Old 09-25-2007, 02:41 AM   #1  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Ouchie! Sprained Ankle

I think I need to vent more than anything, so bear with me. I sprained my ankle pretty badly tonight while playing volleyball. Grrrr!! I've been exercising very faithfully since I started in January and I hate, hate, hate having to take time off from that. It'll probably be about a week before I can do anything high impact. Unfortunately, that pretty much describes all of my exercise... I run, do step aerobics, play volleyball. I also rock climb, which I can't safely do with a cranked ankle. (Especially the hikes in and out of the climbing sites.)

I've got the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) going on and I'm going to stay off of it almost completely for 24 hours. Hopefully I can start walking on Wednesday. This is the worst sprain I've ever had, and I've had some doozies before.

I'm just frustrated. My DH is trying to be helpful but "well, you can't be athletic and not expect to get hurt sometimes" isn't exactly what I wanted to hear. "Poor baby, I'll get you some more ice and another pillow" would have been better.

Ok, pity party over. I'm going to get healed up and get back to it. I just needed a moment to complain about this.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Oh - I've so been there & feel your pain. I have very weakened ankles (from the position I was in the womb all the ligaments are too long) & it is SO frustrating.

Try getting into the pool - the water supports your ankle & you can focus on your upper body letting your legs just follow along. Mixing it up some might be a good break anyway.

Once it's better if you're concerned about reinjuring try getting in some skating. Because of the constant stabilization needed it really helps strengthen the ankles.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

So sorry to hear about that, Gale. Injury is one of my worst fears. Husbands can be way too practical, too, eh? I've started telling my husband, "Nope. That wasn't what I needed to hear. Try saying this."

The water is a good idea, if that's available to you. Hopefully, the ankle will heal soon. You're soclose to Onederland!!!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Those men--ya gotta train them properly!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote