Old 10-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Roasted Vegetable Soup

Here is a recipe from Dr. Andrew Weil
It is delicious
Roasted Vegetable Soup

Description
This delicious, vegetable-filled broth can be served by itself or used as a base for other soups. This recipe oven-roasts the vegetables before adding to the soup liquid, enhancing their flavor. The aroma of the roasted vegetables will evoke memories of old-fashioned, home-style meals. It's comfort food at its finest.

Ingredients
3 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
extra-virgin olive oil spray
8 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups water
1/4 cup mushroom pieces
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt, and black or red pepper to taste

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place the carrots, celery and onion in a small (8x8-inch) nonstick pan or dish with the olive oil. Toss to coat the vegetables. Bake for 10 minutes.

2. Remove pan from oven, add the garlic, and toss again. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are browned.

3. Remove pan from oven, add 1 cup of water and stir to loosen any vegetables that may be stuck. Pour this into a pot with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.

4. Season to taste with salt, and black or red pepper, and serve or use as the base for other soups, stews or pasta dishes.

Note: In addition, I blanched 4 roma tomatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes while the other vegetables were in the oven. Then I pulsed the tomatoes in my bullet. I added the tomatoes to roasted vegetable water mixture at stage 3 above. I also added a basil leaf for additional flavor.
I measured my serving of vegetables and then added additional broth.

1/2 cup of cooked vegetables equals 1 V

To serve this as your main dish, weigh your desired already cooked protein (chicken, turkey, beef) and add it to your bowl with your vegetable soup mixture.

week 39
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 48 lbs.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207.6/196.6/145

Sounds great! Thanks!
Kim0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #3  
ViolinCyndee

Looks yummy!