General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #1  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Please tell me I'm adopted...

My entire family is insane. Seriously.

Today's my b-day, so I called Mom to thank her for the card she sent. Well, the conversation quickly became all about her (as usual) and her recent tiff with her sister. It seems that Sis sent Mom a blunt, somewhat hateful email and of course Mom wants me to read it and give my opinion... in other words, reassure her that she is "right". Well, I can't honestly do that since Sis was right on target with many of her comments, even if her choice of words was rather tactless.

*sigh* What to do? My preference is to stay out of the sibling rivalry. Actually, it kinda pisses me off that Mom would dump this crap on me on my b-day. I don't ask for much, so I think I deserve a day of uninterrupted happiness. And they wonder why I moved several states away.

Can anyone relate to simply not liking their family?
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

YES YES YES!!!!

Are we sisters?? In fact, can we be? That way, I can trade in MY family! I am currently in the middle of exactly the same kind of crap, and that's all it is - crap. Easier to say than do anything about though

For what it's worth - here are some special balloons from me to you, and I hope your evening is not spoiled by your mother's manipulation of you. I thank you humbly for your email - I thought it was only MY idiot family that drove me insane...

Happy Birthday!

Heather

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 08-28-2007 at 09:42 AM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Happy Birthday!!!

You're not alone... my mother pulls the same kind if thing. My recent emergency major surgery was totally trumped by my brother's ongoing battle for custody and placement of his son... although I now know that she tells me all about everyone else and tells everyone else all about me. Hopefully, it will make you feel better to know that you are probably not the only person in your family who is sick of hearing about everyone else while being ignored.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm glad you were born!!!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Well actually no....But HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! I hope the rest of your day was much better!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #5  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

I rather like my family, but the in-laws are a whole 'nother can of worms

I just came over to offer hugs and a great big
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #6  

Happy Birthday - we must be sisters because we have the same mother!!!

Remember, your best gift for your birthday is that you do live far away -- I LOVE the 3.5 hour ride it takes to get to my family -- because after a two-day visit with them, it reminds me why I left!!

You will get dragged in the mess -- that's the whole "triangle of shame" that we live in!! Enjoy it -- I'm sure there are people out there who's crazy family may have passed and they miss the stress!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:02 AM   #7  
Ice Cream Slave

S/C/G: Waist size: 20/20/8

Happy Birthday! My extended family is nuts as well.

My advice: stay as neutral as Switzerland.
JellyBelly1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

YES! I have relatives like that. I just avoid them as much as possible and refuse to be put in the middle. One of them is my own mother though so that's a bit hard. I'm about to quit working for her though so that should help. But I know I'm definitely not adopted since I look so much like my mom especially when I'm thin.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #9  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Many thanks for all the good thoughts.

My day got brighter after a few hours browsing at B&N and phone call from my 90-year-old grandma. She knows nothing of the little tiff, so the chat was all about me. (Gee, that sounds selfish.) She's quite the handful these days, but I admire her spunk and tenacity. I hope to be just as much of a pain-in-the-*** when I get that age.

<<<<<< Neutral as Switzerland.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #10  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Happy Birthday!!!

You can add me to the list of familes who are nuts and mothers who are obviously narcissistic!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I was always a bit of a differnet temperament than my Mother was used to. I don't know how many times I was scolded for talking too much or laughing at the dinner table or sitting cross legged or tucking my dress up so that I could ride my bike or singing out loud ....
They used to tell me they found me a in a ditch.
Sometimes after a family gathering my Dh and adult kids still think so
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #12  
hara hachi bu

Happy Belated Birthday!

I have a family kind of like that. Somehow, my birthday always gets screwed up.

I would have told your mother that, on your birthday, a "gift" would be to not have to be put in the middle of a fight, and to not have to give an uncomfortable opinion.

Glad your day got better!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 PM   #13  
Pending Email Confirmation

Ugh - my entire DH's family is like this... I am glad I am not related by blood that's all I can say! I wonder how it is that my husband is...

Happy Birthday anyway!!
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #14  
pole princess!

S/C/G: 136.5/136.5/107

Height: 4'10"

Happy belated birthday!

I have to say - Im happy I can't relate - i love my family. I feel sorry for you having to deal with this though. that must suck.
Blueyedblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I can relate and then some. I'd simply tell your mom that you really don't want in the middle of THEIR disputes and ESPECIALLY not on your birthday and leave it at that.

My brother and I both agree with a lot of relatives about our parents, but we'd never say that to them or we'd never hear the end of it. My dad is loud and obnoxious and mom's holier than thou. We'll let the relatives keep pointing it out to them.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote