Old 07-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #30

Good Evening, Flowers! Today is the longest day (for hours of daylight) of the year, right? It is humid here although not too hot. Tomorrow is supposed to be back in the 90s. I'd just as soon get the hot weather over with before school starts . . . in my dreams anyway. I went to the grocery store this morning and have been getting food ready for tomorrow ever since. We are taking turkey filets to grill, potatoes to grill, a grape salad, hot dogs, veggies, chips, and a chocolate sheet cake made with buttermilk. Not too WW friendly, but I needed something large for all the people that will be there for two meals.

"Gma" -- Boy, you had some nightmare for sure! I don't have them very often; in fact, I don't think I dream very often or else I just don't remember them. The hand bag looks wonderful! That is funny about the button. Is the yarn varigated or did you have to change colors as you went along? Jackson sure is a cutie. I wish babies would stay little and cuddly like that just a bit longer. They grow up much too quickly. It's too bad you don't live closer to Jay and his family.

Gloria -- WOW!!!!! Your family certainly knows how to put on a celebration!! What wonderful memories for you to cherish! A limo ride, CDs, a cookbook, fancy food -- I am amazed! I do think the best part was Catalina's question about having babies after you repeated your vows. That is a classic! When is your anniversary in Sept.? Our's is the 3rd.

Speaking of being frustrated . . . I also made a WM run this morning. It was about 11:30 and they were busy. I always park and go in the north door because the grocery part is in the south end of the store and I rarely get groceries there. Anyhow, I ended up getting more than I anticipated and headed towards a north end check out only to find none were open. There are two self service lines in the south end of the store and all of the other south check outs were open with lines of people waiting. I followed another lady who had about the same amount that I did and while we were saying how much we hated WM, an employee came up and told us to go to the self service check out. I looked at her and said I don't work for WM and stayed where I was, and so did the other lady. Finally another employee came and opened another check out lane. When I finally got to the car -- I park clear out and away from all the other junk cars, a junk car came roaring up beside me and a dirty, ratty looking guy gave me the hard luck story about being homeless and he didn't have money for gas, etc. There was a pack of cigarettes in the seat beside him and I noticed that the back seat didn't have anything in it for being homeless. I just said I didn't give handouts. I'm so glad it was broad daylight -- I've never had that happen before. It was a bit unnerving for sure.

Have a nice evening and a relaxing Sunday! We will spend the day at MIL's -- 8 adults and 6 kids under 5 . . . sounds busy to me!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies. Well, it certainly could be a better morning for me, but I am not in the hospital so that is one good thing. I was straightening up the house (Jean, you have always warned me about cleaning too much ) and had unloaded and put away dishes, did a couple other things and walked back through the kitchen to watch the ballgame. I slipped on a bit of water from a glass or something that was in the dishwasher, fell and big time dislocated my bad knee again. It popped back in right away, but I am now back on the walker, barely able to walk. I put ice on the front and back of my knee all afternoon and evening and will put heat on it today. It usually takes several days until the knee is back to normal from one of these incidents. The muscles and tendons in and around the knee tighten up to protect it I guess and it really hurts to try and put weight on it. I have to get up and walk around on it though or it totally stiffens up. I slept, if you can call it that, in the recliner having taken a percocet for the pain last night. The percocet made me itch all night so I was scratching here and there all night! lol It has worn off so I am not scratching anymore. When Jack gets up, I am going to have him bring down stuff so I can clean up, wash my hair, brush my teeth and change clothing because I can't climb the stairs.

Gloria: What a wonderful family you have to have done something so incredible for you both. I know you have to be so proud of your children and grandkids. My grandson looks just like his daddy. In fact, one of my friend's that I sent a pic to said, doesn't he have a mother, he looks just like his dad. Our one sadness is that my dh's father didn't live to see his great grandson, who is named after him.

Jean: Hope you have fun today with everyone at you MIL's.
The yarn comes like that and it knits into a pattern like that. I think that is really cool. Not like the old days where if you wanted different colors you had to use different colors of yarn.

Well, I just checked on a chicken I put in the crockpot. I am making chicken and noodles for dinner today. I need to get back to the recliner I guess and continue my hp book. I am about halfway through. I also have lots of knitting to keep me busy, but sure am going to miss not being able to swim for a week or so.

Have a super duper Sunday everyone!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! We just got home from MIL's. I am tired and heading off to bed shortly. It was windy but the kids didn't seem to mind -- they love the beach and the water. Bob's sister used to be a bottle blonde and has now dyed her hair black which makes her look older than she really is. She has lots of aches and pains with MS and will tell anyone who will listen. I wouldn't want to trade places with her; she is lucky to get around under her own power and yet wants people to feel sorry for her in the mean time.

"Gma" -- I am so sorry to read about your knee. I've slipped on wet spots so know that it is easy to do. I hope your knee is better and you can get a good night's rest. Don't you think Jack's dad is watching little Jackson from above? I'm sure he would be very proud with a huge smile on his face. I always try to imagine my parents as angels watching over me and my family. It is a comforting thought for me.

I'm heading for bed! Have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #4  

Good morning gals. I am up and gimping around. Still have to use the walker for any distance, but can stand and limp around a bit without it. I am alone today so I have to stay in the chair a good part of the day and not get too rambunctious. I know how to handle this as it has happened before, just have to give it time to relax the muscles and tendons and then strengthen the knee again with swimming.

Jean: My older sister always colors her hair or frosts it so she looks 100 years old. She also wears it in an unflattering style that ages her. I keep telling both my sisters, it isn't so bad just letting the gray grow out, but they don't want it so who am I to say different.

Being confined to the chair a lot, I finished the Harry Potter book, did half of the shawl I am making for my ribbon top, and half the baby's hat. I imagine being alone today I will get a lot of that stuff done since I have no one but the pets to talk to.

I did get the downstairs chores done, but am not attempting a shower until Jack gets home. I don't want to push my luck! lol

Have a great Monday everyone!
Faye
Old 07-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies!

Faye, sorry to hear about your fall. I've done that myself...falling on a wet spot on the kitchen floor only it's my lower back, not the knee, that always seems to take the brunt of the fall. Jack IV is adorable! Another awesome bag done...I really need to get knitting. I had this lightbulb moment. Stan gets so cold at dialysis (they all do because of the anemia), even though he covers with a quilt, I thought I'd knit him a really heavy sweater but only put one sleeve since his graft arm has to be uncovered. I'm trying to think of a way to zip it on and off so he could also wear it when he isn't on dialysis. I really need some more projects...

Gloria, you certainly have a great and loving family. Congratulations on your 50th...a huge accomplishment.

Jean, I hope you let Walmart and the police know that "homeless" guy is cruising the parking lot. I used to love the self checker at Winn Dixie (they closed here).

I've finished Harry Potter, got absolutely nothing done this weekend but laundry and grocery shopping. Stayed up most of the night Saturday. I refused to peak at the end so had to keep going.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I just received an upsetting email from a relative -- she would be my half-aunt (?) but is a year older than I am because my grandfather had two different families. Anyhow, Faye you may remember my story about the relative who had the heart/liver transplant a few months before my dad died, was doing so well that he was a pall bearer, and then got an infection and died a few months later. Anyhow, they have a son who is 25 and dove into a pool hitting his head over the weekend. He is paralyzed and in ICU in a Mpls. hospital where the heart transplant took place 5 years ago. He is alert and answering questions so that is good. Anyhow, that has ruined my day more or less. Please keep them in your prayers.

"Gma" -- I think you are wise to spend the day in your recliner. I suppose your furry children think that's great too! Be extra careful taking your shower!

Susan -- It never occurred to me to contact the police about the homeless guy. I'm sure the guy would be long gone by the time they showed up. I was just rattled because I've never had that happen before. I mean this is small town rural America! I know the panhandlers hit the churches for handouts and we've had to start locking our church at night because we had people coming in and sleeping there. They'd leave food wrappers and garbage for the custodians to clean up. The sweater for Stan sounds like a great idea! Maybe you could market the idea! Would a quilted jacket be any easier to make?

I need to get busy although I don't feel much like doing anything. Have laundry going and some shirts to iron for Bob.

Have a nice rest of the day and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #7  

Good morning girls! Limping around, but without the walker today and it isn't excruciating to go from a sitting to standing position so that is progress!

Susan: I belong to a knitting website and ask about patterns for something for Stan and here was the only answer I got back, but I think this might work, actually, "I've never seen a pattern for this type of sweater, but could imagine at least one way to do it.... I'd advise knitting any drop-shoulder sweater pattern, but knitting the sleeve that has to come off an inch or so longer at the top (shoulder) end, and adding in a row of buttonholes around the top of the sleeve (skipping the section right under the arm, where a button might be uncomfortable). Then, instead of sewing on the sleeve, sew buttons on the body of the sweater, and button the sleeve on!" I will continue to keep an eye out for other suggestions for you.

Jean: Oh that is so sad about that young man. I hope he gets better really fast. He will certainly be prayer for. How's the basement project coming along?

I am almost down with the wrap that matches my top so I will be styling on vacation! lol I am about halfway with the baby's hat, but need to get back to Thomas's sweater and get it finished.

Not much else newsworthy around here. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the stupid mayor will follow through and give us the bonus he said he would in August. It would be nice to have the extra money to take, but I am not too hopeful as this man tends to be a liar!

Have a good day all!
Faye
Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies!

Jean, I'll be praying for that young man.

Faye, I like that suggestion to button the sleeve into place. I'll have to do a little work on that one. I could do a quilted jacket, but I haven't knitted a sweater in years and I'd like to do one. I also think the sweater might be warmer.

Going to use my Joanne coupon and get yarn this weekend.

Boss's phone quit working so have to get to work on that.

Have a good day!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is playing hide 'n seek again today, but the humidity is sky high. It takes your breath away when you walk out the door. I've been doing laundry and more half - hearted sorting this afternoon. The latest report, from this morning, on Ryan is that he had a rough night because of respiratory problems and has less feeling in his hands than he did yesterday. I'm hoping for a more positive update later today.

"Gma" -- Glad to hear you are getting around a bit better today. Bob is bringing home more plastic containers for the basement. Eventually it will get done. I'm not a basement person and really don't like spending time down there even though it is "finished." It was fine for the kids when they were home -- I didn't have to look at the mess and they would pick it up when it got too deep.

Susan -- You are probably right about a knitted sweater being warmer than something quilted. Good luck on your project!

Thank you both for your thoughts and prayers for Ryan. I have a feeling he's going to need all the prayers he can get.

Hope you all have a nice day and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 AM   #10  

Good morning gals! I am hoping little by little to work on the house today cleaning. I am going to try and see how it goes a little at a time, maybe one room and rest or part of a room and rest. I somehow strained it a bit yesterday in front of the refrigerator, not sure how, it usually doesn't take much for at least 2-3 weeks, but is sure has been sore in the front. I can walk, though limping ok, but have to go slow and not get ahead of myself.

Jack took the car over for inspection so we can get the tags and now can't get the interior light off. I know he touched something, but he is a man and gets mad if I make suggestions. He pulled the fuse for the time being until he can see if he can find the problem. He said it happened at the inspection station, he turned on and off the headlights and the dome light came on and stayed on so, who knows?

Susan: Lionbrand.com has really great free patterns that you can get and will probably be able to find a pattern to suit your needs there. Let me know if I can help you find something, ok?

Jean: Every morning when I login to post I pray for Ryan and I will continue to do so. Poor kid. For years people have said that most swimming pools are not made to dive into because they aren't deep enough. I feel for his family, I truly do.

I have my wrap done now and put into a ziploc bag. I am going to have to do that with the top too or everything I own will have sparkle on it when I get to Vegas! lol It turned out great and was just a simple garter stitch but turned out well. I am working on Thomas's sweater this morning as I am almost to the armholes on it so want to finish the front so I can start on the sleeves.

Today is bill paying day so I better get to it! Have a great Wednesday all.

Faye
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #11  

Good morning, flowers!

Jean - I wanted to mention the Summer Solistis (longest day of the year) was JUNE 21, not July. I can tell the sun is coming up later because my cat is getting up later - and wanting to be fed! I'm having your nephew added to our prayer chain at church.

Faye - let the housework go for a few days and get the knee healed up a little! I wish I could knit as fast as you do.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I have a haircut this afternoon and so help me if she cuts it too short, I will go somewhere else next time! I don't really need one, but she is going on vacation next week. Bob just left for a retirement coffee for another agent enroute to MIL's. It seems the outlet to the air-conditioner is dead. Bob looked at it Sunday and decided to put a whole new one in. I hope it's just the outlet and not the air-conditioner itself. For some reason the cat is shedding more than usual; I wonder if that is some sort of weather prediction.

"Gma" -- The latest journal post on Ryan is that there is no change. I'm not sure how long they will keep him in ICU to heal. I did go back and read that he fractured the C4-5 vertebra. He is running a temp. now and they think he may have swallowed water. I appreciate the prayers! Don't work too hard today . . . whatever you don't get done can wait.

Susan -- I guess I was doing some wishful thinking about the longest day! DUH! I do know that it is in June. It's no wonder I can tell the difference in the direction of the sun in the morning.

I need to keep moving and finish vacuuming the fur upstairs. Have a nice rest of the day. Tomorrow is Thursday and another week is almost gone.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #13  

Good morning gals! Hope your Thursday has started out well. I am working on Thomas's sweater and have the sleeve about 1/4 done. I may put it aside in awhile and knit the neckline on and sew up the sweater. I get bored doing one thing all the time.

Susan: I am not sure I knit fast, more that I have so much time on my hands. I don't watch tv during the day except for early morning when I watch "The Nanny," and prefer to just knit or read. I usually swim around 7:45 and since I am not tackling it until next week sometime I have the extra hour there too. I really want to get started on my dd's sweater because the yarn color is so gorgeous, but that one I am going to need help with. The pattern is a bit confusing for me.

Jean: I think your brain doesn't want to admit it is almost time to go back to school again so it is backed up a month! I sure hope Ryan can make some progress. That kind of injury is such an awful thing to happen and to someone so young. I will continue to pray for him every morning.

I am reading this great book by the true crime author Ann Rule called, "Too Late to Say Goodbye." It is so sad because her young 7 year old son found her dead on her bed with a gunshot to the head and her scummy husband is the murderer and from what I understand, murdered another woman 10 years before that in the same way who was a girlfriend. It is a very interesting book though.

Well, I am off to do some more knitting and such then I am going to slowly get upstairs and make the bed and such.

Have a good Thursday everyone!
Faye
Old 07-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #14  

Good afternoon, ladies! Boy, am I glad it's Thursday and my week is over...boss is not very easy to get along with right now and I'm tired of dealing with him.

I'm going to go get paint tomorrow and paint my family room. I was going to hire a painter but it's nothing I can't do now that I have more time and I want it done. I am going to get a painter to do the stairwell, upstairs hall and our bedroom (sloping cathedral ceiling I can't reach). There is chair rail all around so I am painting the bottom Williamsburg Blue and the top and trim white.

It keeps looking like rain, but we haven't had any. Everything is so dry right now, it's terrible.

Hoping to find a little time for quilting over the weekend.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #15  

Good Evening Flowers! For some reason I could not get into the 3FC site this afternoon. I finally gave up and decided to try later. I started out my day with a WM run and stopped at school to pick up a calendar and check my email. I've been to my new dentist (I have the beginning of a cavity which my old dentist was watching ; they are now making appts. in Dec.! I like her! The furnace guy was here and cleaned 11 years worth of dust and crud out of the furnace innards. Bob vacuums what he can and I change the filters, but never thought to have it checked yearly. This afternoon I went for my mammogram; the hospital just got the latest state-of-the-art digital machine. I kept wanting to hold my breath and she kept telling me to breathe, that I didn't have to hold my breath anymore. I stopped at the Hallmark shop to pick up some cards and saw Christmas ornaments are out so picked up the ones I get for the grandkids. Now I don't feel like starting any projects so guess I will goof away the rest of the time. Tomorrow is another day and I will accomplish much because I don't have to go anywhere.

"Gma" -- Is your book a true story? I like mysteries, but I like everyone to live happily ever after! Does being in the pool bother your knee? If you had some exercises to do that might help the healing a little faster; our sports rehab place just put in a pool for therapy sessions.

Susan -- Enjoy your long weekend! Painting sounds like work but it will be a good job to have done!

The thunder has started so I had better get off the computer. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!