General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #1  

Default I feel dumb...

My husband was changing his oil yesterday, and somehow managed to get the back of his head covered in oil. Covered doesn't even explain it. It was like he had a pool of oil and dunked his entire head in it. We spent about 2 hours getting it out. It was also in his clothes. And now, because I didn't think to sniff all this clothes first, I threw them all in the washer. Upon pulling them out, I realized ALL the clothes in the load smelled like oil. So I washed them again. And again. And the smell is less, but still there. Am I just SOL, or is there some way to reverse this? What can I do to get the oil / smell of oil out of our clothes?
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

You can pour a can of Coke in the washer with the clothes and wash them again.. I'll bet they will be all better then!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #3  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I'd suggest washing them with white vinegar.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #4  
fatIam

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Karen. My husband use to be a logger and the only thing that would help his cloths was a can coke in the washer .
fluffybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #5  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Makes you wonder what a can of Coke does for your BODY!!

Kathy Bahr
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #6  
want2bTrue

S/C/G: 178/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbahr View Post
Makes you wonder what a can of Coke does for your BODY!!

Kathy Bahr
omg sooo true!!! Just what DOES coke do to our body? Our bodies are such valiant fighters and protectors, we may never know. Unless a scientist comes along and tells us. But, wow, Coke cleans pennies, too, right? Does that mean it cleans our system out? Naw, I wish!
want2btrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #7  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

Teeehee I use Coke to get fifth wheel grease out of my clothes.

and

Coke syrup is an acid you must have a hazmat in order to haul it as cargo in a commercial vehicle.

Coke anyone? Num
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #8  

Coca-Cola®

Clean a toilet bowl. Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl. Let the real thing sit for one hour, then brush and flush clean. The phosphoric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china, according to household-hints columnist Heloise.

Remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers. Rubbing the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola will help remove rust spots, according to household-hints columnist Mary Ellen.

Clean corrosion from car battery terminals. Pour a can of carbonated Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion, according to Heloise.

Cook with Coca-Cola. The Coca-Cola Consumer Information Center offers a free packet of recipes including a Mustard Herb Dressing (an Italian style salad dressing made with one-half cup of Coca-Cola), a Twin Cheese Dip (requiring three-quarter cup of Coca-Cola and doubling as a sandwich filling), and Sweet-Sour Cabbage (using one-half cup of Coca-Cola and two tablespoons of bacon drippings).

Loosen a rusted bolt. Mary Ellen suggests applying a cloth soaked in a carbonated soda to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

Bake a moist ham. Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

Remove grease from clothes. Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy work clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular wash cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains, according to Mary Ellen.

Clean rust in a bathtub. Saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca-Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the Coke removes rust.

Clean milk stains from clothes. Saturate the milk stains with a can of Coca-Cola, let the garment sit for five minutes, then launder in your regular wash.

Make barbecue sauce. Make an excellent barbecue sauce by mixing Coca-Cola with Heinz Ketchup. Brush the mixture on chicken or ribs while grilling.

Prevent an asthma attack. If you feel the onset of an asthma attack, drink two cans of Coke. The caffeine in Coke can help thwart an asthma attack, according to the book Home Remedies from the Country Doctor.

Relieve constipation. Drinking a can of the real thing can have a laxative result.

Prevent diarrhea. When traveling through developing countries where the risk of getting diarrhea is high, drinking Coca-Cola helps minimize your chances of getting the trots, according to The Doctor’s Book of Home Remedies. The acids in Coca Cola help reduce the amount of E. Coli bacteria in your intestines, inhibiting the production of toxins that would otherwise prevent your intestines from absorbing water.

Condition hair. To give your hair a great shine, pour a can of Coca Cola into your hair, working it in well, then rinse your hair with water.

Fertilize azaleas or gardenias. Watering azaleas or gardenias with Classic Coke increases the acidity in the soil, which azaleas love, and boosts plant performance. The sugar in the Coke feeds microorganisms in the soil, increasing the organic matter in the soil.

Clean eyeglasses. The phosphoric acid cleans the grunge from eyeglasses, then rinse with water.

Clean tarnished pennies. Fill a drinking glass with Coca-Cola and drop in the pennies. Let sit for one hour, then wipe clean with a soft cloth.

Strip paint off metal patio furniture. Cover the spot you wish to strip for one week with a bath towel saturated with Coca-Cola. Add more Coke every day to keep the towel wet. The paint strips right off.

Get rid of fruit flies. Use an electric drill with a one-quarter-inch bit to drill a hole in the cap of a two liter Coke bottle. Leave one inch of Classic Coke (not diet or caffeine-free) in the bottom of the bottle, and set outside. Fruit flies will crawl into the bottle to enjoy the Real Thing, but won’t be able to get back out.

Boost a compost bin. Pouring flat Coca-Cola into the compost pile helps jump start the microorganisms. The Real Thing increases the acidity and the sugar feeds the microorganisms, increasing the organic matter in the compost.

Prevent flatulence. Add a can of Coca-Cola to a pot of pinto beans when cooking to neutralize the gas.

Relieve an upset stomach, nausea, or the pangs of food poisoning. Open a can of Coca-Cola, let it sit until it goes flat (roughly thirty minutes), then drink the defizzed real thing. Coca-Cola syrup is used an elixir to cure upset stomaches, and it still works, according to The Doctor’s Book of Home Remedies. Letting the bubbles out of the soda prevents the carbonation from further upsetting your stomach.

Kill slugs or snails. Fill jar lids with flat Coca-Cola and set in the garden. Slugs and snails, attracted by sweet soda, will slither into the jar lid and be killed by the acids in the Coke.

Mousse hair. Mix equal parts Coca-Cola and water in a trigger spray bottle and shake well. After getting out of the shower or bath, spray a light coat of the diluted Coke over your hair to give your locks a tousled look.

Soothe a jellyfish sting. Pouring the real thing over a jellyfish sting relieves the stinging pain. The acids in the Coke seem to neutralize the venom.

Clean blood stains from clothes. Saturate the blood stain with Coca-Cola, let sit five minutes, then launder as usual. Coke removes blood from clothing—even dried blood that has gone through the washing machine and dryer.

Soothe a sore throat. Gargle with Coca-Cola. The carbonation in the cola loosens phlegm.

Neutralize skunk odor. Pour four two-liter bottles of Coke into a bucket, sponge yourself down in shower, and rinse clean. The acids in the Coca-Cola kill skunk odor.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #9  

my ex said that when he was in the navy, they used coke or mt dew to clean the decks if there was a big wig coming on board - cleaned and shined!!
chasdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #10  
want2bTrue

S/C/G: 178/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStarzz View Post
Coca-Cola®

Clean a toilet bowl. Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl. Let the real thing sit for one hour, then brush and flush clean. The phosphoric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china, according to household-hints columnist Heloise.

Remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers. Rubbing the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola will help remove rust spots, according to household-hints columnist Mary Ellen.

Clean corrosion from car battery terminals. Pour a can of carbonated Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion, according to Heloise.

Cook with Coca-Cola. The Coca-Cola Consumer Information Center offers a free packet of recipes including a Mustard Herb Dressing (an Italian style salad dressing made with one-half cup of Coca-Cola), a Twin Cheese Dip (requiring three-quarter cup of Coca-Cola and doubling as a sandwich filling), and Sweet-Sour Cabbage (using one-half cup of Coca-Cola and two tablespoons of bacon drippings).

Loosen a rusted bolt. Mary Ellen suggests applying a cloth soaked in a carbonated soda to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

Bake a moist ham. Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

Remove grease from clothes. Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy work clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular wash cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains, according to Mary Ellen.

Clean rust in a bathtub. Saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca-Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the Coke removes rust.

Clean milk stains from clothes. Saturate the milk stains with a can of Coca-Cola, let the garment sit for five minutes, then launder in your regular wash.

Make barbecue sauce. Make an excellent barbecue sauce by mixing Coca-Cola with Heinz Ketchup. Brush the mixture on chicken or ribs while grilling.

Prevent an asthma attack. If you feel the onset of an asthma attack, drink two cans of Coke. The caffeine in Coke can help thwart an asthma attack, according to the book Home Remedies from the Country Doctor.

Relieve constipation. Drinking a can of the real thing can have a laxative result.

Prevent diarrhea. When traveling through developing countries where the risk of getting diarrhea is high, drinking Coca-Cola helps minimize your chances of getting the trots, according to The Doctor’s Book of Home Remedies. The acids in Coca Cola help reduce the amount of E. Coli bacteria in your intestines, inhibiting the production of toxins that would otherwise prevent your intestines from absorbing water.

Condition hair. To give your hair a great shine, pour a can of Coca Cola into your hair, working it in well, then rinse your hair with water.

Fertilize azaleas or gardenias. Watering azaleas or gardenias with Classic Coke increases the acidity in the soil, which azaleas love, and boosts plant performance. The sugar in the Coke feeds microorganisms in the soil, increasing the organic matter in the soil.

Clean eyeglasses. The phosphoric acid cleans the grunge from eyeglasses, then rinse with water.

Clean tarnished pennies. Fill a drinking glass with Coca-Cola and drop in the pennies. Let sit for one hour, then wipe clean with a soft cloth.

Strip paint off metal patio furniture. Cover the spot you wish to strip for one week with a bath towel saturated with Coca-Cola. Add more Coke every day to keep the towel wet. The paint strips right off.

Get rid of fruit flies. Use an electric drill with a one-quarter-inch bit to drill a hole in the cap of a two liter Coke bottle. Leave one inch of Classic Coke (not diet or caffeine-free) in the bottom of the bottle, and set outside. Fruit flies will crawl into the bottle to enjoy the Real Thing, but won’t be able to get back out.

Boost a compost bin. Pouring flat Coca-Cola into the compost pile helps jump start the microorganisms. The Real Thing increases the acidity and the sugar feeds the microorganisms, increasing the organic matter in the compost.

Prevent flatulence. Add a can of Coca-Cola to a pot of pinto beans when cooking to neutralize the gas.

Relieve an upset stomach, nausea, or the pangs of food poisoning. Open a can of Coca-Cola, let it sit until it goes flat (roughly thirty minutes), then drink the defizzed real thing. Coca-Cola syrup is used an elixir to cure upset stomaches, and it still works, according to The Doctor’s Book of Home Remedies. Letting the bubbles out of the soda prevents the carbonation from further upsetting your stomach.

Kill slugs or snails. Fill jar lids with flat Coca-Cola and set in the garden. Slugs and snails, attracted by sweet soda, will slither into the jar lid and be killed by the acids in the Coke.

Mousse hair. Mix equal parts Coca-Cola and water in a trigger spray bottle and shake well. After getting out of the shower or bath, spray a light coat of the diluted Coke over your hair to give your locks a tousled look.

Soothe a jellyfish sting. Pouring the real thing over a jellyfish sting relieves the stinging pain. The acids in the Coke seem to neutralize the venom.

Clean blood stains from clothes. Saturate the blood stain with Coca-Cola, let sit five minutes, then launder as usual. Coke removes blood from clothing—even dried blood that has gone through the washing machine and dryer.

Soothe a sore throat. Gargle with Coca-Cola. The carbonation in the cola loosens phlegm.

Neutralize skunk odor. Pour four two-liter bottles of Coke into a bucket, sponge yourself down in shower, and rinse clean. The acids in the Coca-Cola kill skunk odor.
WOW! that's impressive! i think i want to move it from my fridge to under my sink with the ajax! lol
want2btrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #11  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

So Coke is an all-purpose cleaner, a recipe enhancer, and a cure all for body ailments. Fascinating stuff!!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #12  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

But will it get the smell of oil/grease out of clothes? It sounds like it just gets the stains out.

BTW, would Diet Coke work all this magic, or is it just regular Coke?
princess_peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I had no idea Coke was so good for cleaning! Good to know! We have all these greasy, oily rags and t-shirts (of DHs), and I have never known how to get the smell out.

I'm so glad I stopped drinking soda!!!! I have maybe one or two a year. That's some powerful stuff.

Thanks for the interesting info
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #14  

I was amazed, and disgusted, to read all that. I remember getting an email about it a long time ago, so when someone mentioned loosening a bolt, I had to look it up. Kinda sorry I did, lol. My mom drinks coke, and now I wonder if she actually has internal organs anymore.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Coke isn't good for our bodies cause it really can do some freaky stuff, but most of that....myth. Mythbusters exposed quite a few of the Coke myths awhile back. It wouldn't take stains off a driveway, but it would dissolve a steak...if it sat in there for quite a long time, like overnight or something...you could see it eating away at the steak. I guess Coke gets hungry for a good steak like the rest of us.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote