Old 10-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Default Absorbing stress

I'm having one of those days where I'm absorbing other people's stress around me. Now, I'm stressed. And, because I'm stressed I can feel the food urge coming on. I've been wearing my headphones while I work to tune everyone else out but my stressful thoughts are swirling around in my mind and I'm doing a pretty good job of maintaining this stress. I'm worried that I will give in later on and regret it later.

One obstacle... a baby shower @ work this afternoon. I know I'm going to want to eat cake but I'm worried that I'll want to eat all of it.

How do you find willpower when you are in a state of stress?
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #2  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I guess it depends on what kinda of health plan you are on, but you could allow yourself a small piece of cake. If count calories then budget into your daily calories. However, if you are like me then it takes a ton of willpower to just stop at one. Perhaps sip on a drink or nibble on a healthier snack if it is available. THIS TOO SHALL PASS!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzchiki View Post
How do you find willpower when you are in a state of stress?
I have to say that this has been the most difficult thing for me throughout my weight loss journey. For me, the answer is "it depends." Sometimes when I'm really stressed, I don't eat, which, frankly, I much prefer to what I do when I'm moderately stressed. Food is still something I turn to as a source of comfort, unfortunately. Sometimes I have the willpower to do something besides eat and sometimes I don't. But what I will do is forgive myself for any indiscretion and get right back on plan.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I handle stress differently at different times.

Sometimes, I actually gain strength and comfort when I stay strictly on plan during stressful times. Being super strict and keeping my eating in check makes me feel like I have control over SOMETHING. It actually takes my mind off of the thing that's causing me stress. I like when this option surfaces.

Other times, I still need to eat. But, and it's a big one - it can be something totally healthy, like cucumber salad or a romaine lettuce salad, a bunch of raw green beans or a SF ices.

Other times I will distract myself with the usual stuff - housework, exercise, reading, the computer.

I've also gotten into the habit of asking myself, is it really worth it? Which do I want more, the cake or whatever, or to have a good weigh in come Monday morning.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I hear ya. I was under stress today too.

I find that the best way to stop myself from overeating when I know I'm under stress and "weak" is to avoid avoid avoid. If I can, I avoid the event. If I can't, I keep myself busy and away from the tempting food (knowing that once I start, I won't want to stop).

If it's bad, I'll myself I can have a little something, but only at the end of the event, or when the food is almost gone. Sometimes when I do that, the food actually disappears or is eaten before I get around to it...

You do what you have to.

And, if you do overeat, you have to buckle down right after that!

Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Stress is a tough one. It's so easy to give into poor eating when we're stressed. And then that only adds on more stress! Ack! Bad cycle!

Is there anyway you could eat something before the shower so that you are satisfied enough that you can just say no to everything there? (And have a great excuse, "Oh I just ate, forgot there was going to be food here.") If it's just the cake, and you're the type of person who can say "Just one very small sliver of cake for me, please." then go for it! If you can't say that and stick with it, then I suggest "No, thank you." (A very useful phrase indeed!)

Hope all goes well!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote