General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Digital cameras...

I am partial to Canon cameras so I am looking at the Canon SD870.

Does anyone have any recommendations on digital cameras that they like? I have a canon but it is pretty bulky so I'm looking for something a bit smaller although not necessarily tiny.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #2  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

The current issue of Photography magazine has a neat comparison of 3 cameras. I'm not sure which Canon is in it. You can probably read it at a library.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I am in love with the new Sony Cybershot, I had a chance to demo it recently. It has a touch screen, so you can touch the screen to get the camera to focus exactly where you want. It has anti-shake technology too, which is awesome for me, since I always seem to take blurry pics. And it comes in pink and has "smile recognition" (takes pictures when it recognizes faces smiling!)

<3 I want one so bad!!

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665199977

(comes in other colors besides pink, just in case)

Last edited by Glory87; 10-17-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have friends who swear by the Canon Rebel, but it's rather large and cumbersome.

I had a Canon Powershot 350, but DD decided she needed it more than me.

I ran out and bought a Casio EXILIM. Wow! I love how incredibly easy it was to learn how to use it! The Canon took a bit more time to learn. And it is so tiny with a big screen. I bought a 4 gig memory card and have even recorded up to 20 minutes of video on it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

My little camera chews through batteries. I had to go and get a recharger. I carry it with me whenever I have my camera because it drains so quickly.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

OK, my two cents. I love my Olympus, but it is big, and bulky - though it takes GREAT pictures. I recently decided that I needed a "travel" camera. Something that was water-resistant, good pixel quality, completely digital, could take stills or movies, and wasn't too expensive. After much research, I bought the Sanyo xacti ca6. I absolutely love it. I bought two batteries for it, since they are proprietary, and took shots all day long on our vacation. I never ran out of battery life. It went hiking, took pictures from under waterfalls and in the rain. I fried my first Olympus taking pictures at Niagara falls, so the water-resistance issue is a big deal to me. (they have a waterproof model too for those that are in to water sports).
I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I can't say enough good about it.
Here is a link to some of the pics we took on vacation with it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1094953...7602483331261/
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I you are into macro photography or anything with great detail, the Canon Rebel is one of the best..IMHO. If you're just taking snapshots, then the Kodak Easy share cameras are truly "easy."
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #8  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I love my Olympus "CAMEDIA" C-60 w/Zoom
the pictures are basically professional quality, in fact I have had it for just over 2 years and have only taken my kids in for professional pictures like 2 times (one family and once for my then 9 month old) all the christmas pics for cards ect...we take with this cam. It was like $196
We even use it at my work to take pictures of our inventory, it is that nice....when I started my boss asked me if I had one and I said yes b/c his was old and crappy, so ever since then I take all the pics..lol

Last edited by StillTryin; 10-18-2007 at 11:55 AM.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #9  
I restore Teeth.

I sold Cameras before- Here's what I've noted on many sales of cameras, used and new-

If you looking for professional quality- Optical zoom, shutter and ISO speeds and focal lens and adjustable aperture ranges are your concern. Megapixels actually mean nothing these days. Anything beyond 3 megapixels will not increase the actual optical resolution of the picture; they will only ENLARGE the picture. Pixels are fixed units, so beyond a certain point, the resolution can only be so clean. You also want to make sure your flash attachment is fine.

If you are looking for automatic point and shoots, easy to use- any digtal camera these days will do. They come with multiple settings and pre-adjusted as well as manual.

If you want top of the line QUALITY with HIGH MARKET RETENTION VALUE, get a CANON or NIKON. These are the best producers of QUALITY, value retaining cameras. The Canon REBEL is big, and NOT for everyone. Those are for Amatuer professionals, and are NOT as easy to use as "point and shoot" cameras. They don't have excellent automatic capabilities.

If you are depending on the automatic functions and easier, user-friendly (non-professional) cameras, I would still recommend CANON cameras, just not the high priced ones- the powershot series are VERY dependable. The S3/I3 series (roughly $300-400) have a great automatic function and is one of the few automatic cameras that have SLR character- the lenses can be switched. My sister owns the s5, which is slightly more advanced (about $700 USD)

If you are looking for TINY cameras, there are MANY tiny ones to choose from , but non of which will compare to profesisonal top of the line cameras.

Last edited by veggielover; 10-18-2007 at 06:43 PM.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #10  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

I got the Canon SD600 last year for Christmas... I believe it is the older version of the camera you are looking at.

I LOOOVE it. It is small, easy to use, and has more features than I need. All I need is a nice, simple point and shoot. I let my husband use the big Canon, pro camera. I can also go a long time without charging the battery. Not that I take tons of shots, but it's been more than a month since I charged mine.

HTH!
NewDay4MeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Although I do love the idea of SLR cameras, I did end up going with the Canon SD 870. It is a really nice camera and a big improvement over my Canon S45. I think I am in love with my camera
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote