General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Exclamation Today Show's wedding series: ring a ding ding?

Once again it's time for the Today Show people (with the help of you the viewers) to plan an on-the-air wedding, and this morning they showed the choices of wedding rings. Every. single. freaking. year. when they trot out the wedding rings, it's a band of diamonds and/or other gemstones all around for the bride and a plain band for the groom (actually I think one of the choices this year had a single diamond in the groom's ring). Now a wedding or equivalent is not in my cards right now (and probably never), but if it were my tastes would run to something of plain metal (no stones) with an inscription or pretty design, there are so many cool rings out there fitting that description, and even rings in untraditional metals like titanium (which can be made in really neat colors). How come those metalsmiths never get their chance on TV? Is De Beers giving Today a kickback? You'd think with awareness of blood diamonds people might be wary of buying diamonds (yes I know, Canada is a big diamond-producing nation now so you can get Canadian bling in good conscience)? Of course I suspect Today thinks everybody earns $1 million a year or more and can afford to go overhead with this glitz: NEWS FLASH a lot of us don't make that kind of $ and cop the Rhett Butler 'tude !
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #2  
pole princess!

S/C/G: 136.5/136.5/107

Height: 4'10"

ANOther: I saw that today! I love wedding stuff. I have been engaged before but broke it off. I have been with my current guy for 3 years now and he says we are nowhere near marriage ready - he is right, we may not even be compatible but that is a whole other story I'm a bit of a princess - i love the lavish stuff. Unfortunatly for me, it's like that saying "Champaign taste - beer budget"" HAHA! The boyfriend has always said he can't afford me!
Blueyedblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't watch the today show (or many shows) but your title caught my eye Personally, I don't like a lot of glitz myself and don't care for rings with diamonds all the way around. I went and looked up what the choices were and I personally didn't care for any of them although the sapphire and diamond one was interesting but I'm not a yellow metal person.

When I looked at rings for myself, I looked at different metals, different designs, different stones, no stones, etc. I was very happy with my overall choices. My weight loss though has left me not fitting them anymore so I have a temporary replacement, a $20 silver ring which I enjoy as well
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #4  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I have been sporting a cheapie also, just because my actual wedding ring doesnt fit right anymore....but oh well. Good excuse to get a new one...lol
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #5  
Just Me

You can get yours resized! When I lose 50 more lbs, I'm getting mine resized.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

When trying to appeal to the masses, shows like the Today show display those things that appeal to the most people. Unfortunately, EVERYONE seems to buy into the wedding industry "must haves", which are created totally by big business and which feeds upon itself. Sorry if I sound cynical, and sorry in advance to all those in the industry, but who really says that you have to have a diamond? And have you noticed that 20 years ago deBeers ads said "how much is 2 weeks salary worth to you?" under a photo of a happy woman sporting a diamond. Now it reads, "how much is 2 months salary worth to you?" and the model has a huge, big-a** diamond or three. Traditionally, engagement rings featured pearls, not diamonds. Diamonds only came into vogue with diamond company advertising campaigns! So now you have bridal magazines dictating what "today's bride" should have, and these magazines are made through the advertising income paid by the companies that produce these products, and people who buy into this culture and consume the products channel the money to the companies producing the stuff, who make NEW stuff and fund the magazines to promote them, thus driving the industry! Too bad there isn't much individuality left, anymore...
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #7  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm pretty jaded about rings because the one I got from my ex-fiance was perfect -- everything I ever could have wanted -- but the relationships was not! Since breaking it off, I've snapped out of my daydream a bit and now realize that a "perfect" ring or wedding does not make a perfect relationship!

As for my dbf, I really hope he doesn't spend 2-3 months' salary on a ring for me. That's too much money to spend on little old me! Besides, the sparkle in our eyes when we're together is far brighter than the sparkle any ring can offer... (Sorry, that was disgustingly sappy.)
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #8  
Just Me

Oh 2 weeks salary is crazy... when I started looking at rings, I started with ones that was less than a weeks salary. One reason is, what if the ring gets lost? There are also so many good things to spend money on like a nice trip.