General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Sit Down Homer ~ I Have A Confession.....

Angie and I were watching TV tonight when we saw an ad for the upcoming SIMPSONS movie. We have a confession ~ neither of us has ever seen more than a minute or two of the TV show. Are we missing something? After all, it has been on 18 years and coming back for another season.

What is your take on it?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/165/143

Height: 5"8.5

Hi EZ! Well, you and I are polar opposites in The Simpsons Department!! I've been watching it since it came to Australia in 1990, I was 11 or 12!! I not only watch it regularly, but I used to record each episode, but now that the DVDs are out, no need!! I know most episodes intimately, often word for word. I saw Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart) in concert, and won a Simpsons quiz against two guys, which scored me a signed T-shirt! One of my proudest moments!!

This movie coming out is a momentous occassion in my life and I can't wait! It's hard to believe you guys haven't seen much of the show, as it's hard to avoid I think. But if you're not into the humour of it, then why waste your time, you know? For me, there's so much to love about it, it's funny on many levels at the same time, and they're terribly good at political and social satire, without coming off as arrogant or malicious. There's really humour of every kind in each episode, which is probably why people from all walks of life/political leanings/levels of intelligence can get something out of it. I know that some people have trouble getting past the fact that it's animated, as a lot of adults seem to think that's for kids, but I can assure you there's plenty there for adults.

It's a show you can pick up at any point and not have to know a convoluted backstory to understand what's happening, so if you want to give it a try, just tune in sometime!
Diana the Hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #3  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Hi,
My sister asked me if I had ever seen the show, which I haven't and she told me that it was good, funny etc. I don't know why but I just didn't have the desire to watch. I used to love reading the cartoons on a paper we used to get here called The Phoenix New Times. The guy who draws the cartoon, Matt something, used to draw Bart and another character named Binky. This was during the late 70's. Bart at that time was a little weird looking, he looks much better now.
I would crack up at the cartoon strip, but no, I don't watched The Simpsons on a regular basis.
Maybe I will tonight, just to see.
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #4  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Oh yes! The Simpsons is a phenomenal show! So inappropriately funny at times, but I have to admit now that Family Guy has come along...it may have the Simpsons beat in that department. I mean sometimes I can't believe the things they will say on that show. But man, is it funny! I highly recommend both!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #5  
Ready to Learn

S/C/G: 280/267/180

Height: 5' 5"

The Simpsons are a great cartoon. They have been around for many years and will be around many more. I think you should check out the movie if you want a good laugh.
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #6  

I used to watch it a lot with my mom when I was younger. Sometimes if it's on, I'll watch it for a few, but I'm not a regular viewer anymore. It's funny, I just usually have so much going on I don't have time to watch it.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We don't watch the Simpsons, Family Guy or South Park (or any other cartoon for that matter).

My son is hooked on cartoons, but he doesn't watch the above shows, either.

My daughter sometimes watches South Park. So does my Father-in-law. He thinks it's hilarious. I don't get it.

I have to say that we do watch too much TV, though!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #8  
Pending Email Confirmation

I think most kids my age range (mid 20['s to 30's) grew up with the Simpsons. I don't love it nearly as much as my husband does -but it most definitely was a household name growing up.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

My kids are 24 and 26, my step-daughter is 19 and nephew is 16, they all grew up in the Simpsons era but never watched. I am not against cartoons at all, grew up with THE FLINTSTONES on friday nights.

I think when the Simpsons first came out, there was all that talk about Bart not doing his homework and stuff that my first wife and I decided that it wasn't something the kids should watch. From that time on, no one in my house ever did.

Maybe I will check out some re-runs!

Thanks gals for your input!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 07-22-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 07-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hm. If you thought not doing homework was questionable then I have a feeling you will really not enjoy the Simpsons... just a feeling.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

That is why I so LOOOOOOOVE you Lizzie! Always got my back! hugs!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It was never appropriate for children - it, like South Park, was meant for an adult audience.

I've watched it because it apparently is on ALL the time, and it has funny moments but I would never go out of my way to watch it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #13  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

I've never sat down and watched an episode. There's always something else on that I want to see.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

I used to watch it all of the time, but haven't lately. It is pretty funny. My DH is going to the movie ASAP. He can do impressions sooooo well and his Homer is dead on. Makes me laugh.

I have to admit, I think South Park is hilarious. I am so ashamed

Kerri
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Simpsons has PG-13 to adult content...but IMO Family Guy is more R rated, and some episodes of Southpark honestly should be NC-17. Seriously.

Out of all of them, as funny as it may be, my children are not going to watch Southpark. It's humour is borderline X rated in some episodes-talking about explicit sex, molestation, potty humour, and everything else you can possibly imagine. I watched an episode recently where Cartman, the main character, basically was "reversing digestion" as in, putting food where it usually comes out, and it came out where it usually goes in. I won't get any more explicit than that...but let's just say the show DID.

I haven't seen a Simpsons episode get THAT bad...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote