General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Exclamation What are you reading? II

The last time I posted to the last "What are you reading" thread I started, I was on Three Bags Full, but it turned out I didn't care for it, so I gave up and read the last 4 Harry Potters back to back to back to back. After that, I read The Devil in the Junior League (cute chick-lit about a very proper Texas socialite left on her uppers by a cheating husband, trying to make a lady of a tacky nouveau-riche neighbor) and Vivaldi's Virgins (about the orphanage in 18th-century Venice where Vivaldi was the music master: to me felt sort of like a young-adult novel and I'm no longer that young an adult ). Now I'm on Steve Berry's The Alexandria Link (a thriller in the Da Vinci Code mold about a spy-turned-rare-book-expert tracking down remnants of the great Library of Alexandria, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world).

You?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

After Harry Potter I read two books by Anthony Bourdain - A Cooks Tour and Kitchen Confidential - honestly I didn't finish either one of them. I enjoy him and all - but they were a bit much I guess. Then I read two Amy Tan books - The Kitchen God's Wife and the Joy Luck Club - they both blew me away. She is amazing and I loved them both.

I decided to read the entire Ender's Game series - both sides of it. I'm finished with Ender's Game and am working on Ender's Shadow. They are re-reads for me - and favorites so I am enjoying them very much. After the Shadow series I'm going to read the Speaker series...
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Tonight I'm going to start on the Love Comes Softly series by Janette Oke. I received all eight books and the first four dvds for my birthday and I haven't even looked at them yet. The series is a re-read for me, but I remember them being great books.

After finishing that, I'm going to start from page one of the Harry Potter series. My sister wants to borrow all of them, but I just can't bear to let them go without reading them one more time.

Finally, after all of that, I'm going to pick The Tale of Genji by by Murasaki Shikibu back up and try reading it again. It may take me a year, but I'm going to finish that book! I've loved what I've read so far, but I just hate having to read all the footnotes for things lost in the translation.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #4  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

Kim, I read that series a few years ago. I loved them!

Harry Potter was very good in books 1-3, then she begane to decline. I can't even remember what happend in 6 and I have not bothered to read 7. She failed as a writer in my opinion.

I am currently reading No Plot, No Problem but Chris Baty (the creator of Nation Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWrMo). I read it every year about this time to get ready for November.

Next, I am going to be reading The Marshall Plan for Writing by Evan Marshall.

Yeah, I know, I am boring. << I love that little guy!

Last edited by Kati; 09-26-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm currently reading The Blind Assassin by Margret Atwood after having just finished Water for Elephants (great book). I've recently finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter and Lost and Found.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

Fiction: I've just started "Empire Falls", and have "One Mississippi" in the queue. I also have "The Kite Runner" on audiobook, but I haven't started it yet.

Non-fiction: "America: The Book" by Jon Stewart (on audiobook), "Radical Simplicity", "The European Dream", and I take peeks at others related to health that I've read in the past: "French Women Don't Get Fat" and the "Superfoods" books.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #7  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Two textbooks; one on selling and the other on accounting. Riveting stuff!!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

I'm not a reader, but I recently picked up a weekend gig as hostess for a banquet hall. Basically I sit at a big fancy desk in a big fancy lobby and say hello and goodbye to party guests (we are strictly parties, no restaurant) and for some reason, get paid a buttload to do it, LOL. Anyway, one of the other employees gave me the Da Vinci Code, a book I would have NEVER picked up on my own depsite hearing the rave reviews, but I'm at chapter 35 and I can't WAIT to go to work on Saturday to start it up again!
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I'm reading What to Eat by Marion Nestle for my non-fiction. I'm reading Between a Wok and a Hard Place by Tamar Myers for my fun light reading.

Last edited by jtammy; 09-26-2007 at 05:23 PM.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

jtammy, I love Marion Nestle! I got "What to Eat" from the library once, but I'd just finished reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and I was kind of burnt out on that topic, so I just skimmed it. I'm going to revisit it again sometime soon.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #11  
Gonna Be Gorgeous!

French Women Don't Get Fat.

Does anyone remember the "Flowers in the Attic" books? I read those when I was very young and LOVED them.
GeorgiePorgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Skinny rhymes with Witch...have to watch my p's & q's.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #13  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

GeorgiePorgie, My BFF in high school read them, she loved anything by V C Andrews. I never got interested in them though.

Phantastica, I'm really enjoying Marion Nestle's book, but it's a slow read. I've been working on it for several weeks now and still like a 1/4 of the book or more. After I've taken a break from nutritious reading, I would like to read The Omnivore's Dilemna. It sounds quite interesting.

Does anyone else find that as you have lost weight and started moving more, you don't have as much free time to read? I have always loved to read, and at my highest weight, I was reading a book every 2 -3 days. Now it takes considerably longer. The one downside of weight loss, I guess.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

Besides my algebra book for school...

"Marley and Me" when I have the time! It's very touching so far...
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Los Angeles Times Sports page
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote