.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote