Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Talking What, punk and goth people aren't supposed to be fit?!

I live in a college town and often use the university gym, as I know the pass code to get in (I don't go to UF and never did, but my GF - who never even used the gym - gave me the pass code). Whenever I go to work out, I see the typical fraternity/sorority/mainstream sports-y types there, and they all give me strange looks upon entering.

I have several visible piercings, have spikey/fauxhawked black hair (usually it's dark when I'm not lazy), and even my workout clothes are black, because it's just the color I think I look best in. I definitely tend to stand out in that environment... and I think those frat rats just somehow think that since those with an "alternative" image are stereotypically against everything mainstream, fitness must be something we hate, too (even though I actually look more "fit" than a majority of them )

Does anyone else get strange looks at the gym?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:54 PM   #2  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I haven't posted on this board before so hello everyone!

OMG, I totally get the same looks from people. I have black messy hair and several visible piercings and, like you, wear black a lot (it's the most flattering colour).
At first I thought that I was getting these looks from people thinking "what a fatty" but no, some larger people give me the same looks too! I guess it's what you say, people who look slightly alternative aren't "supposed" to be into health and fitness!
It's crazy, it makes me chuckle.
I guess I can't speak for everyone, but I know that some people find my piercings and crazy hair a bit intimidating so perhaps that's also part of it. They don't realise that we are all lovely people!

Last edited by Jadeybaby; 11-25-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: typos! oops
Old 11-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I have also had weird looks from people at the gym I went to for about 3 months (trial period - found out that I am not a gym person) - they were all business people and government workers and me and my DH looked out of place to them.

Ah well, who cares as long as we are looking after ourselves right?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #4  

Haha Jadeybaby, when I first started working out, I thought maybe those frat rat types were giving me strange looks thinking, "WOW, what a COW! "
I've hardly seen any "larger" people at my gym - there are a few that are "borderline chunky" but most are either thin, fit, or average (whatever that means, anyway!)

mauvaisroux -
"Ah well, who cares as long as we are looking after ourselves right?"
Agreed. I don't mind the stares... they just amuse me!
I don't mind going to the gym... it has the elliptical, which is pretty much the magical calorie burner. It also has a lot more weights than I have at home, so it's worth a go for me. I could do without most of the people, though, and realllllyyyy like going there when it's relatively empty I used to feel self conscious about all those thin/fit/not-too-fat people seeing my fat arse jiggle on the cardio machines, and I still have some of that phobia even though I'm not fat anymore... just like I used to sometimes walk in reluctantly, as if I didn't belong with all those athletic people, just to find out that I spend more time at the gym than they do

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 11-26-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #5  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

I did a trial period as well and found out the gym wasn't for me. You would think no one had ever seen tattoos before. I am much happier with my three cats staring at me like I am crazy, than I am with a bunch of soccer moms staring at me like I am crazy. I took it to da house!

I think the idea of opening up an "alternative gym" is a goldmine.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #6  

HEHEHE Ollie, I wouldn't mind cats staring at me, either! I have a little dog who gives me the most baffled looks every time I work out at home,and then if I don't give him attention, he barks at me. I love him!

An alternative gym would be BRILLIANT! We should all get together and start a franchise
Old 11-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Honestly - if one more person asks me what the symbol on my left shoulder blade means I'll SCREAM! (it means Slave BTW )I'm not a gym goer either.. I feel too self conscious and it's not because I'm the biggest girl there - but if you're over #150 and wear a tank top be prepared to have not-so-nice comments... and the fact that I have piercings and tattoos Oh my word - you'd think I started the Apocolypse!

Gotta love the ultra-conservative mid-west!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Enygirl - starting the Apocalypse - Maybe you can tell them you are training to get in shape to ride with the 4 Horsemen!

My cat won't leave me alone when I am doing my yoga DVD When I am lying in resting pose with my eyes closed I will suddenly feel her nose on my eyelid or she licks my nose - what is up with that? Maybe she is checking to make sure I'm not dead or sleeping?

An Alternative Gym would be great! We could all wear our black gear, sport tattoos and piercings and listen to whatever we like to work out to!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvaisroux View Post
and listen to whatever we like to work out to!
Just a change in music alone would help out. Pardon me 24/hr Fitness, but R.Kelley never has, nor ever will, get me pumped up on the treadmill.

I don't get too many looks at the gym beyond people being a little shocked to see a fat girl running. I have a more difficult time at places like the grocery or say, Target.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #10  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

I'd take R Kelley anyday over the crap that was blasting at the gym I tried:

Fox News on TV screens in every corner. Eww.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #11  

Ahh.. to enjoy working out in ym own home.. I gotta say I love it! Here's a random question... Are there any runner/speed walkers in here? I told a dear friend of my who is a competitive speed walker that I'd do the 5k that she's putting on in January. It's called the Frozen Blueberry (the Cuty itself is known for it's blueberry festival in the early fall). She suckered me in after I told her I should get a free t-shirt for doing the logo. How does one prepare for that?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 10"

Ooh oh! I'm a runner! Try this link to help you train. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...1703-0,00.htmlThe entire website is wonderful. Also, I think there is a Couch-to-5k program floating around somewhere, I'll keep my eyes peeled. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:23 AM   #13  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

Har har, in my little town people stare EVERYWHERE. Especially gym, heh. I use to have a davey havok replica hairdo and snakie bites and eyes bulged at the sight of me working out. Am I the only one who kinda likes the attention though? >_<
Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

I just have to say that were there an "Alternagym" I'd be all about it. *envisioning it now* :bliss:
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #15  

Thanks for the link Faerie! I've been looking for a 5K training program. I promised my friend that I'd go to the 5K she's putting together in January... it's th Frozen Blueberry 5K... check out www.blueberryrace.com and you'll see my creative mind at work. I designed the logo.

Last edited by Enygirl; 11-29-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Closed Thread