I also had to come to terms with the fact I will be watching how I eat forever. Honestly, it took 20 years for me to accept it. 20 years where I was heavy and miserable and had chafed thighs when I wore a skirt and hated myself. I finally accepted it, I do watch what I eat everyday, and will for the rest of my life and I am HAPPY
. I am slender, I have collar bones, I love how I look in clothes. I love to go shopping. I love the food I eat.
For 20 years, I wanted to diet short term. I wanted to be "perfect" and always went very hard core - chicken breasts, ice berg lettuce, Snackwells, Yoplait yogurt. Unsatisfying, tasteless diet frankenfoods. I was always hungry, restless and bingy. Miserable. I hated dieting and wanted it to be over so I could eat normally. It took me 20 years to come to terms with the fact that dieting for short term did not produce long term results and that when I quit "dieting" and ate normally, the weight always came back.
When I decided to lose weight this last time, I really LOOKED at my weight loss history and tried to figure out why I couldn't lose weight. What I found was - I COULD lose weight, I just always gained it back. So, I started thinking why do I gain the weight back? I realized, I gained the weight back because I always stopped dieting and started to eat "normally." This seems very clear and easy now, but it was a lightbulb moment when I really sat down and thought about it. I had to change normal.
What was key for me, was coming up with something that wasn't a "punitive diet." If I didn't like it, if I couldn't wait for it to be OVER, I wouldn't stick to it. I knew I had to stick to it. So, I came up with a plan that works for ME.
- I love vegetables, so eating carrot sticks/sugar snap peas/grape tomatoes and pepper strips nearly every day for an afternoon snack works for me.
- I love bread, pasta, tortillas, so switching to whole wheat versions and eating smaller portions worked for me.
- I don't miss soda, creamy foods or fast food, so cutting that out of my life forever worked for me.
- I can't stand to do Fitday everyday, but I don't mind estimating my calories (+/- 100) every day - I just add them up in my head.
- I love going to restaurants with friends, so a weekly treat meal with a glass of wine and splitting a dessert works for me
- I like cooking and going to the grocery store, so making dinner almost every night works for me
- I like salads and the little cafe in my work building has a decent salad bar, I eat salad for lunch almost everyday and that works for me
- I don't have to have the largest size anymore. For example, instead of the Venti full fat latte with whip, I am happy with a tall non fat sugar free latte. I love coffee and I didn't have to give it up!
It isn't a bad set of cards at all. I am healthy and happy and feel good about my food choices everyday.
What do you like, what works for you?