View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
ladyinweighting

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Height: 5'1"

Meg wrote, "What do you think about the studies cited in the book? What are your thoughts on weight and genetics? Are we absolving ourselves of responsibility if we believe that our weight is genetically determined? Or can the awareness that we may have the genetic cards stacked against us make us more careful and vigilant about our environment? Is the book conveniently overlooking the role that environment plays in the expression of genes?

Let me respond to each -
What do you think about the studies cited in the book? - I had heard about some of the studies cited before I read the book. For me, reading the book confirmed some of what I had previously learned. And then, my experience with myself and others I know is consistent with the book's premises.

What are your thoughts on weight and genetics? Are we absolving ourselves of responsibility if we believe that our weight is genetically determined? Or can the awareness that we may have the genetic cards stacked against us make us more careful and vigilant about our environment? I believe that other things being equal (e.g., no lack of food available, no illnesses), genetics influences weight. If we are looking for something to "blame," we most certainly can blame our parents/grandparents for yet one more problem they bestowed on us. If, on the other hand, we are looking for a way to get rid of the weight for good, this information can aid us in developing and implementing a plan to lose weight and keep it off. The plan I have developed - slightly modified since reading the book - is to lose an initial 15% of my weight around 30 lbs - and then, to maintain that for at least one year before working on the next 15%. I am hoping to "re-set" my "comfort zone."

The last question - Is the book conveniently overlooking the role that environment plays in the expression of genes?

I don't think the book overlooked the role of environment. It dealt with the influence of the diet industry and with marketing, media, and models/actors/actresses. It also dealt with the increasing amounts of food put on our plates at restaurants.

I think the author covered her bases here. Remember, 99% of the books out there focus on the environmental issues with little or no mention of the genetic issues. Not a bad thing to have one book view the problem from a different point of view.

Lynn