South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #1  
Determined

S/C/G: 209/166/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default Just a few clarifications needed

I have always done well in phase one when needing to get back on track (like after a 6 day holiday binge), but since I do not like to cook, I have limited my diet in those two weeks to just a few tried and true things. This time, I am wanting to branch out a little and was researching the book, and then looking here. I am a little confused on some things.

1: Are dill pickles and/or pepperoncini's permitted in P1, and if so, in what quantities?

2: Is it okay to take thin slabs of lite tofu and fry it in Olive Oil until crunchy on the outside? I did this today (with a nice 6 pepper seasoning that is carb free) to use up some tofu and it was SO yummy!!!!! But, I noticed here that frying seems to be a no-no even with olive oil.

3: I have been reading elsewhere that some people stay in phase one for up to 6 or more weeks and that their regular energy levels comes back after a month. Has anyone here done this and experienced this?
Leia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

Dill pickles are permitted on Ph1. I couldn't find any quantities but you may want to limit based on sodium. I don't have an answer on the tofu question but someone will. As far as the 6 week question I have not done this and don't know of anyone who has. Hope at least the pickle answer helps a little . Good luck.
THINBYJUNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #3  
Determined

YAY!! That is great news, Dawn. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #4  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I would think that tofu would be ok, and pan frying in OO would be fine but I would not do it alot. As for being on ph 1 for more than the two weeks is not recommened. You could stay on for an extra week but I would not do it longer than that. Hope this helps. And I hope I am right about the tofu, but it is a protien.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Leia, (what a pretty name!), you may have dill pickles and pepperoncini in any quantity that you'd like, but beware that they are usually high in sodium.
Frying tofu in olive oil is fine, too, but just try to use as little OO as you can get away with, because of the calories.
As far as staying on Phase 1 for longer than two weeks, it's highly discouraged because your body will not be getting enough of the nutrients it needs to maintain a healthy diet.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #6  
Determined

Thank you for the information every one. I appreciate it.

*goes off to make a lean chicken salad dinner*
Old 01-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #7  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb I looked that up

According to the official SBD web site you can use low fat, lite varieties of tofu on Phase One.

As for frying as long as you are only using 1 TB per meal of the approved oils you are okay. In fact, I believe that he mentions in the book about frying your eggs and after all turkey bacon does give off some grease too. I found that by frying my eggs in 1 TB canola oil it stuck with me longer.

Actually in the book one of the testimonials is from someone who stayed on Phase One longer but I would not expect it to give you much quicker results. Again, I read somewhere else here on one of these other threads that the main objective is: health, losing weight and avoid cravings. Some of us may not be able to eat the full 3/3 carbs/fruits to be able to do that. I think if you are not jeopardizing your health I would proceed but cautiously.

If you ease into Phase Two slowly as recommended where you are only adding in one carb and one fruit the first two weeks you still are eating a very restricted carb food plan. You wouldn't be adding in 2/2 until week 3 and 4 of Phase Two.

I have never noticed any lose of energy during the whole time I was on Phase one nor did I have a headache. Maybe, that is atypical but that was my experience.

Last edited by pamatga; 01-15-2008 at 03:11 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote