General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/170

Height: 65.5 inches

Default Worlds Worst Neighbors

Does anyone have a neighbor that you would sell the house you love to get away from? If so post your stories, heres mine:

It all started two years ago (after the closing of course), I was looking out of my front window and what is on my lawn but two chickens. Yes I said chickens and no I do not live in on or around a farm. It seems that my wonderful neighbors owned two chickens, two cats and two dogs. (in a 660 sf house with 4 adults) I would come home from work and find chicken dropping in front of my door and all over my property. My dh went to them to complain and their reply was I do not believe in caging animals. They allow these animals to walk up and down the street as they please. I called animal control the zoning board the police no one wanted to help this went on for almost a year before she got rid of them.
She still has the two dogs and cats which she continues to let roam the streets knocking over garbages and making a mess and pooping all over everyone elses lawn.
As if that wasn't enough her teenage sons have decided to start a band in a shed in the backyard (so they might as well be playing outside). I am all for children learning to play an instrument but he plays the drums with an amp at least 3-4 times a day for about half an hour each session. I call the police but they don't do anything about it. My friend said I was being a b---- but I had company the other day and she was like I am going to call the police for you...lol. I love my house but I would sell it to get away from them. The only reason I don't is because the town I live in has free preschhol starting at the age of three. I have three year old twins so I am saving at least $1000.00 a month in childcare fees.
tjjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #2  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Yegh!

I used to live in an apartment building for low income families. 99% of them did drugs and would set off the fire alarms all hours of the night. We had freaking prostitutes in the building giving their "John's" a treat in the stairwells (they are always gone before the cops come). Drug dealers had keys to the building (freaky!). The neighbors under me and on one side played music all hours of the night. And the place was completely infested with bugs.

Smells like rotten garbage would waft in from other tenants... I hated it. Yet I lived there 6 years because I couldn't afford anything else.

The company that owns the place did nothing. Police and their dogs were over all the time.

Fire trucks were always there - **** I knew all the guys by name!!!

When I finally made more money and moved out, the people under us started a fire - 1 week after I left! THANK GOD I was not there.

No one was harmed, BUT the apartment below mine and the one I had were unlivable for 6 months.

Then the company tries to pin the freaking bill on ME from fixing up the place from the fire damage in my own unit!.

Baaah!

Last edited by tamaralynn; 12-12-2007 at 06:42 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #3  
Mommy of 6, 4, almost 1!!

S/C/G: 194.6/179.2/155

Height: 5'1"

I've had drugdealer neighbors on both sides of my apartment. Holy Cow... I'm so glad they left. Now I have great neighbors. YAY ....I'm moving into my first house in... 9 days! and I already know the neighbors so I think it will be fine.

Message to previous poster: I think that all cities have free childcare. Are you talking about the Head Start program? My city has several of them. But... my kids stay home with me anyway. I guess I'll have to get over them being away from me by the time kindergarten rolls around. hehe
shoupfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #4  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Alright, I have 3 chapters on my current bad neighbors, but you should take a lesson from my Mom about chickens and noise.

"Not our Chickens"

We had a similar problem living in LA with our neighbors. Now, our neighbors were legal immigrants, but the other 8 people in their house certainly weren't.

Among their many faults, and trust me, they had many, were their chickens which would pass over to our front yard and scratch and poop the $#$% out of everything. When my Mom went next door to confront them they said that they kept their chickens in cages, thus it couldn't be their chickens.

Fine, said my Mom. She came home and told my sister and I to teach our boxer how to catch chickens. That took about two days. The next time that she saw the chickens in our yard she took the boxer out and it was a chicken massacre. It was kind of creepy since the dog would only bite the heads off of the chickens. We counted 7 dead chickens and one that managed to escape to a bush.

When the neighbor came to complain that our dog was eating his chickens my Mom reminded him that his chickens were in cages and that it could not be his chickens.

"Carmen"

I am not a fan of rancheras. Neither are any members of my family. Yet these same neighbors loved to play them all night long. Call the police? The police would only come to our neighborhood after a shooting. This was Inglewood in the 90's, they wouldn't even deliver pizza to our neighborhood.

Anyway, after a particularly bad night, which happened to land on a Wednesday night, my Mom decided on a little revenge. With our help we set up all of the speakers of the house facing our neighbors' house and then, at 6:45 in the morning we put on Bizet's Carmen, the complete work, at full volume. And then we left for work/school.

Surprisingly enough, they got the hint.

I could write volumes on these neighbors!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/170

Height: 65.5 inches

shoup.... I live in a town that is an abbott district that means the kids start school at the age of three, They go all day all year except for one week in August for free. This is until they start kindergarten. I have an almost 4 month old so I would be paying at least $375.00 a week for chilcare if I move.

archy....I think I like your mother...lol. the chicken are gone now but I am going to have to try the music thing. Maybe blast some gospel music.
tjjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

It's not my neighbour, but my best friend's. Her family is very wealthy, though you'd never know it if you met them. When she was 19 her parents bought her a expensive townhouse. Her neighbours are an older retired couple. They obviously resent living next to a young kid.

He wrote a letter to the condo board b/c her running on the treadmill disturbed his wife's afternoon nap. He complianed b/c he can see into her backyard and doesn't like her garden. He called the cops on her b/c one night at 11pm she was speaking in the backyard. It was 4ppl in the backyard having a conversation! He complained about her lawn furniture saying it was an eyesore, it's the same stuff he has just in a different colour! Her dog who's voice box is removed (due to cancer) is too noisy!! He's even had her bf's car towed from the visitor parking b/c it ruins his view. He also called her dad, mind you he's never even met her father, to let him know that she had several guys spend the night at her house and was that the kind of daughter he raised. The man is freaking nuts!

Last edited by shantroy; 12-13-2007 at 11:56 AM.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

When I bought my first house in OK City, I had a horrible time with my neighbors. It was a single mom that had a drug-dealing 20 yr. old son. He fought Pit Bulls for extra cash. He kept these dogs chained up in his backyard along our fence line. My son was 3 yrs. old and everytime he went in our own backyard those dogs would climb the fence, growl and bark like crazy. I had my DH go over to talk to the mom about the problem and she pointed a Gun at him for coming on her property. Finally, I called the cops and made a report. The dogs were driving me nuts and I felt like he would go days without feeding them (to make them meaner I guess). We ended up going to court and getting a court-appointed mediator. She was ordered to replace her fence with a tall wooden fence (not the 4ft. chain link fence that her dogs could easily climb). She never fixed the fence, so I sold that house and moved. This was in the early 1980's and I would think that if this were to happen now, that those people would be hauled off to jail. Of course they denied fighting the dogs, but since he took them somewhere every weekend and they came back all bloody, I knew what was going on.

To top it all off, I now have a beautiful home in a rural area that I've lived in for 8 yrs. I love this home. Just this past summer, my closest neighbor bought a PitBull and doesn't have a fence and let's it roam free. There is no leash-law here. This dog, Bruno, tried to attack my 15 yr. old DD and 15 yr. old SD the other day while they were playing in our yard and being loud. The owner of the dog stepped outside and yelled at our girls to remain perfectly still and quiet while she called off her dog. She told them the dog wouldn't have tried to attack if they hadn't been being loud. WTH, it's our own property. Just yesterday, Bruno, came running and growling at me when I walked outside to get my mail. I'm worried that this is becoming a nightmare neighbor situation all over again.

Please don't read this and think I'm just prejudiced against one certain breed of dogs. I'm a dog lover, but truly afraid of any dog that isn't controlled by their owner and especially ones that are being taught to attack. My biggest fear is that the owner of Bruno, will find that one of her 3 children, ages 7 months, 3 yrs, and 7 yrs. will be attacked by this dog.

Last edited by lilybelle; 12-13-2007 at 12:28 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

I lived in Tracy, CA for 11 years, 2 months. That was roughly 11 years too long. LONG story short, burglary central, 12 burglaries in that time period. I'd get hit, nothing for a year, 15 months. Get hit, get hit, nothing for 2 years. I lived 4 blocks from the police station. I had an alley along one side of the house, and there was about a 4 foot space from my back fence corner to the back neighbors fence. There was a fig tree there. They would sit on milk crates under the fig tree shooting up. The cops told me I had no way of "proving" what they were doing. I could go back there after they left and pick up 10-20 used needles, what else could they be doing?

Came home from visiting an aunt in the hospital, they'd dug up and stolen 4 rose bushes. Cops asked if I could identify them. Are you kidding? Then they came back within a week and stole the hose and sprinkler (couldn't let the bushes die, could they?). Then I found out they'd stolen the replacement bushes I'd ordered that had been delivered to the stupid front door.

Final straw was the last break-in, debris everywhere. Cops aren't coming, they aren't coming. A friend from HS lived in town, she and her husband got to me before the cops did. I called the police back, they told me I'd given them a false address because none of the houses where they were looking were finished yet. I hadn't given them the address, they had it in their system .... and the cop on the phone exploded. The F bomb was flying. My friend's husband would not come in the house, he was afraid while they were in the house their car would get vandalized or burgled. Finally get a cop on site and he stands smack in the middle of my living room, hasn't even looked in the other rooms for losses, and lectures ME on being TOO STUPID FOR WORDS. Don't I realize I'm not wanted there? What will it take for me to wake up and get out? It's not the police's job to protect idiots from themselves, if I don't move I deserve whatever happens and don't expect them to help (like they had so far?). I ended up losing my homeowners insurance and that friend (that was the last time I saw her, it was too much for her husband), and had to get this really expensive, $10K deductable policy for the hard to insure.

I made $35K when I sold the house, in 11 years, 2 months. That friend had lived in town for 3 years, their home had already increased in value approximately $200K. Location is EVERYTHING.

After I moved I found out I didn't "qualify" for homeowners or renters insurance. Still don't. It's a weird catch-22. At first I was an "extreme risk" and had to wait x years to become a "good risk" again. Called after y years (just to be sure) and apparently now I'm an "extreme risk" because I chose to stay uninsured for a year. I might be withholding information so I can hit them with multiple claims as soon as I'm insured again. Try winning that argument!
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #9  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

* DID YOU SAY NEIGHBOURS FROM **** ~ LOL???

~ I think that we all have had neighbours like this; I think that mine have run the gammut: almost a bit of everything you have said so far. Some people are bored, some are control freaks, and some just like attention: often, the best thing to do is just ignore them, if you can! Sometimes, you may have to move to keep your family safe. Thankfully, we have had some great neighbours too, which evens things out a bit.

SHANTROY ~ that story is too funny; but sounds like something that happened to my sister and I when we were younger, only it was a very insecure woman, who was afraid her hubby might get interested in the pretty girls who lived above her; the landlord did put an end to the harrassement, but we eventually moved to a quieter place.

KAPPY ~ try another insurance company; if they say no, keep trying different ones, becuz eventually you will find one that IS interested in getting your $ business $ ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I lived in government housing for a short time...VERY short time. I wanted out of there so bad. But I was taking classes working towards that goal. I got home from school one day and all the neighbors were standing outside and said we couldn't go in. Great. 8 hours of classes and I can't enter my home???? Why? Because 3 of the numbskulls, against the housing policy, set off roach bombs. And flooded the rest of the apts. with all the roaches. The exterminator was cleaning up the mess.

And my grandparents. When they moved into their home, the neighbors took a dislike to them. NO ONE has ever not liked my grandparents except this bitter old man they moved in next to. I think it was because they had so many kids who would visit and park on the street, taking up space on the street and this guy thought it was his personal street. So he did a lot of things really hateful. One was to throw beer cans over his fence into my Christian grandparents' yard. Finally he decided he couldn't run them off so HE moved out. Their new neighbors were there for years and loved them.

And I know that this is the total opposite, but I just gotta put in a plug for my current neighbors. Bought our house 1 yr. and 1 month ago. My neighbors have brought me their grandkids' clothes for my son, helped me build a side yard fence, dig holes, loaned me ladders, everything imagineable. They are a God send.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Dog Roaming Your Yard?: Here is what I did (very naughty). We have a pretty large front lawn because we are the house at the end of the cul de sac. Finding dog crap on our lawn really drove my DH nuts. Always right next to the mailbox or on the side of the driveway so it was easy to step in. He started checking for it when he left for work each morning and determined this was happening very early each morning. Probably before 6 a.m. We bought one of those air horns (compressed air in a can) and lay in wait behind the plantation planters in the front room with the window open a couple of inches. It only took a couple of days. We waited until the dog was mid squat with the owner a few feet away looking at the sky like, "Oh, My dog is taking a dump? I didn't notice until it was too late". We did a short blast on the horn. The guy jumped a mile and the dog leaped into the air and took off running.
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #12  
Karen - Black Team

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Smile

stayincalm I love your solution!

I have two dogs and always take plastic bags with me when I take them for a walk so I can pick up their business.

Many people in this world have forgotten about respect. What a sad, sad thing.
cuteladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayincalm View Post
Dog Roaming Your Yard?: Here is what I did (very naughty). We have a pretty large front lawn because we are the house at the end of the cul de sac. Finding dog crap on our lawn really drove my DH nuts. Always right next to the mailbox or on the side of the driveway so it was easy to step in. He started checking for it when he left for work each morning and determined this was happening very early each morning. Probably before 6 a.m. We bought one of those air horns (compressed air in a can) and lay in wait behind the plantation planters in the front room with the window open a couple of inches. It only took a couple of days. We waited until the dog was mid squat with the owner a few feet away looking at the sky like, "Oh, My dog is taking a dump? I didn't notice until it was too late". We did a short blast on the horn. The guy jumped a mile and the dog leaped into the air and took off running.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Thanks guys! Now I don't feel so bad about it anymore. My DH and I started referring to ourselves as dog monitoring sociopaths.
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I don't have any bad stories, but I used to live upstairs from a guy who used to play the violin (VERY good). He'd play it late at night while I was going to sleep. I thought about not moving because of that -- I miss it now. Now I hear a bunch of barking dogs (luckily rarely at night) because I moved into one of the few apartment complexes in the county that allow big dogs (they have their own dog park too). BUT -- if they don't pick up after their dogs, residents can turn them in for a $100 reward and they get threatened with eviction. So there are no dog poop problems at all.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote