Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #1  
DJ

Default Why do JC or Nutrisystems when you could go to the store and buy Lean Cuisine, etc?

I have been seeing a lot of adds for Medifast and I was a second away from ordering but then I decided to check here. The taste does concern me so now I am thinking I am not going to go that route. I really wonder why people would do something like JC or Nutrisystems when you could just go to the store and by WW, Lean Cusine, or Healthy Choice and do your own plan. My gf who has a lot to loose has been on WW and mostly eats the prepacked meals, usually cereal and then three meals after that, she can usually stay pretty close to 1,000 calories

has anyone tried Seattle Sutten I see a lot of

Last edited by DJ; 10-08-2007 at 03:28 PM.
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ View Post
I really wonder why people would do something like JC or Nutrisystems when you could just go to the store and by WW, Lean Cusine, or Healthy Choice and do your own plan.
There are some important differences with Jenny Craig vs doing your own plan with WW or Lean Cuisines: the taste of the food is far better, with lower sodium; the one on one support you get from a JC consultant is extremely important; and the program is very structured.

That being said: I know the price of the program can put people off from trying it. And some would say the price of the food is pretty high. For me, I figured how much I spent on eating out per week, and I am coming out AHEAD with JC!

So I guess the bottom line is: Do what you feel is the best plan for you.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #3  
it's always something

We did a survey a couple of years ago and one of the members explained why she did better with Jenny Craig than supermarket frozen dinners. Imagine you are on a deserted island, and you get a food drop once a week. You are going to ration it out over the course of the week, you won't sneak and eat more than you should on any given day. However, if you are using Lean Cuisine or other supermarket foods, it might be easier to give in and eat more than you should, because you can drive down the road and replenish your supply.

Everyone may not feel that way, but her reasoning seemed to make sense.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I think it depends on how much control a person wants over what they eat.

I have eaten some of the JC foods. Lean cuisines taste 1000% better to me. I like to add the veggies and fruits and dairy I like. I love them for when the family is eating something I don't like, or has to much fat to fit into what I allow myself for the day. The sodium count even if I eat 2 or 3 of them a day is below the 2400 the doc said I can have.

Some people on the other hand need someone else to have control over what they eat. It is very important they they are told exactly what they need to eat and portions are always pre set for them.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either way. People have to choose what is best for them.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-09-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/285/150

Height: 5'9''

All the sodium would scare me in those frozen dinners!
suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/205/175

Height: 5'11"

Personally, I've gone the LC route, mostly for lunch, or when I really don't want to eat what my family is having.

I wouldn't mind using one of the other systems, but the cost just keeps me away. So, I'm just pluggin away myself. Although, I do spend money on a personal trainer 2x a week. To me that is so worth it.
hotmama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've been on Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating a couple times. The food is fresh, low in fat and lower in sodium, and decent. It tastes and is real food, but really boring real food. I like food with a lot more flavor, but I know they're trying to make food that is appealing to a wide variety of tastes. I think they do a good job of making food that is likeable, just not loveable (unless you find mild paprika and a little black pepper "spicy").
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

The good thing about Jenny entrees is you can volumize them or "pimp them up" by adding loads of veggies, spices and some other things that are allowable within the program. For instance, last night I added lots of broccoli to the Chicken Fettuccini dish and it really filled me!

JC has made a whole "cookbook" on how to pimp up the entrees and stay within the program. This really helps when I start to feel "bored" with the food (which actually has not happened yet!).

I'm one of those people that needs "someone" to tell me what to eat. I need the structure of the program at this point in my weight loss. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #9  

The idea of having someone else figure out what you should eat, how much, and when is very appealing to those of us who realize we have a problem with food. I can see why some people go that way.

I did JC for a week. Well, less that that, actually. I made it about two meals before I started gettting upset that I was paying so much more for the food than I would with standard diet choices from the supermarket, choices that tasted just as good or better. Two days before I got totally disgusted with myself for paying into it and quitting altogether.

I just don't have the personality type that will allow me to do a program like this. Many do, however, and do well with them.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #10  
For my HEALTH...

Yes,at first I was feeling bad because I was saying to myself, wow it would be so much CHEAPER to just go to a store and buy a bunch of Lean Cuisines.

But then I reminded myself that If I just brought a bunch of Lean Cuisines, there is nobody who is helping me to plan my entire day of eating.
Nobody from Lean Cuisine weighs me each week. Nobody from Lean Cuisine calls me each week. Nobody from Lean Cuisine says "hey your face looks thinner now--keep going".

With Lean Cuisine, I am not being held accountable. Nobody will ask me "why didn't you come and get weighed last week, can I help you with something?". I cannot go anywhere to talk to a consultant one-on-one who gives me new ideas and encouragement each week.

So I am cutting back on spending money on other things, and putting my money (and my mouth ;-) ) here for now. I don't buy expensive clothes or shoes. I drive an economy car. I save money in other areas, so I can spend extra on my health.

I always remind myself that yes I pay more than the supermarket, but I also get many services that go along with the food that I don't get from the supermarket.

The breakfasts (especially the cereals) do seem very expensive to me, so I buy most of my breakfasts and snacks in the supermarket and buy my lunch and dinners from Jenny. I do love the Jenny Sunshine Sandwich (along the lines of an Egg McMuffin) -so I usually buy a couple of those a week as a treat for my breakfast.

I was very surprised about the Jenny foods. I thought I would not like them, but I wanted the services that go along with the food. What a pleasant surprise when I realized I really enjoy the food ( with a few exceptions -that I no longer purchase). I especially love the frozen foods. They have quite a few things to choose from and they usually bring out some new things each month.

My consultant is so dedicated to the program that she just got back from a 2 week cruise and believe it or not she lost a pound those 2 weeks! Imagine losing weight on a cruise !

I agree 100% that if you are someone who can stick to the straight and narrow all by yourself then by all means stick with the Lean Cuisines, but if you need some help (like I do) you might have to find another route other than just Lean Cuisine.

Last edited by POOKIE88; 10-29-2007 at 02:25 AM.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #11  
Shairing her ESH...

Amen, Sistah Pookie!! Thank you for so eloquently saying what I couldn't!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #12  

For me it is all about stress management, I over analyze what I'm eating when I'm doing it on my own so what I'm paying for is someone else to do the thinking so I don't have to. I know I'm eating balanced meals without having to put any thought into it. I am so burned out on thinking about what I can and cannot have that it is a stress release to let someone else do that for me.

When I was doing JC I was impressed with the food, it was much better then the grocery store frozen foods, typically more protein and not as many fillers such as gravy.

I’m currently doing NS because it works out to be less expensive for me and I like having the food delivered and not having to go anyplace to talk to my counselor, everything is done online.

They are both very good programs, as is Weight Watchers and many more. It is just a matter of finding what works for you personally.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #13  
I Called Jenny

S/C/G: 264.9/253.5/179

Thanks Pookie and Evangeline for expressing exactly why I went into Jenny Craig yesterday and started the program today!
mschelle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #14  
For my HEALTH...

Default Good Luck Chelle

Good Luck on the program Chelle.

Hi Evangeline, Glad to see you are still doing well on NS.

Hi Jen - hope you are well.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #15  
Writing my success story

I tried JC years ago. I bought about a weeks worth of food and LOVED the food. I quit the following week because I just couldn't afford it. Now, with a busy schedule, I'd still love to do the JC plan. But it's just too expensive for a student. I'm going to talk to a nutritionist and ask her about doing a similar plan with Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones, which I love. I'm concerned about the sodium, but I don't have time to cook and if I can just get some portion control and get even 20 lbs off, I'll be a happy girl.
allabouttheskinny is offline   Reply With Quote