View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #18

S/C/G: 200/Ethan born 1-11-13/130

I also had to come to terms with the fact I will be watching how I eat forever. Honestly, it took 20 years for me to accept it. 20 years where I was heavy and miserable and had chafed thighs when I wore a skirt and hated myself. I finally accepted it, I do watch what I eat everyday, and will for the rest of my life and I am HAPPY. I am slender, I have collar bones, I love how I look in clothes. I love to go shopping. I love the food I eat.

For 20 years, I wanted to diet short term. I wanted to be "perfect" and always went very hard core - chicken breasts, ice berg lettuce, Snackwells, Yoplait yogurt. Unsatisfying, tasteless diet frankenfoods. I was always hungry, restless and bingy. Miserable. I hated dieting and wanted it to be over so I could eat normally. It took me 20 years to come to terms with the fact that dieting for short term did not produce long term results and that when I quit "dieting" and ate normally, the weight always came back.

When I decided to lose weight this last time, I really LOOKED at my weight loss history and tried to figure out why I couldn't lose weight. What I found was - I COULD lose weight, I just always gained it back. So, I started thinking why do I gain the weight back? I realized, I gained the weight back because I always stopped dieting and started to eat "normally." This seems very clear and easy now, but it was a lightbulb moment when I really sat down and thought about it. I had to change normal.

What was key for me, was coming up with something that wasn't a "punitive diet." If I didn't like it, if I couldn't wait for it to be OVER, I wouldn't stick to it. I knew I had to stick to it. So, I came up with a plan that works for ME.
  • I love vegetables, so eating carrot sticks/sugar snap peas/grape tomatoes and pepper strips nearly every day for an afternoon snack works for me.
  • I love bread, pasta, tortillas, so switching to whole wheat versions and eating smaller portions worked for me.
  • I don't miss soda, creamy foods or fast food, so cutting that out of my life forever worked for me.
  • I can't stand to do Fitday everyday, but I don't mind estimating my calories (+/- 100) every day - I just add them up in my head.
  • I love going to restaurants with friends, so a weekly treat meal with a glass of wine and splitting a dessert works for me
  • I like cooking and going to the grocery store, so making dinner almost every night works for me
  • I like salads and the little cafe in my work building has a decent salad bar, I eat salad for lunch almost everyday and that works for me
  • I don't have to have the largest size anymore. For example, instead of the Venti full fat latte with whip, I am happy with a tall non fat sugar free latte. I love coffee and I didn't have to give it up!

It isn't a bad set of cards at all. I am healthy and happy and feel good about my food choices everyday.

What do you like, what works for you?
SIX YEARS at maintenance weight!

My very long weight loss story

"I saw an angel in the marble and I chiseled until I set it free."
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote